• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking ahead to Season XIV

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think I did a retrospective thread at the end of the last season, so this will serve that purpose, to an extent.
  1. What do you think was done well/poorly last season?
  2. What would you like to see done differently in the upcoming season?
  3. Recently there has been talk of reviving the Pace Academy and adding a Spin Academy. What is the general reaction to this possibility?
  4. What would you like to see involved in these academies?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm just amazed that you can find the time to do what you already do, to be honest. Incredible effort. Anything extra is just a cherry on top.

Agent TBY

International Captain
It'd be perfect if we just had Grade back.

Granted, I wasn't around when it was active, but it sounds a vital concept.

Matteh

What do you think was done well/poorly last season? Dev League and CWXI was run well, the little changes all helped improve things but Grade was sorely missed for mine.
What would you like to see done differently in the upcoming season? Grade mainly, everything else (y)
Recently there has been talk of reviving the Pace Academy and adding a Spin Academy. What is the general reaction to this possibility? Before my time i think, but anything that improves development of players is a winner.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Allows players who aren't playing for their Dev teams or a CWXI team to play some cricket and regain form or put their hands up for selection if a regular loses form.

David

International 12th Man
Would like to see Grade back, with someone competent in charge, not that David character.

Would like to see the pace academy back too, wouldn't mind being a part of that tbh.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I like the idea of the pace/spin academy's especially as bat has been dominating the ball of recent note. Obviously, echoing the Grade Cricket sentiments.

I'd like to see the Masters scrapped and another club brought in personally.

Johnners

Loving the idea of Pace/Spin academies, and would dearly love to see Grade Cricket back on its feet. Echo what Smith said re: Masters, whilst the the 6th team is good, the sooner we can have a 6th CW team, the better imo.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea of the pace/spin academy's especially as bat has been dominating the ball of recent note. Obviously, echoing the Grade Cricket sentiments.

I'd like to see the Masters scrapped and another club brought in personally.
Agree with all that

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Thought last season was one of the best ever. That said, would love to see Grade back, the Masters XI gone (even an ex-CW Player side would be preferable) and looking forward to the acadamies.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Having Grade should be the main focus outside the actual Dev League for next season.

Don't think we have quite enough for a 6th side tbh. If we did then it'd leave each squad with about 12-13 people (cbf looking up numbers). As much as everyone getting game time is ideal, it kind of leaves you at a disadvantage in terms of calling on reserve players to step up if someone is injured or badly out of form.

We wouldn't be able to have international games at the same time either, as Black would be left with about 5 players (would still beat most teams, though).

However, that could be solved by introducing international domestic players who would be rated, say, C and below, only to be used under the proviso of injury or someone being extremely out of form, rather than taking the place of someone in the side because they're better.

Or you could draft all the new rookies from post Season 13 into the Masters side, a mix of old and new to make up one team, and over time with new sign ups it would gradually fill up, or after a certain amount of seasons other players could start moving to that club.

But, for mine, I'm happy with it as is - except for grade. Maybe look into contracts a bit deeper in preparation for next season as well so we don't have to go through a kerfuffle each time.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
The pace academy was choice.

I'd put my hand up to help run that, if required.

As most people have said, getting grade back up to scratch should be a priority. I'd also put a hand up to help grade if required.

Otherwise, as Nath said, I think last year was the best dev season yet. Topping it will be hard, Liam :p

(Y)

Perm

I think I found most difficult about last season was the lack of Grade cricket. As has been said, it's a vital tool for keeping everybody interested if they aren't getting regular game time for their team.