• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolish the Colts.

cbuts

International Debutant
Hoggy31 said:
There's also a growing irritation amongst players at the number of byes.

Discuss.
Why not bring in an invitational side or a natonial a side, as we had in past seasons?

cbuts

International Debutant
David said:
:thumbdown to restructuring grade.

Grade is there to give people games, if we get dev league squads greater than 18, I'll have to add in two new teams to cope (grade can handle 9 dev league players a side). If you have feeder clubs, then if we get more than 90 players total, I'll need either 15, or 20 grade sides. neither of which is practical. 15 because that'll create byes, hey, guess what everyone is having a whinge about now. 20 Sides is impractical because, well, that's twenty sides! Running 10 sides and simming 5 games a day nearly _every_ day is taxing as it is. Suggest away for restructuring, but think about the effort involved/repercussions.

Some potential options (if feeder clubs)
  • Not allowing contracted/international players to play grade (this goes against the spirit of grade, colts have only 1 international, others have more, so doesn't help if we get to dev league squad size 20)
  • twenty teams, 2 different comps, 2 feeder clubs in each, 2 grade simmers (weird setup, simming is a dirty job)
  • a sixth dev league team, 12 feeder grade sides(already complaints about lack of depth)

I did have some other plans for grade in the future, as in it being where everyone starts their career, and after a season or two they go into a draft. This wouldn't work with feeder clubs. It would however give grade a bit more purpose. With feeder clubs they'd just play grade and go straight into their dev league side.. how boring.
5 teams - surely 2 feeder clubs would = 10 grade teams, which is what we have now????????

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
cbuts said:
Why not bring in an invitational side or a natonial a side, as we had in past seasons?

We could bring in Bangladesh, Kenya or even an English county side since they would be in their off-season when the Dev League is on...yes?

David

International 12th Man
yes, but if we get too many in dev league squads, grade can't cope without expanding into more teams.

As for an international side, I don't like it, I'm happy with the current set up. Don't mind the byes tbh.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
David said:
yes, but if we get too many in dev league squads, grade can't cope without expanding into more teams.

As for an international side, I don't like it, I'm happy with the current set up. Don't mind the byes tbh.
Yeah, byes are neccessary especially for the committees to assess their teams and discuss options.