Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract System?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Contract System?

Given the problems at CW Black this offseasons, with the player exodus and whatnot, I think there should be a contract system in place for Dev League clubs. I don't want to involve currency in it, but I do think there's a need to have clubs able to sign players for longer than a season at a time.

Was talking to Sean (Fuller) on MSN and he suggested the system used in Australia, whereby players are ranked and signed by clubs on the basis of key players, backup players, youth players etc. This would essentially provide incentive for players to sign with a particular club for a certain length of time.

Not too clear on the system though, but if anyone else can explain it better, please do. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I'd definately like one, but it obviously can't start until between Season XII and Season XIII as it would be really unfair to us, and other clubs who've lost players.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Just to clarify, the system I was referring to is used for the international side, not (as far as I know) at club level. There's a similar sort of contractual system in a lot of sports though, where teams will publically categorise or rank their players without disclosing the rate of pay, which would be a reasonable compromise for the dev league between having contracts and actually instituting currency.

I think a contract system is a good idea to give some kind of stability to team lineups, and stopping the sort of thing we are seeing at Black atm, with the side reduced to tatters in the offseason by players leaving without any sort of benefit.

Players could be contracted for as long as they wish within reason(say up to 3-5 seasons), and with the ranking system there would be a kind of status at a club which would be an incentive for players to move or stay. If a player was out of contract they could leave whenever they wanted, otherwise the club would have to give permission.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    I'd definately like one, but it obviously can't start until between Season XII and Season XIII as it would be really unfair to us, and other clubs who've lost players.
    If implemented, I think it should start at the beginning of Season 12. Clubs could trade and players could move however they wished in the next month or two before the season starts, and when it does the clubs would announce their contracts and it'd be enforced from there. Plenty of time for any necessary trades to be made beforehand.

Key players
    first team
    backup
    youth

should be the way to go, and set a max of 3 season on contract.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Contract system is a great idea. Teams should be able to offer players different contracts, like Key players who play majority of the games, then the first team and back up contract players rotating in the squad. The youth, unless the team really needs them, should play in GC through out the season but still get a couple of call ups to the first XI through out the season.

On another note we can do something like what the NBA does. Players are contracted to the club for a certain amount of time. If the team wishes they can waive the player, but they won't have space under their cap room until his contract expires. So if a team decides to get rid of a player here, then they shouldn't be allowed to draft, or sign any other player until his contract expires.
    Last edited by Dravid; 30-11-2006 at 09:56 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I don't think contracts should be set out whereby you have people's position in the team based on the contract they hold to be honest - think some form of length of contract agreed by players / management is a better option.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I wouldn't like to see contracts. I think that if a player isn't happy at a club, he should be able to move, and if a player doesn't want to move, he should be able to stay.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999
    I wouldn't like to see contracts. I think that if a player isn't happy at a club, he should be able to move, and if a player doesn't want to move, he should be able to stay.
    So I could play for all 5 teams over 5 different games?

stupid.

Personally I like the idea that Goughy put forward about the MLS with players who want to leave a club being put into a draft at the end of the season...

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think each team should get a certain amount of currency (i.e $10million), and they can spend that on whoever they want and allocate it in whichever way they wish for that season.

It would be awesome to have players jumping ship because contract negotiations went awry.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Contracts are a good idea, but the negotiations would be interesting. For example I could reject Red's offer and go for Black's because they offered me the chance to bat at #4. Just an example but things like that would be cool.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Personally I like the idea that Goughy put forward about the MLS with players who want to leave a club being put into a draft at the end of the season...
    So do I

TBH, it was hidden away in the Black thread so Im not sure how many have read it.

To those that havent, the general idea is that at the end of a season a player can leave a club but they then go into a draft. This means they can leave but cant choose where they go. The idea is that players can get away from a club they really dont want to be at but should discourage people leaving for minor reasons.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I don't see why contracts are needed tbh. If players are unhappy with their clubs they should be allowed to move. If a player wants a release from a club I think the system is fair enough as it is. If they want to move freely they have to wait until the end of the season, but if they feel the move is urgent they need to negotiate a move with their club and another. I think that is the fairest system both to the players and the team.

Players may find they are not getting what they want from their team and if they feel they want to move, we shouldn't restrict their ability to do that. If a player is unhappy at the team they are at they should be allowed to move freely. For all the signing we (The Colts) have gained in the offseason we also have lost players who we considered crucial for our team in the coming season.

I don't see how contracts are going to solve this problem. If we have players signed to a 2 or 3 year deal, but for some reason or another they do not wish to remain at that club they either have to sit out their contract or go through a lengthy and sometimes ugly negotiating phase. Which could mean we lose players to the system all together, which is not what we should be striving for. It should be left, that if they want to leave they should be able to do so at the end of the season.

If teams cannot hold onto players, it should be the team that should be looked at not the system.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I like Goughy's idea better, to be honest. Also, I think Black are going along the right route by approaching new players to get to them. At least for this season, that's a feasible solution (though if Black gets too many internationals, the CWBCC might put the foot down.)
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information