• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWBCC Fast Bowling Academy

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Very honored to get a invite to the Fast Bowling Academy, looking forward to working with the 'old heads' in the near future...:)

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Nnanden said:
I`m thinking of Demeza when I see this thing. =)

Looks awesome for the budding, young pacer. Work Dave, I know you`ve been busy with this.
Thanks man.
I tried to learn as much as possible from you when we played together :)

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Wow.
I am absoultely stoked to be offered a place in this academy!
I take it gratefully with two hands, and hope to learn as much as possible from the "old" hands of the bowling academy.
It is a great oppurtinity for us young pacemen, and even though I have learned several great tips from Liam and Nath at the blues camp, I really wish to learn and excel from the two Dave's and Kyle :)

Loving every moment of this.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Travis_Teh said:
Does t hat mean you are playing more, or not? :)
It does indeed, I`ve posted about it in the 'Sign-in' thread.

Good time to be a batsman. :D

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Nnanden said:
It does indeed, I`ve posted about it in the 'Sign-in' thread.

Good time to be a bastman. :D
bast

n 1: strong woody fibers obtained especially from the phloem of from various plants [syn: bast fiber]
2: (botany) tissue that conducts synthesized food substances (e.g., from leaves) to parts where needed; consists primarily of sieve tubes [syn: phloem]
3: cat- or lion-headed Egyptian goddess; represents life-giving power of the sun [syn: Bast]

Trying to figure out which one you're talking about...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Contracts Announced!

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted into the inaugural CWBCC Fast Bowling Academy and commiserations to those who missed out. We will be handing out a total of six contracts each season to the bowlers the Board feel are the most deserving. These contracts are seasonal and will conclude approximately 1 month after the Dev League season.

As has been previously mentioned the initial training camp will be held in Perth, Western Australia. We've been in contact with the West Australia Cricket Association and have managed to secure a deal with 6 of the A-Grade teams in the league. The clubs have generously accepted our request of slipping the Academy boys into some form of competition while they were over there. More detail on that to follow in the coming days.

Now onto the players who were offered Contracts:

Nick Borcich (CW Red)
First Class - 13 Games, 44 Wickets @ 24.02, Econ: 2.49, SR: 57.77, 1x5w, 0x10w, BB: 5/36
List A - 17 Games, 25 Wickets @ 28.52, Econ: 4.63, SR: 36.96, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 3/37

Nick made a spectacular entry to CW, bringing home match figures of 9/68 on his FC Debut for CW Red against Green last season. Since then, he hasn't managed any more large hauls, mostly settling for 2-fors and 3-fors. He's had to take a seat behind Kyle Wright, David Kennett and Dave Watt at Reds, and hasn't bowled the overs he would have liked. However, when one of the 3 mentioned is called up to the CW XI, Borcich has taken the opportunity with both hands. Consistent is a word that sums Nick up adequately. Consistent line and length is what produces his wickets - he's no speedster, but can move the ball both ways off the seam just enough to do damage. We'll be working on adding a bit more variety to his armoury and getting him crucial experience with the new ball in both formats.

Nathan Hoy (CW Green)
ODI's - 3 Games, 4 Wickets @ 38.00, Econ: 7.20, SR: 31.50, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 2/47
First Class - 51 Games, 192 Wickets @ 21.92, Econ: 2.06, SR: 63.81, 7x5w, 0x10w, BB: 5/26
List A - 55 Games, 102 Wickets @ 21.61, Econ: 4.91, SR: 26.38, 2x4w, 5x5w, BB: 6/30

Hoy is just about the complete package - is quick, keeps it tight and takes wickets. One of the most exciting prospects coming through the system, after 50 games he's still averaging 21 with the ball in both formats! Has recently made a breakthrough into the ODI team, where he was selected for the Indian tour, and while it wasn't too successful for him personally, India is a tough initiation and he'll benefit from the experience. The main things we'll be trying to focus on is the one-percenters. The little things that make a bowler 'complete' - cutting down front foot no balls, stamina, and mental toughness.

Bryce Cunningham (CW Green)
First Class - 29 Games, 100 Wickets @ 22.64, Econ: 2.52, SR: 53.80, 1x5w, 0x10w, BB:6/22
List A - 22 Games, 28 Wickets @ 29.86, Econ: 4.83, SR: 37.07, 2x4w, 0x5w, BB: 4/42

Another bright prospect in both forms - with bat and ball. He shares the ball with some of the best young guns in the system - Nathan Hoy, Xavier Rose, Rob Timewell - but has still managed to make a name for himself with the ball by producing some sensational spells of bowling. As with Nick Borcich, he doesn't get as many overs under his belt as he would like, but for the limited overs he does get, he usually makes full use of them. This is highlighted by his FC strike-rate (53.80), which is one of the best going around. The bowler who I tip will gain the most experience and benefit from bowling at the WACA on the training camp, is a regular in the high 140km/h bracket and occasionally steps the odd one up to low 150km/h which should be exciting on the WACA pitch.

