• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 9 Reflection and Assessment

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Please give feedback here as to how you think the season has gone. This is not a thread to post what new things you think can be brought in for next season, but please comment on the things that have been done this season and how well or poorly you think they were done.

Basically this is a review of the season in terms of how well it was managed and run. I am open to criticism and would just like to hear the general thoughts of everyone so that the Dev League can continue to improve.

Once again, this is a thread to comment on existing practices, not things you would like to see in the future.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I think this has been a great season, it's been really well managed and I'm appreciative of your work ;) Not to mention it's going to a thrilling last quarter

The whole introduction of the Colts - it hasn't been without some hiccups, but it was very smoothly done and they've now become just another team. Good work, keep it up

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the one improvement based on current sign ups that I'd like to see will be coming in to be honest.

One thing I think that is missed by a lot of people is the reason for Dev Cricket though...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No complaints. Very smoothly run season all round, the extra team worked well and I can't say I missed the Smash stuff at all.

Simon

having a bye kinda sucks, maybe im just saying this cause we have one today :p
other than that i think its been pretty good...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i miss the hit and giggle game too

Colts have been great - alot of them have been active too which is excellent

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From a Colt's point of view, it's been a fantastic time. Really enjoyed it, and appreciate the hard work put into it. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm pretty sure that from a selector's point of view, the byes are good as it gives you a chance to take stock, reassess, etc. for future selection policy.

Simon

vic_orthdox said:
I'm pretty sure that from a selector's point of view, the byes are good as it gives you a chance to take stock, reassess, etc. for future selection policy.
from a playing point of view they arent very good...

David

International 12th Man
I think the season has gone quite well.
  • Smash has gone
  • New team integrated well
  • Internationals run smoothly

On the other hand
  • Less "Community" activity
  • Byes

I think, somewhat, the byes have hurt a little. It's obviously not as exciting when you (if you're like me and don't check the schedule) check out the games for the day and your team isn't involved. Not sure if there is much to be done about this, can't very well get rid of a team, but I wouldn't advocate adding another at this point. On the other hand, the byes have certainly helped management committees, and as such it seems that the other teams have gotten more involved with the actual work involved with their respective teams.

As to community activity, it seems we've somewhat segregated into our own little team groups, and there is seemingly less "CW" spirit. I think, personally, that there has certainly been too much animosity on the boards. I find nothing wrong with friendly rivalry, but I think in some instances it has gone too far. Certainly as a Red, I feel we've been victimised by other members of the community for our outspoken ways, and this has led to a "them or us" attitude. I'll admit that often we've somewhat brought it down on our selves, but nevertheless feel that, on the whole, the community spirit was lacking. I was also somewhat dissappointed by the lack of media by the community, although Pickup's recent articles have been a joy.

I can't really pinpoint it in the end, perhaps it's a mixture of a lot of little things, but I did feel that this season lacked that little bit of spark required to take it from being good (and don't get me wrong, the season has been good), to great. I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Personally:

A fantastic year, I have stood out in the OD game, and tbh, it's the first season I've felt that I've developed a long way.

5D, I've not been as good, but I've still played OK when Hakon's been away,

In all:

Don't like byes.
Not as much activity really.
OD sim ****ing up so much, is crap.

But:

IT'S BEEN REALLY CLOSE!!! :D

I mean, think about last year.

Green and Black were in all 3 finals.

But this year's been so close in both forms, with all 5 teams being there and there abouts.

So, good season, close season but with some faults.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not a huge fan of the byes either, but there's not much that can be done.
I still think that if it were possible to assemble a side of the players not selected for Dev games, and have that play against the bye team, it would help.

Understand if this is too much of a burden, however

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And the other problem you might find for that is the number of inactives this year.

I think 5 teams maybe a struggle if we lose so many as we're likely to.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
All i can say is bring back the SMASH.. few people have said they dont like it.. but if we have it as a pre season warm up comp or somthnig like that im sure it will do okay. Its CW's own little version of 20/20.