• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolish the Colts.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I was always wondering why the grade clubs weren't feeder clubs.
I always wondered why Wright has his season XI grade stats in his signature, instead of the 500+ FC wickets he has taken. Seems inconsequential. :happy:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I was always wondering why the grade clubs weren't feeder clubs.
Mainly cos it was thought that playing with someone else could help make people realise the five Dev League teams weren't entrenched for ever, and there's no reason to hate the other 64 players in the league because they happen to have been allotted to a different team.

It appears to have failed.

David

International 12th Man
:thumbdown to restructuring grade.

Grade is there to give people games, if we get dev league squads greater than 18, I'll have to add in two new teams to cope (grade can handle 9 dev league players a side). If you have feeder clubs, then if we get more than 90 players total, I'll need either 15, or 20 grade sides. neither of which is practical. 15 because that'll create byes, hey, guess what everyone is having a whinge about now. 20 Sides is impractical because, well, that's twenty sides! Running 10 sides and simming 5 games a day nearly _every_ day is taxing as it is. Suggest away for restructuring, but think about the effort involved/repercussions.

Some potential options (if feeder clubs)
  • Not allowing contracted/international players to play grade (this goes against the spirit of grade, colts have only 1 international, others have more, so doesn't help if we get to dev league squad size 20)
  • twenty teams, 2 different comps, 2 feeder clubs in each, 2 grade simmers (weird setup, simming is a dirty job)
  • a sixth dev league team, 12 feeder grade sides(already complaints about lack of depth)

I did have some other plans for grade in the future, as in it being where everyone starts their career, and after a season or two they go into a draft. This wouldn't work with feeder clubs. It would however give grade a bit more purpose. With feeder clubs they'd just play grade and go straight into their dev league side.. how boring.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Travis_Teh said:
I always wondered why Wright has his season XI grade stats in his signature, instead of the 500+ FC wickets he has taken. Seems inconsequential. :happy:
Yeah, good question. I'm not quite sure myself. I'll probably have a good look around to find my career stats.

Loony BoB

International Captain
If Dev League squads are greater than 18, we should either do an activity check or get a sixth League squad.

(18*5)/6 = 15 per squad, which is what some squads start the season with anyway.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Loony BoB said:
If Dev League squads are greater than 18, we should either do an activity check or get a sixth League squad.

(18*5)/6 = 15 per squad, which is what some squads start the season with anyway.
15 is too short, .... it's a hideous infinite loop... :p

ash chaulk

International Captain
KennyD said:
How does it sound like 2 different comps? Its pretty simple. Each CW colour has 2 clubs that can have players from them. So for example, all CW Red players would have to come from either say, Greater Robbham, and say Stedingham.
makes sense now with 2 clubs.... i was thinking if say black had the bye and then sent all the players down to Grooters then we would dominate grade because most of the other development league teams would be playing development league

Loony BoB

International Captain
All teams get an equal amount of byes, I believe. Also, it could be set up so that a club's two feeder teams - eg. Red Feeder 1 & 2 - face each other on that day.

ash chaulk

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
All teams get an equal amount of byes, I believe. Also, it could be set up so that a club's two feeder teams - eg. Red Feeder 1 & 2 - face each other on that day.
yeah but we would play development stars vs grade players games will be like dev 0-500dec... grade team 21ao whats the point

it would have to be that red feeder one vs two

but look at how much work we are creating.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:

I can only see 15 man squads working if Internationals are spread over them evenly.

The only way to do that would be to remove the centrally contracted players from drafting and assign them to clubs evenly each season.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ash chaulk said:
yeah but we would play development stars vs grade players games will be like dev 0-500dec... grade team 21ao whats the point

it would have to be that red feeder one vs two

but look at how much work we are creating.
But every grade team does not have to play each other in every round. We know the schedule before hand and if we know when teams are going to have byes we can have the two feeder teams face each other in that round. That way the dev league teams are playing dev league and the non play dev league teams are playing grade and it gives each dev league committee a chance to monitor form of their players that aren't currently playing dev league against their own dev league players.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
If we were going to be realistic about this, then regular CW players wouldn't actually partake in grade, even during a bye. They would be resting. It would be fringe players who would play.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I can only see 15 man squads working if Internationals are spread over them evenly.

The only way to do that would be to remove the centrally contracted players from drafting and assign them to clubs evenly each season.

Correct. I dont think they are that keen on moving for the most part either.