Travis Demeza (CW Blue)
First Class - 17 Games, 74 Wickets @ 28.08, Econ: 3.55, SR: 47.40, 4x5w, 2x10w, BB: 8/57
List A - 16 Games, 17 Wickets @ 36.65, Econ: 5.16, SR: 42.59, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 3/41

Crash 'n' Bash seems to be the philosophy of young Blue Travis Demeza. A bowler who appears to be in the wrong era, which being he isn't afraid of dropping it in short and clanging helmets. He's very hit-or-miss at the moment, but when he gets everything right he is the most devastating bowler in CW, ask any top order batsman and 99% will agree. One game that sticks in the mind of CW Red batsmen was on the PDV Dome last season. First innings, Demeza finished with 25.1-8-39-4, claiming CW XI opener Hakon Moerk, Reds Rookie of the Season Rob Dauth, Zaid Ghansar and Iyer. Second innings and the Reds top order still couldn't handle him, he got the scalps of the top 5 (Moerk, Stedman, Dauth, Iyer, Dobson) and finished up with number 7, Zaid Ghansar on his way to 6/38. Match figures of 40-9-77-10, all 10 wickets being recognised batsmen. With Travis we will mostly be working on the physical side of his game, ensuring he can bowl at full pace for longer, and also refining his action which should lengthen his career and extract a few km/h.

Adam Collins (CW Blue)
First Class - 47 Games, 148 Wickets @ 27.23, Econ: 2.05, SR: 79.75, 3x5w, 0x10w, BB: 5/31
List A - 24 Games, 23 Wickets @ 41.26, Econ: 5.50, SR: 45.00, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 3/34

Adam is a unique bowler with a lot of potential. While he's only medium pace, he is one of the tightest bowlers in the competition. He often takes the new ball for CW Blue, bowls long spells, and doesn't give an inch. A huge mover of the ball, both off the pitch and swing. Appears to have a great deal of variation, which will catch any lapse in concentration by the batsmen. Being a one of the rare left arm seamers in the system adds another uniqueness to his game. If a team wanted a containment bowler, Adam Collins would be in the top 3 of most lists. We'll be looking to mainly work on his 1D game, and try to force his way back into the 1D starting XI down at the PDV Dome. His variety could come in very handy in the latter overs of a one-day match, however when he's been hit around his confidence gets battered and he bowls too short at the end to compensate. Hopefully one of the things we'll be able to teach him is the tactics of bowling in the 1D game, and I'm sure Liam Camps will be able to take Adam under his wing in that aspect.

Callum Thompson (CW Black)
First Class - 21 Games, 64 Wickets @ 32.52, Econ: 2.70, SR: 72.22, 1x5w, 0x10w, BB: 5/75
List A - 25 Games, 29 Wickets @ 32.41, Econ: 5.01, SR: 38.83, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 3/42

Thompson is one of the more underperforming of the quicks. He has got huge talent, and that’s been shown in glimpses of brilliance. Neil Pickup will require a lot more from him this coming season, with Blacks number 1 spearhead Sangrah Bhatia retiring after the Indian tour. Next season is one where he needs to make an impact, he's got the opportunity, and just needs to make the most of it. Kyle and Dave will be working hard on getting Callum's fluency back into his action, which he appears to have lost in the latter part of the season. We'll also try to get him to bowl more aggressively, but in doing so using his head and not just blazing away.

Again, on behalf of the Academy Staff I congratulate you all.

