• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection Process

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm making this thread because I'd love for the other thread to get back to it's previous state of not being filled with politics but rather being filled with people clapping each other on the back for slogging a winning six or slapping each other on the back of the head for dropping catches. :) I think it'd be best if, when we are in the thread which is made for results, we talk more about the results in order to keep everyone feeling involved instead of leaving some people too intimidated to even post.

Now, forgetting all the past problems with selections, please - how are the dev teams selected? Who does what? I think what needs to be done is to make sure that everyone knows the exact process and everyone follows it to the point that nobody is able to point fingers at everyone else and screaming as if that person just ran over their dog/cat/wife/goldfish/cricket bat/dress. It looks like only one team has had any real (publically announced) problems so hopefully we can figure out what the differences are between marc's view on how a team should be selected as opposed to the other captains' views on how a team should be selected. Once we find out the differences, I imagine we can come to a fast resolution and put all of this behind us.

This should also help a lot of newer people such as myself get on with having fun in the Dev League thread, at the same time we'll be learning something new about how CW XI works.

I'd like to stress the importance of concentrating on how the process works and not bothering with the past problems, as accusations are only complicating things. What we need to do, first and foremost, is prevent any problems from happening in the future.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Traditionally (ie before this season) I was the sole selector of the Dev League teams and captains could make suggestions which would be taken into account if feasible. There were no complaints.

This season the decision was to give captains more responsibility. The email dispatched at the start of the season:

As captains of your respective CW teams you have the following options in addition to what was communicated to you earlier:

- Fielding aggression at the start of the innings
(Highest, High, Medium, Low, Lowest)
- Situations under which the fielding aggression would be set at low
(eg run rate, scoreline etc.)
- Aggression for individual bowlers
(This can be set for your spearhead to bowl all out etc. For example, David Jr could be set as very aggressive)
- Bowlers that you wish for your batsmen to attack
(Particular opposition bowlers who you feel can be taken advantage of)
- New ball
(Will it be taken immediately or delayed? If delayed, state the amount of overs or the situation if situational.)

It's not madatory that you guys participate in the listed fields, but it does give you some measure of control.

The more important communication is for the 25Smash. I will pick the squad of 12 players and you can tell me what XI you want to play and the batting order which you would like. You don't have to do this for every game as I will take up the duties in games which you don't get around to submitting in time for. I just think that this would be an interesting aspect of the game as it would give the captains more of a role in the team's fortunes.
After a bit I stopped naming Smash 12-man squads due to lack of time and thus captains had even more power as they could name an available XI, not having to comply with a squad.

Regarding general selection:

Good morning,

As captain of the Cricket Web Red team, I need to find out a couple of things regarding tactics in simming.

1. Do you intend to use a nightwatchman? If yes, in what situation would he/she come into play?
2. What player(s) would you designate as nightwatchmen? (Your squad list is at the end of this email)
3. In what situations would you declare an innings closed? (Please state runs and overs)

Any other tactics which you wish to communicate, please just send them to this address and they will be taken into consideration. Keep in mind that you can also make selection requests and set batting and bowling orders.
Note the use of requests, as the decision was to give captains more control, not full control.

Impressively, Marc has taken a big interest in his team's fortunes and has named teams for most games this season. For Green, Black and Blue I have done most of the selecting, thankfully without complaints.

That's about it. If I've left out something, I'm sure someone will bring it up.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'll continue as an oblivious devil's advocate here - How would a captain know who is available for each game? Are they notified when a player become unavailable for dev league selection (and when they become available again)?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
to add (for green) - whenever i have made a suggestion or asked a qusetion, Liam has either agreed and implemented what i have asked or disagreed and emailed me letting me know why.

the main reason for me not making too many suggestions is that i hev been more than happy with the players selected throughout the season.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Loony BoB said:
I'll continue as an oblivious devil's advocate here - How would a captain know who is available for each game? Are they notified when a player become unavailable for dev league selection (and when they become available again)?
When the Test/ODI squad is named, the players are unavailable for selection. Heading into the Test and ODI series, the captains were informed of who they were losing via MSN.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:

if you dont know you could ask, say something like if player x is avaliable i would like him here, but if not player y would be good here....

but generally you know who is avaliable. injuries are posted and call ups are in their respective threads as well.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When the Test/ODI squad is named, the players are unavailable for selection. Heading into the Test and ODI series, the captains were informed of who they were losing via MSN.
So, to clarify, a member is unavailable from the time the CW XI team is named and is available again once the final match is played in each series?

And going by this, would it be safe to say that (assuming a test series is played before an ODI series) during the time after a final test is played and before the ODI squad is announced that the player is available for Dev League selection?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Loony BoB said:
So, to clarify, a member is unavailable from the time the CW XI team is named and is available again once the final match is played in each series?

And going by this, would it be safe to say that (assuming a test series is played before an ODI series) during the time after a final test is played and before the ODI squad is announced that the player is available for Dev League selection?
Generally yes, but there are times when rest days are taken (eg after the Chairman's Trophy).

As Age said, a captain may approach me to discuss the availability of a player.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Alrighty then - looks like this is where confusion comes in. Personally, I think what should be proposed is a solid system to know when a CWXI player is and isn't available (without having to ask the CWBCC each time, as I imagine that the CWBCC should declare such things) so we can all stay on the same page in the future - this should prevent any selection problems that could come up.

Now, as for that solid system, possibilities include...

Option A - An email is sent to the captain stating who is on CWXI duty for every dev league game.
Option B - An email is sent to the captain stating which players have become unavailable for dev league games, and an additional email is sent to the captain stating when the players are once again available for dev league games.
Option C - A thread is made purely for posts stating when a player is and isn't available.

You could also deal with injuries this way, if you don't already. If anyone else can think up ideas that'd be great. A solid system such as the above should clear things up for everyone. It might be a bit more work for the CWBCC but looking at how much time has been spent debating issues that have come up regarding selection, I can only imagine this will save more time then it will take.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
We need a lot more injuries. I might re-code the injury sim this weekend :)
I can already see the pre-match meetings. "Now, come on boys, I want to see real spirit today - batsmen, support each other! Bowlers, run faster than you ever thought you could! Fielders, commit yourselves to every ball that's played, take diving catches at every opportunity! Drink less milk and more booze! When you have to make a quick turn or you're bowling hard, make sure you land on the side of your foot! And please, laads - no stretches before the match this time. I want to see pulled muscles, groin strains and black eyes."

Loony BoB

International Captain
marc, would you be in agreement with me that one of those three options listed would solve all the problems regarding selections?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
We need a lot more injuries. I might re-code the injury sim this weekend :)
Throw in some longer injuries (10+ games?) too, but not frequently generated... please.

Last edited: