• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Best Crop

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Each season probably has plenty of players who have debuted and gone on to play an important part for CW, iirc season 8 had a lot of debuts.

Season 7 probably provided the best crop of spinners in single year with Bennett, Collins and myself debuting, and it wasn't a bad year for bowling all round with Hoy also debuting.

Which is the best year for batsmen or fast bowlers? Most recent years could probably make up a team from their rookies but i don't think 7 manages that, there was also the likes of Towns and Rai and of course the legend 'Don' Lezema, a couple of others but mainly defunct...the enigma Yasa Fayaz...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Each season probably has plenty of players who have debuted and gone on to play an important part for CW, iirc season 8 had a lot of debuts.

Season 7 probably provided the best crop of spinners in single year with Bennett, Collins and myself debuting.
Haha. It'll never stop being funny. :)

Majin

International Debutant
Did Rob Timewell debut in season 7 as well? Him and Hoy could probably take the fast bowlers crop by themselves tbh if that is the case. Also there was that guy who took 9 for bugger all against Green, Muhaffy maybe, can't remember. May have been season 8 though. Don't remember if he was any good other than that though, just remember that particular spell.

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Id almost say stats wise the best crop of batsman is the first CW players, included Cloete, Young, Twyman, Eclipse, Fitzsimmons version 1, Goff to name a few.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
A charity match at the end of the season with Seasons I-VII vs Seasons VIII-XIV might be an idea

Season I-VII might look like

FC

Mork
Young
Cloete
Butler
Kearsley
Chaulk+
Camps
Rose
Wright
Watt
Pickup*

not many options in the batting in general, bowling was a lot more competetive Bennett, Collins and Patrick all stiff

OD

Chaulk+
Young
Cloete
Butler
Camps*
Towns
Bennett
Rose
Kennett
Watt
Pickup

Good side should beat VIII-XIV

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Possible FC Season VIII-XIV

Mamesh
Smith
Dauth
Malone Jnr
Jasothoran
Fuller
Wilson
Cunningham
Weber
Thomas
Demeza

decent side that with 3 genuine all rounders

OD

Stedman
Smith
Dauth
Fuller
Malone Jnr
Scott
Read
Clapham
Sriram
Gundry
Gough

Tail a bit weak, bowling a little inexperienced

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Arnold over Malone for mine. Averaged >50 in two full seasons of FC cricket, and was a handy FM as well.
Didn't pick Arnold because I didn't think he was active anymore. Borcich would be available, but i though Thomas was just ahead of him and Weber is in for vareity, otherwise there's 6 seamers, he could replace Demeza though.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Didn't pick Arnold because I didn't think he was active anymore. Borcich would be available, but i though Thomas was just ahead of him and Weber is in for vareity, otherwise there's 6 seamers, he could replace Demeza though.
Arnold may not be active, but Jaso's been banned....

Fair enough though Borcich's recent record is much better than Geg's.

Majin

International Debutant
Goff would have to be in an OD side ahead of Towns, surely?

edit: oic, active posters only.

Last edited:

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Wow, never really thought about it this way before.

Some seriously talented teams being named pre and post season 8. Those teams in their peak would definetly push at international level.

Would be a bit pissed, on a personal level, to be taken out of or not considered for the FC season 8+ team, though. Being the current CW test strike bowler and all. I appreciate Borcich and Thomas being awesome, though.

:)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If it was based on domestic performances Thomas and Borcich would walk into the side ahead of you Trav in a heartbeat. If you take in account Test performances then well they would struggle to get into the side ahead of you.