• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ground Profiles

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I need a paragraph or two profiling each cricket ground in CWLand. It's for the website and it offers the writer the option of creativity in inventing the dimensions (within reason), image and capacity of the grounds.

Do I have any volunteers?

Dravid

International Captain
I'll give it a go. I also had the idea of making an image of the ground from Photoshop or something

I have a few questions though.

1) Please name all the grounds in Cricket Web Land
2) Is there a known capacity of the grounds or do we make them up.
3) Please name the ends.
4) Is there a known location for them in Cricket Web or do we make that up too.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Clowich

The Clowich Oval is a small ground with a long history behind it. It's picturesque location overlooks the bay and on the horizon is the mainland of CWLand. Clowich itself is a smallish town that's one of the most rapidly growing areas in the country. As people move away from the suburban lifestyles of Nixonstown, Gofftown and some of the other urban centres for the sea-change lifestyle of the tourst-driven Garven Island. As the town expands the stadium might also have to be expanded from it's current capacity of 5000. Around 1000 of that 5000 is made up of seats in the famous "Maddocks Stand". Named after the long retired Andre Maddocks who scored many a run for Garven Island, particularly at Clowich. The stand has alot of history and was built roughly in 1904. While a few refurbishments have kept it standing over the years, it still maintains it's traditional character and blends in perfectly with the white picket fence. The stand doesn't match the age of the scoreboard which is beleived to have been erected in around 1892. The rest of the ground is made up of a grassed areas with a few trees dotted around for shade. Grade matches regularly see crowds in excess of 2000 people and the capacity of 5000 has been reached on a few occasions when the likes of Fitzsimmons, Garven, Rose and Cloete play for the Sharks. The pitch itself is generally a fairly dry and bouncy wicket that rewards batsmen who play themselves in, it also has the potential to be a bit daunting early on in the day when there is often a bit of assistance for the bowlers. The wind can also sometimes play a factor as the afternoon "Campsfield doctor" howls in from the coast. Rumour is that as a few of the Dev League teams look to rural areas to expand their fan base, Clowich might just be on the list of places for one of them. If this was to happen it would certainly be a well attended first class game, particularly on the Sunday as the locals brought their picnic lunches and enjoyed the sun from the grassed area as the action unfolds. The three-day grade games are always well recieved by the Clowich residents and are always eagerly awaited games for many of the Sharks players. While the Clowich Oval doesn't host international games, and isn't likely to soon, it's one of the best grade grounds in country and certainly a must see destination for any cricket purist while on holiday on the beautiful island.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dravid said:
I'll give it a go. I also had the idea of making an image of the ground from Photoshop or something

I have a few questions though.

1) Please name all the grounds in Cricket Web Land
2) Is there a known capacity of the grounds or do we make them up.
3) Please name the ends.
4) Is there a known location for them in Cricket Web or do we make that up too.
The main stadia are the CW Oval, PDV Dome, CWBCC Stadium, Pickford Reserve, and Goffmouth Park. I'll be doing the PDV Dome, but anyone can feel free to do one of the others, as well as any minor ground in CWLand.

You can be creative with end names and the like. The capacity should go along the lines of:

CWBCC Stadium - largest in CWLand
CW Oval - second largest
PDV Dome - third
Pickford Reserve - fourth
Goffmouth Park - fifth

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
for t he uneducated

Stadia: CW Oval is in Nixonstown, the Dome is in the outskirts of Edfield and the CWBCC stadium overlooks Garven Island on the coast outside Campstown. There are two new stadia under construction in Pickford and Goffmouth.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
for t he uneducated
I've altered history for the intents of the history of Campsfield. The new PDV Dome is in Campsfield. The other dome was a poser.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've altered history for the intents of the history of Campsfield. The new PDV Dome is in Campsfield. The other dome was a poser.

so campsfield has 2 stadia?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CW Oval
End Names: Sandgropers End, Nixon Stand End

