Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Office of the Stats Keeper

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Office of the Stats Keeper

Good day all,

The Dev Season is about to start, and as a I asked a while ago, is anyone willing to be official OD stats-keeper this season. The 5D stats will be taken care of, but I need someone to keep up-to-date OD stats with the following: Matches, Innings, NOs, Runs, Avge, Ct, St, 50s, 100s, HS, SR; Overs, Wickets, Runs, Avge, 4w, 5w, BB, Econ, SR.

I know a couple of you guys put your hands up last time around, but I need a confirmation. At least one person is needed, but two would be even better.

So anyone?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    More than happy too - in fact, I'm already keeping detailed stats for CW Green at the least.

EDIT: Also, if anyone else wants to help with stats, I have an Excel spreadsheet that will automatically tally runs, balls, outs/not-outs, averages, strike rates, economy rates etc. I should be able to fix it up to also automatically count 100s, 50s and probably HS - Best Bowling will need to be done manually at least for now, though, not sure if I can get that working right straight away.

EDIT AGAIN: Liam, can you confirm how many OD's and 5D games there will be per team this season? Including potential finals if you can...
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 20-01-2005 at 05:23 AM.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Breakout Champion!
    I'll do it

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    ^ you 2 can team up.. it will make things a lot easier on each other while ones busy etc..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    More than happy too - in fact, I'm already keeping detailed stats for CW Green at the least.

EDIT: Also, if anyone else wants to help with stats, I have an Excel spreadsheet that will automatically tally runs, balls, outs/not-outs, averages, strike rates, economy rates etc. I should be able to fix it up to also automatically count 100s, 50s and probably HS - Best Bowling will need to be done manually at least for now, though, not sure if I can get that working right straight away.

EDIT AGAIN: Liam, can you confirm how many OD's and 5D games there will be per team this season? Including potential finals if you can...
    If you can figure out how to do it from scorecards, great (I gave that up when ITC came) Send it this way (e-mail: haakon dot moerk at nordprosjekt dot no) and I can see if I can tweak it to do best bowling as well - managed to do that with a spreadsheet I had before, this can't be much different
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    If you can figure out how to do it from scorecards, great (I gave that up when ITC came) Send it this way (e-mail: haakon dot moerk at nordprosjekt dot no) and I can see if I can tweak it to do best bowling as well - managed to do that with a spreadsheet I had before, this can't be much different
    I can't get it to read the scorecards specifically, but I can get Excel to do most things I want it to do... am trying to get BB right now and making it a bit more user friendly so I can spread it around.

Right now I have it set so all you need to enter is as follows...
    Batting: Runs scored, Balls faced, Was the player out.
    Bowling: Balls bowled, Runs conceded, Wickets taken.
    Fielding: Catches, Stumpings, Matches played.

From that it figures out everything Liam asked for but the BB, although I have it figuring out Most Wickets and I think I can manage to get the Best Bowling overall done once I finish tweaking it. I'm such a stats nerd...
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 20-01-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Hmm, having a bit of trouble with a few things...
    1) Showing that a High Score was Not Out
    2) Converting balls bowled into overs (or vice versa) without the trouble of having 6.8333... overs being bowled when 41 balls were bowled (or vice versa). Are we okay with having just plain balls instead of overs? I can probably do conversions on request and do a major conversion of all of them at the end of season if you like.
    3) That Best Bowling thing.

For now I'm just looking at how to make this easiest to manage using the existing data but yeah, so far, aside from that info I mentioned, it's all good.

Hmm, having a bit of trouble with a few things...
    1) Showing that a High Score was Not Out
    The way I did it: Add 0.1 in the HS if it's a not out, and then ask the output formula to add a star if the HS isn't an integer. (so you'd have to have another column in the output, obviously)

2) Converting balls bowled into overs (or vice versa) without the trouble of having 6.8333... overs being bowled when 41 balls were bowled (or vice versa). Are we okay with having just plain balls instead of overs? I can probably do conversions on request and do a major conversion of all of them at the end of season if you like.
    Whatever works - though in the output, you can make another column with overs that uses a formula such as this (say it is in A1) INT(A1/6)+mod(a1,6)*0.1

3) That Best Bowling thing.
    If you've got it to read most wickets, that should be easy - what I did was to subtract the amount of runs / 1000 and add 1 (that way the best bowling figure will show up as something like this: 3,985 - 3-15) - and then reverse that, something like INT(A1) + (1-MOD(A1,1))*1000.

Dude, you're a spreadsheet genius. You put me to shame! Got MSN? I don't quite think I understand what you mean for the best bowling bit.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I know when I'm beat - something tells me you'd laugh at my now apparently lacking spreadsheet skills. Do you happen to have whatever spreadsheet it is that you used beforehand so I can look over it and adjust mine accordingly? I've been using pretty lengthy processes just to get simple things done...
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 20-01-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Dude, you're a spreadsheet genius. You put me to shame! Got MSN? I don't quite think I understand what you mean for the best bowling bit.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I know when I'm beat - something tells me you'd laugh at my now apparently lacking spreadsheet skills. Do you happen to have whatever spreadsheet it is that you used beforehand so I can look over it and adjust mine accordingly? I've been using pretty lengthy processes just to get simple things done...
    I try not to laugh.

MSN is haakon dot moerk at nordprosjekt dot no.

I'll dig down, see if I can find the thing after my hard-disk crash...if not I've got a version working for VC4.

Edit: Attached my refined version of Loony's spreadsheet because there was nowhere else to put it (I don't have a lot of files free on my webspace atm)
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 24-01-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    I try not to laugh.

MSN is haakon dot moerk at nordprosjekt dot no.

I'll dig down, see if I can find the thing after my hard-disk crash...if not I've got a version working for VC4.

Edit: Attached my refined version of Loony's spreadsheet because there was nowhere else to put it (I don't have a lot of files free on my webspace atm)
    Thanks heaps mate, you've been a huge help.

Alright, steds, check this attachment - it has all teams now and hopefully will be fit to use for the whole season.

EDIT: Adjusted it again 21/01 16:37 - Minor tweaking so batting stats rows don't keep expanding in height. Also the last one I uploaded wasn't counting catches etc. for some reason, fixed that too.
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 24-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Vimes, thanks heaps for your help again, but I noticed that the BB field is still sometimes counting things incorrectly (although it only happens with certain figures, eg 1 wicket for five runs shows up as 1 wicket for four runs.

A feature of Excel's inability to multiply and divide by 1000 correctly (sometimes it'll do 4.999999999999999 - which rounds down to 4). Fixed now, I reckon (it rounds to the nearest integer, instead of rounding down to the nearest integer)

Edit: I just spotted another mistake - econ rates and strike rates aren't calculated correctly because I changed the balls into overs in my upload. Oops.

Edit 2: Fixed!
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 24-01-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks mate, you're a legend.

EDIT: I've entered in all the opposition information (well, for the first 24 games, obviously) and made minor changes such as the S/R for bowling not showing as #DIV/0! when there are no wickets taken, and also added in BlackCap Fan's simming name and bat type etc... I'll upload it once I get the few new names that have joined added in before the season officially starts.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 22-01-2005 at 07:10 AM.

Ah, good to see that it's done game-by-game. I was just about to suggest that, seeing as I'd like a copy of the spreadsheet every week to do some stats-churning for the Times - if that's ok?

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information