• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rookie Signings

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can understand Dans point here. With the rookies having the ability to accept/decline positions the draft order is pretty much null and void. In a true 'draft', the colts would have first choice from the better players, however with the rookies having the ability to accept/decline it's basically wiping out any advantage they prevoiusly had.

EDIT: Agree with Dans "edit" point as well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This draft is becoming less draft-like the more I get into it. Seems more like a "contact rookie, confirm his interest, tell him to knock back every other offer and wait for your club" deal. Which is certainly not a draft at all. Must hold my hands up and say it's my own fault for not playing the same game, but it's just another thing to list under the already growing downsides of this system.
Right bare with me here as it appears things are happening behind the scenes which have prompted the above post. However, people like myself dont know how to take the above post as we dont know the full situation. Let me make a guess and tell me where the guess goes wrong.

Colts had the number 1 pick. With that pick they picked Shaggy Alfresco (sp?). However, that was not their first choice player and the Colts believe other clubs have been telling the Rookies not to sign for them (or other teams). Therefore instead of getting the player they wanted with the 1st pick of the draft and the player most useful to them (as they and others believe should be the case as they were deemed the weakest team last season) they had to get a player lower on their draft board and this has disrupted the nature and purpose of the draft?

Obviously I dont know the situation and am making assumptions based on the above post by Towns. Is that correct? if not what is the true situation?

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
We actually did that with CW Colts a few seasons back. :) Of course, we weren't dispanded amongst the other teams afterwards as that would be pretty detrimental to the strong team atmosphere developed within the Colts.

However, we have to keep in mind that we have to fill up the existing teams before a new team can be created. I think we need 17-18 players in each team, with 15 being the minimum when you consider that a bunch of players will often be called up for internationals.

Once we get above 90 active players, though, we'll be forced into getting a 6th team. Not sure how many we have right now - something like 80-odd?

EDIT: Sorry, that was in response to DCC. To Goughy...

In the first round, we had tried to contact a player for some time without response. We brought this up to the CWBCC who declared he would not be considered active for the first round due to his inactivity - of course, the moment we signed up our first player, he was suddenly browsing the thread. Not sure we'd want an inactive player with the advantage of the experience of the waiting, but at the time it was frustrating to see that happen. Then, further to our disadvantage, another high quality batsman joined right afterwards. We only needed one batsman and are more than happy with Kerr as he's quality and has shown strong activity, but the frustration at the system is obviously there.

Come round two, we are now looking for seamers which, to be fair, there are an abundance of. However our first choice was declined as he was looking to wait for another one or (suggested by his communication) two teams and I am guessing whoever of those two teams says his name first will get him. We're now looking at another player and awaiting their response, although I'm uncertain now as I've seen posts of his in another club's thread which suggest that he has already been collected by them unofficially for either the 2nd or 3rd round of pickings. I'm hoping that's not the case, though.

The biggest downer in all of this is for the rookies who will sign up with sides knowing that they were not first choice for that side. I don't know how thick-skinned these lads are, but there's a sense of pride when you're the #1 choice for a side and you aren't contacted after what might end up being 2-3 other players who all declined. Is that really fair on the captain or the player involved? It's a first season and they're only here for that season and after that can go wherever they like based on their experience.

There's also the impression I get that some captains may be making promises to rookies in order for them to decline other opportunities and this is something that I am against. I know some players here were also against that very thing happening with regards to long term contracts (as in, the suggestion - admittedly by myself - that players could be contracted to play at least X amount of games in the season), as they would disrupt the seriousness of every game played by playing people out of form etc.

The latter is just an impression I have got from one of the rookies I have been in contact with and I'm unable to give names of clubs (and even if I had them, I'm not willing to declare such things publically), but I do hope that this isn't actually going on and that the impression I got is 100% incorrect. I can understand the explanation of how likely it is that a player may get a shot, but not any such promises. Of course, this would never happen if the "rejection" option was removed from the draft.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With all due respect to the rookies, they don't have much of a say during the regular season, do they? Have they ever had a say in where they go?
That's because we never had this system in place.
I'm not asking for all the rookies, just asking for first pick out of all of those who are not already contracted when it comes to our turn in the draft. That's how every draft system in the world works, I believe? I'm not too familiar with such things.
But by making it a contractual process, we are ensuring that there is activity with the rookies heading into the season. Also, in professional sports in the US (at least) the player signs a contract and has some measure talks with the team that wishes to sign him. Pending an agreement, the team then drafts the player.
I have, however, had a bunch of ideas passed to me and made in this thread that I'll be looking into as a proposal for future drafts. Good to see a bunch of people offering ideas, shows this league has a lot of heads thinking of ways to further improve the entire simulation. I encourage everyone who has had an idea and not mentioned it to send it on to me and I'll discuss it with you.
I mentioned earlier that the process would be reviewed after the first round. But given that the first 4 players were drafted in 5 days, I'm not convinced that there needs be any change to the process at this stage. Perhaps in future.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Liam - I understand that this process will go ahead this time around and, as it has started, it should finish at some point. I'm merely stating that we should have a lot of discussion regarding this process for future reference so such problems do not carry forward.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To Goughy...

In the first round, we had tried to contact a player for some time without response. We brought this up to the CWBCC who declared he would not be considered active for the first round due to his inactivity - of course, the moment we signed up our first player, he was suddenly browsing the thread. Not sure we'd want an inactive player with the advantage of the experience of the waiting, but at the time it was frustrating to see that happen. Then, further to our disadvantage, another high quality batsman joined right afterwards. We only needed one batsman and are more than happy with Kerr as he's quality and has shown strong activity, but the frustration at the system is obviously there.

Come round two, we are now looking for seamers which, to be fair, there are an abundance of. However our first choice was declined as he was looking to wait for another one or (suggested by his communication) two teams and I am guessing whoever of those two teams says his name first will get him. We're now looking at another player and awaiting their response, although I'm uncertain now as I've seen posts of his in another club's thread which suggest that he has already been collected by them unofficially for either the 2nd or 3rd round of pickings. I'm hoping that's not the case, though.

The biggest downer in all of this is for the rookies who will sign up with sides knowing that they were not first choice for that side. I don't know how thick-skinned these lads are, but there's a sense of pride when you're the #1 choice for a side and you aren't contacted after what might end up being 2-3 other players who all declined. Is that really fair on the captain or the player involved? It's a first season and they're only here for that season and after that can go wherever they like based on their experience.

There's also the impression I get that some captains may be making promises to rookies in order for them to decline other opportunities and this is something that I am against. I know some players here were also against that very thing happening with regards to long term contracts (as in, the suggestion - admittedly by myself - that players could be contracted to play at least X amount of games in the season), as they would disrupt the seriousness of every game played by playing people out of form etc.

The latter is just an impression I have got from one of the rookies I have been in contact with and I'm unable to give names of clubs (and even if I had them, I'm not willing to declare such things publically), but I do hope that this isn't actually going on and that the impression I got is 100% incorrect. I can understand the explanation of how likely it is that a player may get a shot, but not any such promises. Of course, this would never happen if the "rejection" option was removed from the draft.
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to explain. The concern over teams making promises to Rookies (if true) would be a worry for me too, certainly if I was in your position.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I say we just ship all the rookies to the Colts. God forbid we give new players a say in where they want to play.
Haha, perhaps the 3 best batsmen in your lineup as well?

Also, I'm going to say this, because I'm sure I'm not the only person who'll think Towns is directing this at me.

A) I've made no promises to any rookies.
B) I will make no promises to any rookies.
C) I've "stolen" no rookies. In fact, I had one stolen from us with some subtle suggestions of our "stardom".
D) I haven't even contacted a player since Meeks signed on. Waiting to see how it pans out.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I can't steal a player if he's not contracted. :p I don't believe I ever accused you - or anyone - of stealing, and as for other things mentioned, it was just an impression and I'm relieved it was incorrect from your end at the least. I can only hope the same goes for other captains.

I assure you, I'm directing all of this at every captain and player involved and, more to the point, the CWBCC as they're the only people who can look to make changes for the next season.

ash chaulk

International Captain
i havent seen anything about this in the thread but...

why did you make it so a rookie had to agree to terms? in some sports you declare for the draft you go where you are drafted too and tough luck cos if you wanna play thats what you gotta do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Breaking News

Right, the first round went relatively smoothly, and teams got to pick in order of worst finish to best from the last season. Thus the lesser teams of last season got higher picks. Now that we've established that with one round, it's open game.

Clubs may announce their signing at any time now. No draft order will be followed from here out. However, the rookie must still confirm the contract with 36 hours of it being announced.

Clubs may only sign a number of rookies that they meet a 17-man squad requirement. This is to ensure that the likes of Green get a good pick of rookies to make their 17-man requirement. After all teams have 17 players, other rookies may be signed. This means that Cricket Web Black cannot sign anymore rookies until the other clubs have met the 17.

Requirements (to meet 17):

CW Black - 0
CW Blue - 2
CW Colts - 2
CW Green - 5
CW Red - 1