• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking ahead to Season XIV

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eddie Sanders, Rich Hingston, Rich Twyman, Andre Maddocks, Corey Taylor etc. etc. All these guys have been gone for so long that their skills would have depreciated greatly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only problem with a seconds team is that everyone from the main squad will have to be in it, and afaik ITC only allows you a certain number per squad, after which you have to swap players in & out, which is easy to get around if the same team is picked week in week out. Which it isn't. I found that to be more of a hassle than I wanted.. I'm lazy, granted. I think two conferences would be more practical, with two separate simmers.
It's really not that hard to swap players around though. I understand your laziness but I only takes a second. :p

David

International 12th Man
It's really not that hard to swap players around though. I understand your laziness but I only takes a second. :p
A second too long I say :p

Agreeing with Camps on the sixth team. not enough active players for a sixth, and an ex test players team would be to be quite frank, a walk-over. Unfortunately at the moment there seems to be no ideal solution.

If I may also add, in my opinion turning grade into a second side comp takes all the flavour out of grade.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't like the idea of a 2nds comp tbh. As Mr Kennett suggests, would take the flavour out of grade, so to speak, imo.

Majin

International Debutant
Wouldn't mind a fielding academy if it's possible to run one, one area of my game I've always wished I could improve on. Other than that just echo the grade sentiments really

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
OK, on grade:

The reason grade didn't get simmed last year was mainly the creation of the database. Wanted it to get too perfect and never got started. Must admit I didn't realise it meant that much to that many people, anyway this will hopefully not happen again - there is an import function in ITC which I probably should make more use of.

Anyway, that problem should be resolved this time around (I have the season 12 database on record, will use that if desperate). In any case, I think it might be useful to have external stat tracking anyway - in my experience, the stats database in the game will get messed up at some point in the season. I have a quite decent spreadsheet for doing this (mind, it's big and clumsy, but does the job - Excel isn't really that great for programming-type tasks), and would be grateful if anyone takes on that job. The actual simming really isn't that onerous, probably should be able to handle that. Especially if it's possible to outsource it at short notice (which it will be if stat tracking is done outside of the game itself)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
OK, on grade:

The reason grade didn't get simmed last year was mainly the creation of the database. Wanted it to get too perfect and never got started. Must admit I didn't realise it meant that much to that many people, anyway this will hopefully not happen again - there is an import function in ITC which I probably should make more use of.

Anyway, that problem should be resolved this time around (I have the season 12 database on record, will use that if desperate). In any case, I think it might be useful to have external stat tracking anyway - in my experience, the stats database in the game will get messed up at some point in the season. I have a quite decent spreadsheet for doing this (mind, it's big and clumsy, but does the job - Excel isn't really that great for programming-type tasks), and would be grateful if anyone takes on that job. The actual simming really isn't that onerous, probably should be able to handle that. Especially if it's possible to outsource it at short notice (which it will be if stat tracking is done outside of the game itself)
I'll put my hand up re: stats tracking. As I said, I can whip up a program in VB which does it automatically when I save scorecard files to folder.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be excellent. :)
Do you still want a seperate lot of stats for a player's last six games to be kept for Dev League simming-average purposes?

The whole thing really shouldn't take me long at all to put together as I already have the framework in place from a similar program I created for CricSim. It'll require a bit of tweaking for OD cricket as the scorecard formats are different but other than that it's pretty much ready to go.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Do you still want a seperate lot of stats for a player's last six games to be kept for Dev League simming-average purposes?
Yes please. Would also like a possibility to supply different categories for stats boost (i.e. collecting all scores from 70 to 120, shouldn't be too different from the fifties code I guess)

HeathDavisSpeed

Seem to have been a lot of sign ups recently. I'm wondering if we might have enough for another CWLand team to replace the "Pasters". There seem to be a lot of unsigned players available and a few released sophomores. Plus the latest sign ups, there could easily be fifteen players for an extra team.

Thoughts?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For all the new sign ups, there's also a number of people have gone inactive or retired. Don't think there's enough to warrant a new team IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Seem to have been a lot of sign ups recently. I'm wondering if we might have enough for another CWLand team to replace the "Pasters". There seem to be a lot of unsigned players available and a few released sophomores. Plus the latest sign ups, there could easily be fifteen players for an extra team.

Thoughts?
Im with you. However, numbers will always be tight (a lot of new guys may go inactive etc) without bumping them up with the stability of overseas players for each squad. Obviously the ruling has been made on this a long time go, so a 6th team is unlikely.

Would be good though

HeathDavisSpeed

Certainly something to at least think of. An even number of teams is always best, but the Masters are more than a little bit Lame.

An extra team would mean extra participation as well, more activity means a more exciting tournament. Potentially.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
An extra team would mean extra participation as well, more activity means a more exciting tournament. Potentially.
Not always. Some of the more active people in the Dev League aren't first team regulars, while some of the Test and ODI first choices don't post that much. An extra team will see some raised activity in that new people will be around, but it won't be a large improvement.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah. I realise that. I'm ****, yet I still contribute. Somehow, I even got a 20:20 captaincy despite being the worst player in the team. Lovin' it.

Mister Wright

As has been said many times, getting grade up and running would benefit everyone a lot.

I think away to make Grade a little more interesting would be to have grade teams allocated to a club. Divide the grade teams evenly amongst the clubs, and each of those grade teams contains players not picked for the dev league squads (or something like that).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You don't have enough players to have a sixth team, unless you add in some overseas players to fill a squad. I don't really see the problem in having some overseas players in a squad, if they are nothing more then fillers.

Most sides are pretty established with regard to starting XI and really there isn't that many spots for rookie to even get a one off chance. If they are it likely to go to a fringe players first, who has probably had a couple season without getting many games.

People say they might get a chance when Internationals are away. But how often are they actually away. These days there is very few if any matches during the season. At most they might miss four games in one form.

It would also be nice from a National team POV if a few more OD bowlers got a chance in the sides. Basically most sides have established with bowlers that have fairly poor List A records, or have been tired and failed at International level. But they generally perform well enough to keep a spot and not try others. With more positions hopefully others will get a chance and we can find some more ODI potential bowlers.

I think sometimes people underestimated how much the lack of game time effects activity in general. Grade cricket will help, but having a 6th CW side will make a lot more difference. The percentage of new sign up players that have stayed as been extremely low recently.