Regards
Dave Watt
Head Coach

Loony BoB

International Captain
Congratulations and good luck to all of you, and for those I've had and look to continue to have the pleasure of playing alongside, I look forward to seeing the results against our opposition!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very proud to pass on my knowledge and experience of pace bowling. I'm looking forward to yet another challenge. Congratulations to all bowlers selected.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Bryce Cunningham (CW Green)
First Class - 29 Games, 100 Wickets @ 22.64, Econ: 2.52, SR: 53.80, 1x5w, 0x10w, BB:6/22
List A - 22 Games, 28 Wickets @ 29.86, Econ: 4.83, SR: 37.07, 2x4w, 0x5w, BB: 4/42

Another bright prospect in both forms - with bat and ball. He shares the ball with some of the best young guns in the system - Nathan Hoy, Xavier Rose, Rob Timewell

will no doubt score alot more overs next season with the inactivity of Timewell.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to everyone involved, especially my those two blues who kept me away from the new ball last season. :D

Go easy on those Perth grade cricketers, Travis.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Which grade side will I be playing for? Fremantle :D.. or even better, any team but Scarborough ;)

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Nathan Hoy (CW Green)
ODI's - 3 Games, 4 Wickets @ 38.00, Econ: 7.20, SR: 31.50, 0x4w, 0x5w, BB: 2/47
First Class - 51 Games, 192 Wickets @ 21.92, Econ: 2.06, SR: 63.81, 7x5w, 0x10w, BB: 5/26
List A - 55 Games, 102 Wickets @ 21.61, Econ: 4.91, SR: 26.38, 2x4w, 5x5w, BB: 6/30

Hoy is just about the complete package - is quick, keeps it tight and takes wickets. One of the most exciting prospects coming through the system, after 50 games he's still averaging 21 with the ball in both formats! Has recently made a breakthrough into the ODI team, where he was selected for the Indian tour, and while it wasn't too successful for him personally, India is a tough initiation and he'll benefit from the experience. The main things we'll be trying to focus on is the one-percenters. The little things that make a bowler 'complete' - cutting down front foot no balls, stamina, and mental toughness.
Much to kind ;) :cool:
Congrats to my fellow Academy members on being selected...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Training Camp Details

All the discussions are finalised and the paperwork has gone through...

We've done some careful research and stragitically put players in clubs where they might find it the most difficult - there has to be something testing about playing A graders!

Nick Borcich - Fremantle
Home Ground: Stevens Reserve.

Nick will face a similar challenge down at Stevens Reserve as he does at Reds. He'll be competeing for the new ball with WA players Sean Ervine and Brett Dorey, and exciting quick Jamie Heath. The Academy Staff were thinking about requesting Borcich to be placed at Scarborough, however we realised he'd never get a game ;)

Adam Collins - Scarborough
Home Ground: Abbett Park

A tough assignment for Adam bowling at Abbett Park, which is typically a run-feast (might be due to the fact Scarboroughs opening batsman is the curator :p). He'll find tough competition down there, with now retired WA medium pacer Kade Harvey, and newly assigned WA player Dave Bandy being the 2 main medium pacers.

Bryce Cunningham - Melville
Home Ground: Tompkins Park

Quiet possibly the toughest ask out of all the CW'ers in the competition. Bryce will be making Tompkins his new home and will be competing against young England quick Chris Tremlett and WA paceman Steve Magoffin. Will most likely play first/second change and aim for the new ball.

Travis Demeza - Joondalup
Home Ground: Iluka Sporting Complex

Judging by the team list Travis will be opening the bowling alongside ex South African international Mike Rindell. We're hoping Mike will take the big trav under his wing while he's over there and pass on some words of wisdom. Iluka is a very windy ground being so close to the ocean, and it'll be exciting to watch Travis bowling from the Clubroom end with the wind from left to right - At his pace I hope the batsmen are wearing steelcaps!

Nathan Hoy - Rockingham-Mandurah
Home Ground: Settlers Hill

When Rockingham-Mandurah heard the rumour we were sending 6 boys over there, they were the first ones on the phone to us. Basically Rockingham-Mandurah are the laughing stocks of the competition, and Nathan Hoy will have his work cut out trying to turn around that tag. He'll be bowling many overs I feel, most likely opening the bowling with injury prone ex SA, ex WA and I think ex Australian player Paul Wilson, who's a playing coach down there. The only upside is Settlers Hill, from reports we've seen is an absolute paddock, which should be intersing when Hoy has a trundle on it.

Callum Thompson - Perth
Home Ground: Fletcher Park

Should get a few overs under his belt playing for Perth, they have a 1 man pace bowling attack at times - Paul Keenan taking most of the wickets. No big names to speak of in the bowling department so will find himself bowling alot of overs. Could also pick up some batting tips from Garth Nottle and Luke Ronchi on the side ;)

There will be 10x1D games and 10x4D games. (yes they extended it from 2D club comp ;) ) The schedule is included as an attatchment, and games should kick off this Friday or Saturday depending on my work - Sorry, no time to relax in between Club Cricket and Dev League :)

A report stating stats and comments will be given after each match, similar to the Club Cricket format.

Thats it for now
Dave
Head Coach

Attachments

Last edited: