• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWXI Development League

David

International 12th Man
Pffffft. Spin.

I've been a bad paceman all my life and I'll continue being a bad paceman.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I started left arm med pace...then for fun i tried to bowl a chinaman...that was cool...was crap at it, went pacing again, went back to spin, then back to pace. and then spin...and now im oke at it ?
note; I played cricket for 9 years now :')

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I play around with spin every now and again.
With a cricket ball i'm a far better paceman, with a tennis ball on the uneven ground that is my backyard it's spin all the way.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Matteh said:
I play around with spin every now and again.
With a cricket ball i'm a far better paceman, with a tennis ball on the uneven ground that is my backyard it's spin all the way.
same here though my backyards being converted to a pool

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZTailender said:
I used to bowl leg spin when I was about 10. Took a hat trick as well. But I changed to seam the next year ;)

(...because I was actually quite crap at spin bowling and that hat trick was a fluke. Simon can attest that my spin bowling is much worse than my seam bowling...)
tbh they are both pretty bad and id be shocked if u got me out with either sort of delivery :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Matteh said:
All my best wickets as a pacer have been with off breaks 8-)
Same here. Back in my prime - two seasons ago - I had many a batsman swinging over the top of it or leaving it alone and losing offstump. Very satisfying. I also got a couple of sharp caught-and-bowled chances, and those are always pleasant when they stick.

Never could get the legbreak right, but my offbreak variation was usually more than enough. Sadly, the batsmen picked up on it last season...

Matteh

I do an involuntary off break every now and again - as i bowl, my hand just kinda falls away to one side sometimes which puts spin on the ball without me meaning to - if i didn't know the ball wasn't going to be an off break, it's hard for the batsman to know about it. :happy:

Last edited:

33/3from3.3

im a spinner, but for my size my quick ball has some speed and a bit of spin
In one game i thought to myself
"maybe i'll start with a quicker ball" the batsman thought i was a seam bowler
next bowl i took the same run-up (not huge diff between my spin run-up and pace run-up)
and got my biggest spin i ever did and bowled him :laugh: :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
pinchy81 said:
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Dunn
Initials (eg Liam A. Camps = LA; Neil S. Pickup = NS): RD
Handedness: LHB
Keeper? Y/N: Yes
Bowling (OS/LS/LAS/Chinaman/F/FM/MF/M): OS/M
General Batting position (1-11): 7 or 8

Batting Avge: 5.17
Bowling Avge: 29.30
Bowling Econ. (optional): 2.34

Batting SR (FC cricket): 87.8
Fielding rating: 18
Welcome to the system, newly made medium pacer. ;)

You won't get a team yet because the domestic season is over - so you won't get one until next season, which starts in August. You might be called up by CW Black when they're playing England A, though, because they're short of players. Don't take that as official. And you can sign up for a club cricket team whenever that starts (in June/July, probably)

pinchy81

Samuel_Vimes said:
Welcome to the system, newly made medium pacer. ;)

You won't get a team yet because the domestic season is over - so you won't get one until next season, which starts in August. You might be called up by CW Black when they're playing England A, though, because they're short of players. Don't take that as official. And you can sign up for a club cricket team whenever that starts (in June/July, probably)
kool, thanks

Mr Mxyzptlk

Matteh said:
I do an involuntary off break every now and again - as i bowl, my hand just kinda falls away to one side sometimes which puts spin on the ball without me meaning to - if i didn't know the ball wasn't going to be an off break, it's hard for the batsman to know about it. :happy:
I would generally bowl one every 15-18 balls. I have variations of offbreaks though, as relating to how much spin I put on it. When I'm getting belted I generally bowl offbreaks exclusively (off a fast bowler's action ala Lance Klusener), as batsmen find it difficult to hit consistently in some conditions, especially when I bowl it outside offstump.

There are other times when I just bowl a classic offbreak (Chris Gayle sort of action) and I actually get a fair bit of turn and due to my height, bounce. I haven't played any cricket at all in about 8 months (:wacko: ) but when I was playing I would try to work especially on getting drift into left-handers. It was quite successful at the time. I'm sorely out of practice now though.

Matteh

My main problem with my bowling is that i have about three different ways of bowling the ball in a body position sense.

The main one is front on with a slightly bent arm - basically everyball becomes an outswinger - if i straighten the arm every ball just goes down leg for a wide.
Then when that doesn't work i try side on - but it always ends up being too full tbh.

add that to the fact that i'm never comfortable with my run up means sometimes i bowl utter tripe :wacko: