• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Proposal for Dev League Season 8

Loony BoB

International Captain
As far as I know, my end of regular season batting rating was 218. I had no rating as a bowler as I did not bowl in 5D matches. My rating as a fielder was 4. These were taken from this file, which has ratings that any member can view in the files which are zipped. The files are rating01.html, rating02.html and rating03.html. Are these not the skill ratings? If not, that's what I was meaning when I said that salary should be based on skill ratings - they should be based on the total of all ratings taken from the 5D stats which are released throughout the series. The rating at the start of the series should be used to calculate the cost of the player per season of contract. Simple and easy.

The amount of rating points (or money, whatever) that a team should be able to spend should be based on the total of all players' ratings divided by the number of teams and then with about 1-5% added on to ensure we don't end up with players not being able to be afforded by any team at all. :p It would make the whole system more fair, too, as the ratings would be evenly balanced.

The only real problem would be managing to get equal teams the first time around. After the first lot of contract-signing etc, though, it should get a lot easier in the future as it becomes obvious which players will be up for grabs and when. Once a contract ends, the cost of the player can be reset according to his total ratings and then the club can either state that they can or can't afford to keep him - if they can't, then other clubs can lick their chops and make offers to the player.

One thing managers (or captains) would have to keep in mind is how often a player would be available, too, as they'd often have to run off for CW XI duties.

I think this would allow for the players to have a lot more involvement with their careers and CW Dev League in general, which is always a good thing as too often we see invaluable players not posting in CW, and this would ensure they are keeping a real eye on how things go.

A contract would require a player to be active, of course. If a player becomes inactive, s/he would be considered in breach of contract and thus removed from the future seasons until they return, as with the real world. :p

Loony BoB

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Those ratings posted are performance ratings - like PwC, nothing else.
Would that not mean they are the best and fairest way to formulate the cost of a player? I think it would be. And I'm not even 'worth' all that much according to it. :p

EDIT: PwC is also notably the most respected system when it comes to such things, which further backs up what I have been saying. Unless you were meaning to back me up as well... in which case, oki doki!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well, I'm against the whole aspect of contracts as it just over-formalises and rigidifies (sic) it all. They'd measure current form only and vary a heck of a lot, so I'm not sure they're too valid.

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
Could we include both PwC and "We'll give you this much - do you accept?". eg have a range from say $1 - $5 for a player with a rating of 2 and the club chooses how much inside the given range to offer the player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I for one question where you'd find people with enough time to "manage" the teams, let alone considering the amount of time it'd take Liam etc. to regulate it, and keep check of it all!

Loony BoB

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I for one question where you'd find people with enough time to "manage" the teams, let alone considering the amount of time it'd take Liam etc. to regulate it, and keep check of it all!
Definitely the main argument against it, I'll give you that.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
The initial idea of the CW XI wasn't mine. It was Reuben's and Rich's. I just evovled it
Too true.. but we both play a key part atm.. You see liam play a more frontline role because he is a bit more free atm.. But all the decisions.. all the new integrations in the CW Cricket etc to make enhance it and make it more better are thought at the board and discussed and agreed on there.. also there are some fine raw suggestions made my members of CW Cricket which are taken to the next level at the meetings..