• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Proposal for Dev League Season 8

Andre

International Regular
In consultation with Neil, I'd like to propose the following.

* Scrap Australia 'A' and England 'A' - include them in an end of season tournament with Cricket Web 'A', Kenya and Bangladesh.

* Reduce squad sizes to a maximum of 16 players.

* Add another division side, in which an experianced player would captain it. All new players and sign-ups would go to this side so they get game-time. They may be weak in the beginning but the new players need as much game time as possible. In the end it will make the CWXI a far stronger side. Retired players such as Luckyeddie and Rik would fill in any gaps that were in the new side, and once more players signed up they would drop out.

* Once the new side reaches 16 players, another new side is started etc.

* While the new teams may be weak and unpredictable, they would start to click after a few games as we would figure out who can play and who can't. Perhaps for the first season, young players from the current squads (no more than say 8) could be drafted in to help out.

* Captains having full responsability with regards to the selection of XIs. If they have to wear the wrap at the end of the day, they should at least be responsable for the selections.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah it's alright!!! I wouldn't mind seeing the idea of trading implemented for the Dev league. Sure this might involve putting more power in the hands of the captains and vice captains and that... But hey i reckon it'd work alright... If it were conducted similar to WCC where it only happened at the start of the season.....

Your ideas are ok... I just think we need another dev team... not this *new team*... maybe the maroons.

I also think that the guys who play for the CW teams should take less of a role in the dev league games. They have enough fun as it is... let some youngsters have a go

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I say we call them the Gingers...

Anyhow, yeah, training would be a good call in my book, however it would require moves to be approved by a) the players involved, b) the captains and c) an independent tribunal committee.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the ideas. I was thinking that another Dev League team would be in order for next season anyway, but this adds more to that. It would help isolate the true talent and I particularly of the new players playing for the new team. It's sort of like West Indies 'B' was in the Carib Cup over the last couple of years.

Ideally the CWBCC (Reuben and I), Andre and Neil should meet on MSN soon to further discuss. One thing that I definitely think should come in is the involvement of a team rep. (not the captain, as he may change) in trading between squads in the offseason. Also the idea of having the captain totally responsible for team selection should cut down on a lot of controversy in the system.

Very interesting...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Agree - scrap Australie 'A' and England 'A'... I think we should have a purely CWLand domestic league, like other countries. Like the new teams idea too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Andre said:
* Captains having full responsability with regards to the selection of XIs. If they have to wear the wrap at the end of the day, they should at least be responsable for the selections.
That idea I fully support at once. That would solve so much of the controversy we have had this season.

Most of the other ideas are quite good too - although I fear that good, inactive players (e.g. V Reddy) will be favoured over poor, active ones (e.g. Steds). There should be something of an activity bonus (although how on earth that would be defined or implemented I have no clue).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
captains become managers eh? interesting idea

im not sure how many players are around at the moment, but if you take out the CWXI reps most squads seem to be around 16 players. but the idea of keeping the same teams and trading between them would be interesting.

overall an excellent idea for mine :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IOne thing that I definitely think should come in is the involvement of a team rep. (not the captain, as he may change) in trading between squads in the offseason.
though would this team rep be able to be captain, i dont see why the person could not be captain. but the team rep remains the team rep should the captaincy be changed. or they could remain VC and the captain changed around them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
though would this team rep be able to be captain, i dont see why the person could not be captain. but the team rep remains the team rep should the captaincy be changed. or they could remain VC and the captain changed around them.
If that rep is to a player on the team, it could well be the captain. However, the captain would first have to get the endorsement of continuing his captaincy into the next season.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
That idea I fully support at once. That would solve so much of the controversy we have had this season.

Most of the other ideas are quite good too - although I fear that good, inactive players (e.g. V Reddy) will be favoured over poor, active ones (e.g. Steds). There should be something of an activity bonus (although how on earth that would be defined or implemented I have no clue).
The CWBCC intends to flush out the inactive players during the offseason, so expect some career-ending injuries and the like.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If that rep is to a player on the team, it could well be the captain. However, the captain would first have to get the endorsement of continuing his captaincy into the next season.
Out of interest, who would give him this endorsement? The selectors? The team itself? The CWBCC?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Andre said:
* Scrap Australia 'A' and England 'A' - include them in an end of season tournament with Cricket Web 'A', Kenya and Bangladesh.
Yeah, I agree, Aussie A and Pommy A have caused Green more problems than any other team this season. ;) But seriously, good idea.

* Reduce squad sizes to a maximum of 16 players.
I like this idea, too.

* Add another division side, in which an experianced player would captain it. All new players and sign-ups would go to this side so they get game-time. They may be weak in the beginning but the new players need as much game time as possible. In the end it will make the CWXI a far stronger side. Retired players such as Luckyeddie and Rik would fill in any gaps that were in the new side, and once more players signed up they would drop out.
I agree with this to a point, however I do hope it won't end up being too unbalanced as I've really enjoyed 'growing up' under the more experienced players here. I'd think about three or four more experienced members at the least would be required.

* Once the new side reaches 16 players, another new side is started etc.
Sounds good - so long as there are 11 players for the next team! That's the problem, finding the right point to move people across. Unless we're just going to put everyone on a waiting list while we wait for 11-16 members to sign up for a new team.

* While the new teams may be weak and unpredictable, they would start to click after a few games as we would figure out who can play and who can't. Perhaps for the first season, young players from the current squads (no more than say 8) could be drafted in to help out.
No worries there. So long as it's not me. ;) I really enjoy being in the more peaceful, casual side. :)

I agree with that, however if no selection is sent, it should be made clear that no changes will be made at all. If there's an injury, it could be up to the board to decide the remaining player and the captain would have to accept their decision as they never sent in their own selections in the first place. Either that or they'd have to set up some kind of system in case of such an injury.

Great idea overall, though. What colour would the new team be? With Black, Green, Red, Blue already taken... Yellow? Gold? Orange? Purple? Aquamarine? Off-White? :p Should be something decent at least.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Loony BoB said:
I agree with that, however if no selection is sent, it should be made clear that no changes will be made at all. If there's an injury, it could be up to the board to decide the remaining player and the captain would have to accept their decision as they never sent in their own selections in the first place. Either that or they'd have to set up some kind of system in case of such an injury.
Or the 12th man could slot in.

Great idea overall, though. What colour would the new team be? With Black, Green, Red, Blue already taken... Yellow? Gold? Orange? Purple? Aquamarine? Off-White? :p Should be something decent at least.
I expect that some would object to having to wear yellow and purple. Gold is too easy a basis for bragging. Orange is too... tacky IMO. Aquamarine... now there's an idea! Cricket Web Aquamarine! ... the CWAms...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I expect that some would object to having to wear yellow and purple.
Why? Purple's a beastie colour! I vote Purple!!!!!!!!! :happy: :) :D

Aquamarine... now there's an idea! Cricket Web Aquamarine! ... the CWAms...
Oh yeah, very suave :)

Simon

i like these ideas guys, but im easy, i just want it to continue being fun...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The CWBCC intends to flush out the inactive players during the offseason, so expect some career-ending injuries and the like.
That could have some big impacts...