• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Contract System?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given the problems at CW Black this offseasons, with the player exodus and whatnot, I think there should be a contract system in place for Dev League clubs. I don't want to involve currency in it, but I do think there's a need to have clubs able to sign players for longer than a season at a time.

Was talking to Sean (Fuller) on MSN and he suggested the system used in Australia, whereby players are ranked and signed by clubs on the basis of key players, backup players, youth players etc. This would essentially provide incentive for players to sign with a particular club for a certain length of time.

Not too clear on the system though, but if anyone else can explain it better, please do. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd definately like one, but it obviously can't start until between Season XII and Season XIII as it would be really unfair to us, and other clubs who've lost players.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just to clarify, the system I was referring to is used for the international side, not (as far as I know) at club level. There's a similar sort of contractual system in a lot of sports though, where teams will publically categorise or rank their players without disclosing the rate of pay, which would be a reasonable compromise for the dev league between having contracts and actually instituting currency.

I think a contract system is a good idea to give some kind of stability to team lineups, and stopping the sort of thing we are seeing at Black atm, with the side reduced to tatters in the offseason by players leaving without any sort of benefit.

Players could be contracted for as long as they wish within reason(say up to 3-5 seasons), and with the ranking system there would be a kind of status at a club which would be an incentive for players to move or stay. If a player was out of contract they could leave whenever they wanted, otherwise the club would have to give permission.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I'd definately like one, but it obviously can't start until between Season XII and Season XIII as it would be really unfair to us, and other clubs who've lost players.
If implemented, I think it should start at the beginning of Season 12. Clubs could trade and players could move however they wished in the next month or two before the season starts, and when it does the clubs would announce their contracts and it'd be enforced from there. Plenty of time for any necessary trades to be made beforehand.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Key players
first team
backup
youth

should be the way to go, and set a max of 3 season on contract.

Dravid

International Captain
Contract system is a great idea. Teams should be able to offer players different contracts, like Key players who play majority of the games, then the first team and back up contract players rotating in the squad. The youth, unless the team really needs them, should play in GC through out the season but still get a couple of call ups to the first XI through out the season.

On another note we can do something like what the NBA does. Players are contracted to the club for a certain amount of time. If the team wishes they can waive the player, but they won't have space under their cap room until his contract expires. So if a team decides to get rid of a player here, then they shouldn't be allowed to draft, or sign any other player until his contract expires.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think contracts should be set out whereby you have people's position in the team based on the contract they hold to be honest - think some form of length of contract agreed by players / management is a better option.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't like to see contracts. I think that if a player isn't happy at a club, he should be able to move, and if a player doesn't want to move, he should be able to stay.

Blaze

Banned
Jamee999 said:
I wouldn't like to see contracts. I think that if a player isn't happy at a club, he should be able to move, and if a player doesn't want to move, he should be able to stay.
So I could play for all 5 teams over 5 different games?

stupid.

Blaze

Banned
Personally I like the idea that Goughy put forward about the MLS with players who want to leave a club being put into a draft at the end of the season...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think each team should get a certain amount of currency (i.e $10million), and they can spend that on whoever they want and allocate it in whichever way they wish for that season.

It would be awesome to have players jumping ship because contract negotiations went awry.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Contracts are a good idea, but the negotiations would be interesting. For example I could reject Red's offer and go for Black's because they offered me the chance to bat at #4. Just an example but things like that would be cool.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Personally I like the idea that Goughy put forward about the MLS with players who want to leave a club being put into a draft at the end of the season...
So do I :laugh:

TBH, it was hidden away in the Black thread so Im not sure how many have read it.

To those that havent, the general idea is that at the end of a season a player can leave a club but they then go into a draft. This means they can leave but cant choose where they go. The idea is that players can get away from a club they really dont want to be at but should discourage people leaving for minor reasons.

Mister Wright

I don't see why contracts are needed tbh. If players are unhappy with their clubs they should be allowed to move. If a player wants a release from a club I think the system is fair enough as it is. If they want to move freely they have to wait until the end of the season, but if they feel the move is urgent they need to negotiate a move with their club and another. I think that is the fairest system both to the players and the team.

Players may find they are not getting what they want from their team and if they feel they want to move, we shouldn't restrict their ability to do that. If a player is unhappy at the team they are at they should be allowed to move freely. For all the signing we (The Colts) have gained in the offseason we also have lost players who we considered crucial for our team in the coming season.

I don't see how contracts are going to solve this problem. If we have players signed to a 2 or 3 year deal, but for some reason or another they do not wish to remain at that club they either have to sit out their contract or go through a lengthy and sometimes ugly negotiating phase. Which could mean we lose players to the system all together, which is not what we should be striving for. It should be left, that if they want to leave they should be able to do so at the end of the season.

If teams cannot hold onto players, it should be the team that should be looked at not the system.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I like Goughy's idea better, to be honest. Also, I think Black are going along the right route by approaching new players to get to them. At least for this season, that's a feasible solution (though if Black gets too many internationals, the CWBCC might put the foot down.)

Mister Wright

Samuel_Vimes said:
I like Goughy's idea better, to be honest. Also, I think Black are going along the right route by approaching new players to get to them. At least for this season, that's a feasible solution (though if Black gets too many internationals, the CWBCC might put the foot down.)
But Goughy's system is a disadvantage for those teams that recruit well and have a good vibe that players want to go to. I still don't see why a player should not be able to choose which club they want to go to. What if a player got drafted to a team they didn't want to go through, they'd then have to go through with a trade, which just causes more problems with having to negotiate a trade, or going back into the draft or whatever.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I prefer Goughy/MLS system. I think players can state they have a preference to go to a club and im sure most captains would just skip that player and go for someone else. I doubt anyone would want a player who rather be somewhere else.

pasag

RTDAS
Yep some good ideas here. If there was a drafting system, the teams that come last would get first go yeah?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid said:
On another note we can do something like what the NBA does. Players are contracted to the club for a certain amount of time. If the team wishes they can waive the player, but they won't have space under their cap room until his contract expires. So if a team decides to get rid of a player here, then they shouldn't be allowed to draft, or sign any other player until his contract expires.
Impossible, if that were the case then Black would have struggled to field a team.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
But Goughy's system is a disadvantage for those teams that recruit well and have a good vibe that players want to go to. I still don't see why a player should not be able to choose which club they want to go to. What if a player got drafted to a team they didn't want to go through, they'd then have to go through with a trade, which just causes more problems with having to negotiate a trade, or going back into the draft or whatever.
Perhaps in the interests of fair competition? And what are you talking about 'teams that recruit well'? Hahaha, yeah, nice way to put it, but in the Dev League, it's more like having someone who is friends with a potential recruit. ;)

With regards to the Key Player - Rotation - Youth contract thing, what's the actual distinguishing feature between each contract? Is there actually any difference? No point having them if there isn't.