The Cricket Web Oval is situated at the centre of Nixonstown. The ground is most known for its cheer culture, as there's little special about the pitch - although it has been blamed as both batting-friendly and bowler-friendly at times. The crowd culture comes from the enthusiastic CW Red fans, whose cheerleaders are ever present both at domestic and international games, but often cause the Reds to lose focus on the cricket. The CW Oval hosted the first international match on Cricket Web soil, during Season 7, when CW XI beat Sri Lanka in the opening one-day international, and has hosted a total of eight one-day internationals and four Tests.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
CW Oval
End Names: Sandgropers End, Nixon Stand End

The Cricket Web Oval is situated at the centre of Nixonstown. The ground is most known for its cheer culture, as there's little special about the pitch - although it has been blamed as both batting-friendly and bowler-friendly at times. The crowd culture comes from the enthusiastic CW Red fans, whose cheerleaders are ever present both at domestic and international games, but often cause the Reds to lose focus on the cricket. The CW Oval hosted the first international match on Cricket Web soil, during Season 7, when CW XI beat Sri Lanka in the opening one-day international, and has hosted a total of eight one-day internationals and four Tests.
Adding this now.

Still need the CWBCC Stadium, Pickford Reserve, Fardin Qayyumi Cricket Centre (formerly Goffmouth Park).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd help out, but I have next to no knowledge of the grounds.

If someone can collate some information, I'll put it into a paragraph or two :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
I'd help out, but I have next to no knowledge of the grounds.

If someone can collate some information, I'll put it into a paragraph or two :D
CWBCC: Flat, placid wicket suited somewhat to spin. Hosted the final of the Chairman's Trophy Season 7, the first international tournament on CWLand server space...um, soil. Home of the Greens and thus the Llamas.

Pickford: Spin-friendly wicket hosting the Black array of spinners. Promoted to first class status in Season 10. Have also staged U-19 internationals. Yet to host a game with CW XI.

Fardin Qayyumi Cricket Centre: Formerly Goffmouth Park, home of the Colts since Season 10. A wicket with something in it for all bowlers. Smallest ground in CWLand, yet to host a full CW XI international.

Can't do much more without actually writing the things. :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Goffmouth plays host to the Fardin Qayyumi Cricket Centre. Named after one of CWLand's finest luminaries, the FQCC has large indoor facilities with state of the art technology. This also means that crowd capacity is somewhat compromised, which has resulted in it hosting no full international games (with the CW XI involved??). However, it has become a hub for cricket development camps, and the hiring of the facilities provides the CWBCC with much needed revenue.

The home ground of the CW Colts, the most recently introduced side to the domestic league, it provides all bowlers something if they work hard enough, and tends to be the sort of wicket that batsmen are never completely "in", no matter how long they've been in the middle.
Took a bit of artistic license there, but if it's to be named a "Cricket Centre" then surely it implies that it's not just a normal ground. Maybe that's where an academy of some sort should be based... ;)

David

International 12th Man
CWBCC Stadium
End Names: Memorial End, Loveland Heath End

The CWBCC Stadium, sometimes known as the Quebec, is the largest ground in CW Land, boasting a capacity of 55,000. It is the home ground of the Greens, and has nothing to do with Canada. The CWBCC Stadium held the Chairman's trophy final back in 2009, which was the first international tournament held on CW soil. Much to the dismay of the CWBCC groundskeeper, the stadium is also host to the annual CW Green 'Running of the Llamas", an important bonding session for the Greens.

Located on the outskirts of Edfield, overlooking the Indian Ocean, the CWBCC is one of the most picturesque grounds in the world, providing the weather is good. The pitch is well suited to batsman, and can provide large totals should the batsmen get settled. However there is always a bit for the spinners too, which keeps the Batsmen on their toes. The CWBCC stadium, unsurprisingly, is host to the CWBCC which ensures its position as the preeminent ground in CW Land, and Liam Camps Snr can often be seen traipsing around the ground complaining about lack of time, although he's always willing to spare a few words to those brave enough to approach him.

-------------------------

Some editing there :)

Last edited: