• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nath York goes to New Patrick... hang on a sec

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Third Game

After that win, we were on a high. Man, first line and I already bring drug abuse into this, Its gonna be a looong post....

Its becoming clear that we are a batting team. Our batting lineup is extremely strong but our bowling line-up (as up myself as this sounds) revolves around me. Sure Murali, Persad and Moora put the effort in, but they are not World Class (or even First Class) bowlers. Ferd has been great in the nets recently so hopefully he can bring that into the next few games.

One-dayer against Atlanta it was. Atlanta have a very well balanced team with Webhead newcomers Mike and Bryce and experienced paceman Rose. It was gonna be a tough game, but as long as we had control of Rose, we thought we`d be alright.

After 5 overs we were 3/10! Rose had grabbed 3 wickets in his first three overs!! Not cool!!! He had Ferd caught and Mid-on, Daniel was bowled by a beauty and he had Foster LBW to a ball which probably just pitched outside leg but it was a fair enough decision.

What followed next was amazing. Ash (who walked out to the tune of "In tha Club") and Gray put on 98 for the 4th wicket in no time at all. Ash made 68 off 55 and his partner in crime made 40 off 51.
However they made a huge 57% of our total as the rest of us collapsed. Its a very sad day for batting if I get the third-highest score, and even sadder if that score is 17 with no boundaries :dry:

Rose grabbed 4/32 off 7 and part-time Leggie Tucker also took four (three of those were the three top-scoring batsmen in Ash, Gray and myself!).

We then got to bowl and we performed above expectations. They got home with only 3 wickets and 21 balls to spare. Bryce made a nice (hehe) 36 off 51 and that man Tucker (Ash now has a "clever" new name for him) got a controlled 39 off 70 which saw them home.

I took an expensive 3/35 off 6.3 which included Rose caught behind for a pathetic 2 :D and Mike for 13. Bryce however was most annoyed after being out LBW to a Chaulk special which bounced seven times. The umpire (wanting to see a close contest) conveniently forgot to signal a no-ball and instead gave Bryce the dreaded finger. Ferd`s off-spinners also came out well as he got an economical 0/17 off 5.

We have sure got a lot to work out for our next few games, but as always, there are some positives. I feel like Im bowling rather well, as is Ferd and Ash and Gray are batting very well indeed. Poor Mr Towns however is having no luck with the bat or ball and needs to Pickup his game. And i finish off with a pun.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Fourth Game

Maine the Pain in a one-dayer, but we were at home this time! Muhaha!! I dont know how big an advantage a home game is, but surely is has to be better than traveling. Surely...

Halsey`s Army (much like Dad`s Army) is a side lacking in batting, so when we won the toss, we decided to have a bowl.

Darren Foster`s brother Edward was the opening bat in this team so I was expecting some friendly chit-chat between the two in the opening stages. However I was taken aback when Darren walked right past his brother, up to me and scowled "Give him Hell son." Obviously there is something there Im not aware of, best to stay out of it IMO!

Edward is a huge driver of the ball, so I decided to pitch it a bit shorter than usual to him. First over was decent, and then Persad struck, having Edward caught behind of a fuller delivery. There went my tactics!!

Besides Bola`s well made 61 (89) including three huge sixes, Maines batting was hopeless. Halsey was doing alright when he was 15 (15) but he was run-out by a great throw at cover by Polak. Maine were all-out for 156 after 42 overs. I took 4/28 off 9 which i was absolutely estatic about. Ash bowled economically (how? HHOOOWW?!?!?!?!), Towns got the number three and Ferd was decent.

Then we batted, and it was easily our best performance thus far. There are five CW players in this team, and only they batted :)
Ferd made a brilliant 56 (72), Towns made a very quick 34 (36) which included a six, Ash made an ever quicker 21 (18) and then Gray (25* off 28) and I (14* off 28) finished it off.
Halsey was steady with 1/40 off 9 and none of the other bowlers really showed any encouraging signs at all.

We won by seven wickets with twenty overs to spare. I got MOTM for my bowling effort, and the team is rolling along!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Next up was Atlanta - Rose`s Team. We played them in a FC game and then a one-dayer. Besides Rose, Atlanta also has two up-and-coming CW stars Bryce and Mike. Then there is also a fellow Blues bowler in Collins and all-rounder Tucker. Bryce and Mike are virtually unknown so they bat middle-order and get a bit of a bowl every game :p Im sure one-day we`ll take the time to see what they bowl and with what handedness they bat. If handedness isnt a word, I just made it one. Sweet.

Atlanta won the toss (Gayton!) and batted. It was once again a pretty even track and a good contest seemed due. We got off to a... well I was going to say rollocking, but thats hardly the word. Things were slow as Atlanta were content to block everything remotely on the stumps. This was reflected in part by a third of my overs being maidens (3/72 off 30). However, just as things seemed to be closing in their first innings, the tail wagged so damn hard, I thought I was in T&T, with tornados surrounding. They went from 7/198 to 362ao. Rose made a nice 41 off 90 and BOWLER Adam (76) and Child (34) made sure we were fielding for a helluva long while!
Ferd was the star for us as he took 5/30 with his under-rated offies.

Our batting turn came... and it went. We were taken in only 76 overs, and the Atlanta Webheads shone :) Rose took three, Bryce took three, Bluefox took two, Ads got one and Wilson grabbed a rabbit :dry: . I however showed some dignity, and gave up my wicket for no-one, finishing 8* (34). We were all-out for 259.

A huge bowling effort (or a ****ing bloody **** of a **** go of it - courtesy of Foster) was needed for us to stay in the match. We put in a big effort for big results as they were rolled for 205. I took 6/68 (including Bryce and Bluefox) and Gray had Mike stumped off Ferd. I tried my hardest to explain the connection between Ash not bowling, and us caining the opposition, but no-one was listening. May that not come back to haunt us.

We needed 309, and we were never going to get there. Thats not to say we batted badly, but we were always behind. Towns got a nice 45 and Gray a smart 74, but it wasnt enough. Rose took five (including Ferd for only three) and Bryce snatched two (including the on-song Gray and Gavin Polak whose having a terrible time of things). Adam got Chaulk and Collins.

Once again I remained on a not-out score (21* off 36) but I am not the team, and the team failed. Im over-rating myself and I know it, but while im on fire, I will continue to boast :D . I am yet to have a bad game and I hope that trend continues.

Rose took the deserved MOTM for his bowling efforts and decent batting. My congrats go out to Bryce, whose batting and bowling was on fire this game and I hope this continues for him (as long as it aint against me :p ). Mike. Poor Mike. I hope you learn from this I guess. Sorry, thats as encouraging as it gets :happy:

Personally I had a ripper of a game (my batting average for this off-season is now over 50, and my bowling is under 20), but I cant do everything. Ferd continues to impress with both bat and ball, Towns always gets some quick runs, Gray is an awesome keeper and a consistent run scorer, and we also have Ash.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sixth Game (i used to like this number...)

Well it happened. I get all up myself and then some junior up-start comes and smashes me around. And that was before the game.

I was signing Autographs on my way to the bus, when I see this Four-year old kid starin` at me. "Whose that tall man with the strange hair Daddy?" asked the girl. "His name is Nath Patrick, he bowls for the Yanks." answered the Dad, aware of me watching the conversation.
Then the little girl grabbed a piece of paper and started walking towards me. Whoo, another autograph to be signed, good to get the youngins involved in the game. I bent over as she ran up only to have her foot meet my jatz-crackers.
I have been hurt many times during my life. And sure, some of them have been small injuries but some big. And having your dude smacked like that aint cool!
I guess this is just another incident in my already troubled life with the opposite ***. This incident however, is slightly different.

Thankful to be off the team bus (heckled many a time) I got ready for the game, but still in a fair amount of pain.

Atlanta won the toss and decided to have a bat. This was a slight suprise, as the pitch looked like it would be helping the bowlers a bit, especially the spinners. Bluefox and Rose opened, and Rose came and went - out for 7. I then got Darving out for 1, and they were down early at 10/2.
Out in the middle still was Bluefox, met by CW newbie Bryce, and this is when the (my) trouble started. I dont know what Bryce had heard, but hes gunna pay. I ran up about to bowl at him, staring at the base of the stumps. I bowled it and released a well-paced ball. Problem was, Bryce doubled the pace of it and sent it back - right at my ****-COO!

THE PAIN!

There is no way in hell that can be healthy.
After a good eight minutes rolling on the ground in pain, I decided to brace the elements and keep bowling. I finished with 0/40 off four.
Bryce thrilled the crowd with an entertaining innings of 107 (127) including 10 fours and one vicious straight drive :dry:
The rest of Atlanta, however, could not match this batting effort as they finished all out for 217 after 49. The last wicket fell when I hit the stumps directly with a throw from the deep, which contained all my anger and frustration from the day. Needless to say, it went pretty quickly.

We batted very well indeed, getting to 220 in 40 overs. Townsy (wanting a score of 70+, his aim for this tour :p ) got bowled by Bryce for 29, Ferd made a quick 63 before getting out to Adza, Chaulk made an even quicker 71 but then he got our driving on the up off Foxtrot. Oh yes, and Gray did the same, but off Bryce! All in all, it was a game that could have been easily mistaken as a Development League game, as the CW players dominated throughout. Besides me of course, but as always, I have a good excuse :)

So a good win for the fellaz, hopefully we can keep it up! My only question however, is what the problem is with my mate Rose after his 0/36 off six. He certainly didnt look very comfortable bowling...

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FC - New York vs Washington, Tuesday 16th October

Would like to start by laughing at me from three years ago...

After a very solid start to the season from New York, Washington came for a four-day encounter. The CricketWeb Players involved were Scott, Sharma, Gray, Rose and Myself for New York and Bennett, Weber, Hancock, Kerr and Sriram for Washington. We started as favourites, with vast amounts of experience from Lambert, Kambli and Baugh the key difference between the sides. Washington only had some bloke called Mark Waugh and a bunch of Canadians. I mean, bring it on.

Washington - 269/10 off 73 overs
Waugh 105 (170), Rose 5/96 (23), Patrick 2/26 (9), Gervais 2/34 (10)

Washington won the toss and elected to bat first on a decent looking deck. T'was a decision they immediately regretted. Bennett top-edged a pull off Rose which I pouched at fine-leg and he was gone for 1, I had some Canadian caught behind and then the bowled Rose, caught Patrick combo struck again, reducing the Wash-dogs to 23/3 and me to a sore finger, 'cause I'm soft. Opting not to bowl and instead whinging about my pinky, Rose decided he'd do all the work and gunned it with five. The tail was starting to wag, which was annoying, so I came back and clean-bowled Osinde, which was cool, and we were one-up on Canada. Somewhere in that, Waugh scored a ton, but the New York fans had made these awesome Waugh/War signs and we ignored his existence.

New York - 347/10 off 108 overs
Sharma 99 (221), Gray 98 (179), Kambli 34 (53), Bennett 3/15 (13), Sriram 2/67 (22), Canadians 4/163 (48)

We gunned it pretty well. A solid opening partnership by Clayton and Kambli was met with a good 29 from Scott and then excelled by Sharma and Gray, who put on 125 for the fourth-wicket. Both were unfortunate to get out in the nineties, Sharma fending a short-ball off Osinde into Waugh's hands in gully, and Gray tried to sweep Bennett fine, but mistimed it to Osinde at fine-leg. Bennett was clearly fired-up, cleaning up the tail, though I remained unbeaten on four. Sriram came back well, Hancock was steady but Tarique was pwned. A 75-run run lead for the good then.

Washington - 381/10 off 110 overs
Kerr 169* (236), Staple 44 (97), Gervais 3/60 (15), Patrick 3/66 (25), Rose 2/114 (32)

Quite simply, it was one of the best innings United States Domestic Cricket will ever get to see. Young Kerr was absolutely flawless against an attack containing two International-standard pacemen. He'll definately be a wanted man by CricketWeb Clubs come the new season, if only based on this innings alone. Just as Waugh had done first innings, Kerr single-handedly built the Washington innings as the team collapsed around him. My figures were flattered by batsmen hitting straight to fielders trying to up the pace, and Washington had set us a challenging target. Could Weber and Bennett make the most of a last-day track? New York needed 304 to win.

New York - 304/8 off 95 overs
Gray 76 (160), Scott 50 (61), Baugh 46 (89), Rose 43 (110), Wilkins 37* (64), Osinde 3/48 (12), Weber 2/46 (28), Maxwell 2/56 (14)

Time was never going to be an issue for New York, the runs were all that mattered. We fumbled to 65/3 early on, but Scott and Jamee got onto it in contrasting styles. With wickets from Osinde and Maxwell, we were still beyond that eight-ball at 184/5, but our lower order wasn't going to let this slip. Baugh and Rose were magnificently composed and Wilkins (37*) and I (10) made the final touches. The Wash bowlers were good, but just lacked the penetration and wicket-taking deliveries to make turn the match their way.

Rose and I were very happy in keeping with our pledge to contribute with bat, ball and throwing-catching shenanigans in every match. With all the Webheads making vital statements during the course of the match, New York can look ahead to future games with confidence. And how.