• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 3 Preview, Suggestions and general hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SEASON 3 NEWS AND HYPE

Season 2 was a big success and I'm particularly pleased with the amount feedback received on the forum. I urge you guys to keep it up.

Now we have reached the off season and Season 3 will not start until the tentative date of the October 4th. However, in order to keep the excitement alive and get the anticipation going for next season, I have decided to release some innovations for discussion.
------------------
TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE
With the restructure of the League to feature 10 teams, the whole format will have to be changed. As such, the season will run as follows...

1/ Two leagues. The names of these leagues are as yet undecided, so any suggestions will be considered. For now, I will call them the A and B leagues.
2/ The top five (5) teams will compete in the A league. This will be decided by the finish of teams in the previous season. This format will allow for a higher standard of competition in the Dev League.
3/ The interleague competition will be in a round robin format as usual.
4/ The bottom team in the A league will be demoted to the B league at the end of the season, and the top team in the B league will be promoted. The bottom team in the B league will be relegated from the Dev League and replaced by another team.
5/ The top 2 teams from each league compete in a playoff schedule as follows:-

Team 1 (A) v Team 1 (B); Team 2 (A) v Team 2 (B)
Finals: Winner v Winner

6/ All Star teams will be chosen from each league and will play a timeless Test and a 50-over match at the end of the season.

Any other suggestions and comments are welcome.
------------------
THE TEAMS
The teams which will be invited back for Season 3 are as follows...

5D
Australia A
New Zealand A
Zimbabwe A
South Africa A
England A
India A
CW Dev XI (of course :) )

West Indies A was relegated last season.

This season, there will be three new teams. One will act as the replacement for West Indies A and the other will make its Dev League debut. These teams are...

Veterans XI - Ian Botham will be lacing up his trainers to captain a team retired stars of the past. The team will feature such names as Viv Richards, Michael Atherton and Alan Donald.

CW 'A' Team - this will feature the premiere Dev players who are on the verge of playing for the CWXI. The remaining Dev players will play for the Dev XI.

Youth XI - this team will consist of talented players from around the world who are under the age of 21.
------------------
More info. on Season 3 to come pending discussion of the CWCBC and the consideration of suggestions and criticism from you guys.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You won't be in the 'A' side, you'll be in the standard Devs :P

When is the CWXI World Cup planned for, btw, and will we have a sensible schedule ;)?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
No you won't, not in your first season anyway. I played one SENSATIONAL season, so i'll hopefully be in the 'A's:D

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
course you two ll be in the as you have more experience...
and by soon enough i mean in the next season

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
When is the CWXI World Cup planned for, btw, and will we have a sensible schedule ;)?
We considered having the WC instead of the next tour to England, but ultimately the Board has decided that it is too soon to have such an event.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
all sounds pretty good.

i will try and think of some names for the comps / div and get back to ya

Mr Mxyzptlk

More food for thought and discussion...

The Veterans team will be selected soon. We need to pick 15 players and after brainstorming for about 15 minutes this afternoon, I came up with this rough list of 25+ retired players to choose from. I'm open to any suggestions for the final 15.

G.Gooch
M.Waugh
D.Haynes
M.Atherton
A.Border
R.Richardson
V.Richards
A.DeSilva
M.Goodwin
D.Cullinun
J.Rhodes
R.Smith
M.Crowe

A.Stewart
A.Parore
A.Flower
Moin Khan

J.Srinath
P.Strang
G.Allott
N.Johnson
P.Tuffnell
I.Botham
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
C.Ambrose
C.Walsh

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

The Veterans team will be selected soon. We need to pick 15 players and after brainstorming for about 15 minutes this afternoon, I came up with this rough list of 25+ retired players to choose from. I'm open to any suggestions for the final 15.

G.Gooch
M.Waugh
D.Haynes
M.Atherton
A.Border
R.Richardson
V.Richards
A.DeSilva
M.Goodwin
D.Cullinun
J.Rhodes
R.Smith
M.Crowe

A.Stewart
A.Parore
A.Flower
Moin Khan

J.Srinath
P.Strang
G.Allott
N.Johnson
P.Tuffnell
I.Botham
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
C.Ambrose
C.Walsh

Just flicking through that..heres my list

S.Anwar
M.Waugh
D.Haynes? too old
V.Richards? ''
A.De Silva
A.Flower
A.Stewart
D.Cullinan
J.Rhodes
I.Khan? too old
K.Dev? ''
W.Akram
I.Botham? too old
C.Ambrose
P.Strang
C.Walsh
R.Smith

why is Tuffnell in the Liam list..was he really good enoug to be ,mentioned in this list. Or am i too young to remember how good he is?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me (to pick 15 from):

Atherton
Anwar
M Waugh
J Adams
Botham
Walsh
Ambrose
Stewart
Russell
A Flower
Donald
Tuffnell
Gower
Derek Randall
Malcolm
Reiffel
de Silva
de Villiers
Kapil
Hadlee
Imran
Emburey
Symcox

Weak on the spin there - cannot think of any great recents!

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

G.Gooch
M.Waugh
D.Haynes
M.Atherton
A.Border
R.Richardson
V.Richards
A.DeSilva
M.Goodwin
D.Cullinun
J.Rhodes
R.Smith
M.Crowe

A.Stewart
A.Parore
A.Flower
Moin Khan

J.Srinath
P.Strang
G.Allott
N.Johnson
P.Tuffnell
I.Botham
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
C.Ambrose
C.Walsh

my 15 as follows

M.Waugh
D.Haynes
M.Atherton
A.Border
V.Richards
R.Smith
M.Crowe
A.Stewart
A.Flower
Moin Khan
i.Botham
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
C.Ambrose
C.Walsh

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
How retired do they have to be?
Capable of playing cricket in some capacity. For eg Desmond Haynes is quite capable still and 3 or 4 years ago, there seemed to be a serious call for him to come out of retirement (which would have been ludicrous).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Season 3 will kick off hopefully on the 4th of October. However, this very much depends on when the neverending CWXI tour finishes.....<hint><hint>

Status
Not open for further replies.