• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abolish the Colts.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
From a Green perspective even with Dubb-Lynch loaned out i still have a couple of players that i would like to have playing every game that aren't playing. I think 5 is the right number of teams to have at the moment, there is plenty of quality in the sides and when the internationals go away its a test for the stronger sides.

If Blue are struggling because they have too many bowlers / internationals perhaps they should consider trading one of their internationals for a batsman from another team?

The Colts should certainly not be dispanded. A name change maybe but for mine the Colts are one of the most active teams are vital for the continuing success of the Dev league.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
From a Green perspective even with Dubb-Lynch loaned out i still have a couple of players that i would like to have playing every game that aren't playing.
Hopefully Im one of them or I need to find a team to loan me soon :p

Anyway, back on topic. Keep 'em, they are not hurting anyone

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Robertinho said:
I wasn't being serious, but the best idea in my opinion is for each club to have 1 (or 2) "feeder" grade clubs. That said, with players scattered all over the place (ie; some Grade teams have players from different Dev League clubs), how would we decide which Dev League team gets which Grade teams?

Grade players is the answer, in any case.

Out of this whole thread, I think this is the one idea that makes the most sense. There are ten Grade Cricket sides so why not have two of them assigned to each of the Development League teams and use them as "feeder" clubs as Robertinho put it. I think this is the answer.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
But when two Dev League teams trade, would that mean they move Grade clubs too?

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
But when two Dev League teams trade, would that mean they move Grade clubs too?
That's the issue that I raised in my post, because with the players all scattered around at the moment, so many people would have to move clubs for it to be that sort of "feeder" club system. One possible way to avoid this is having it only apply to the Grade players, and Dev League players are allowed to be at any team.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Agree with Rob.

I mean, how weird is it to be playing at the De Grooters with Chaulk, while he is at Black, and I am at Red.

Like, you wouldn't expect to see Matthew Hayden go back and play grade for his club Brisbane Valleys, and play alongside a Victorian, such as Jack McNamara. These 2 would be enemies at state level, so it would be weird if they played for the same "feeder" club. Hayden plays in QLD Valleys, McNamara plays in Victoria Camberwell Magpies or whatever his club is called.

KennyD

ash chaulk said:
i dont get it, it just sounds like 2 different comps?
How does it sound like 2 different comps? Its pretty simple. Each CW colour has 2 clubs that can have players from them. So for example, all CW Red players would have to come from either say, Greater Robbham, and say Stedingham.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Since we have a map, we could divide it up to districts (say, one state/province would be "Blue" or whatever) and then any club team/city that falls within that state would feed that state/province's team.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is absolute crap! There is no way the Colts should be abolished, fair enough we don't win a lot of games, but how many clubs start off as winners from day one? Queensland took some 90 odd years to win the Pura Cup and Tasmania are yet to win it.

Some people need to show us a little more respect. And if it weren't for the Colts there would be a lot of players not playing in the development league.

I hope one thing does come out of this thread and that is the restructuring of grade cricket.

KennyD

NZTailender said:
Since we have a map, we could divide it up to districts (say, one state/province would be "Blue" or whatever) and then any club team/city that falls within that state would feed that state/province's team.
Yeah. I'd totally go for that.

Loony BoB

International Captain
NZTailender said:
Yup. Although please, don't name a province "Blue". What kind of pre-school country names all it's provinces/states/counties after colours?

I think this would be a great time to start naming our main sides after regions, though. eg. Pickford Blacks, Garven Island Greens, etc. Okay, maybe not those exact names, but I'm sure we can come up with regional names that be placed before Colts, Greens, whatever.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Loony BoB said:
Yup. Although please, don't name a province "Blue". What kind of pre-school country names all it's provinces/states/counties after colours?

I think this would be a great time to start naming our main sides after regions, though. eg. Pickford Blacks, Garven Island Greens, etc. Okay, maybe not those exact names, but I'm sure we can come up with regional names that be placed before Colts, Greens, whatever.
Regional teams with colours as nicknames makes so much sense, now.

I do enjoy that. :)