• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dev League Suggestions

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Season 9 of Dev League cricket there will be a fair amount of shuffling around of players, as well as trading and possibly an expansion team. There is also an option of a loan system throughout the season, but for limited temporary contracts. Added to that, trading will be an option for a longer period of the season.

What are your thoughts on innovations for Season 9? What would you like to see and how should it be instituted?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can't say I'm that much in favour - people are in danger of losing sight of the actual reason for Dev Cricket.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
But there are many more players nowadays, the players who were more honest with their skill assesments on sign-up(eg. Me) are destined for a life in Dev. League cricket.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Maybe teams could be allowed to sign a real player as an overseas player, but then again that might mean less people get to play regularly.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I thought about that, but it would require a major(possibly 2 team) expansion, which would add 16 regular places, rather than a 1 team expansion with overseas which would add just 5 places.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'd like to throw the University idea in again - if there's enough back-up, one or two University sides could be formed out of the bench-warmers, who could then play friendlies against touring teams, Dev teams or each other. This would perhaps decrease cross-team rivalry a little bit, and most importantly, give everyone a go at playing cricket :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yes...against international opponents. We're all working for CW XI, after all...
Lancashire and Yorkshire's rivalry doesn't have any adverse effects on Andrew Flintoff and Matthew Hoggard when they play for England

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
Lancashire and Yorkshire's rivalry doesn't have any adverse effects on Andrew Flintoff and Matthew Hoggard when they play for England
What d'you know about that? Heard the stump mike? :p

Seriously, there's been a bit too much banter going on recently IMO. Others may disagree.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think the main goal of any changes should be to give everyone as many games as possible.

i think that 1 or 2 extra teams would be a good idea. perhaps each team could sighn 1 or 2 (fairly low level) international players to make sure that there is enough players to play. these internationals would not be allowed to play however, unless there were no other options. so if a team had 10 dev players and 2 internationals left during a CWXI tour or an injury crisis only 1 would be allowed to play.

Blaze

Banned
How about pre season tours for each of the Dev League teams? It would be greeat for players who aren't involved in the Circket Web XI to get international exposure and would be great in preparing for season 9.

Or how about a knockout tournament involving our four sides and clubs/provinces from around the world. Like the Champions League in football.

They are just ideas

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
maybe the winning team get the chance topartake in a club championship. i doubt the rest would qualify. especially if we spread the players wider into more teams.

cricketboy29

International Regular
I think getting two extra teams, or even one extra team would be better, since the newbies, like me, would get to play a little bit more. Since, nearly everyone's established in their respective teams, and unless stats were exagerated,it'll be very hard, to remove them from there.

dinu23

International Debutant
I think every team should have another team like a B side so every one has a chance to play. remember what happend to Harris last season.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I like Hakon idea about a University, Academy, B side, whatever you want to call them. I think it is important that everyone gets a game every week as that what we signed up to play cricket. I know being a rookie i don't except to walk into the 1st XI straight away, but you go except to play some cricket somewhere and in some form. I know you can play club cricket in the off season, but the main cricket gets played during the season and that when you want to play, you don't want to be sitting in stands watching everyone else play. Also by having a Uni/Academy side the guys on the fringes can keep their name infront of the 1st Team captain rather just have to post useless post, just to show your still active.
If you only have one extra side then each team has a bye each week (CW Time), so the Uni side can play the team with a bye.

I don't like the overseas player option as it would just mean that less players get chances to play in the 1st Team, as their spots will be taken by overseas players.

I personally like the player loan option, but i guess guys who have been at a club for a couple season don't want to be traded. But the way i look at it is that it spread the players across the team and have a even competition and allow guys that can't get a run in their 1st team cus there is too many players in their position a chance to move team to a move of a go. But people shouldn't be loaned out or traded unless they are happy with the move themselves.

I think it would be nice to have a training option, that allows you to work on areas of your game during the season. Also i think it important that the new sign up system is ready for next season, so people stop signing ip with unrealistic stats.

There is my 2cents...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Another team or two would be a good move, and loans are sensible to fill gaps in sides that are depleted by international duties and so on.