• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I personally believe the reason behind CW's lethargy in the field is Agarwal's 8 hour long practises after each day's play.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
steds said:
I personally believe the reason behind CW's lethargy in the field is Agarwal's 8 hour long practises after each day's play.
:huh: We don't practise till mid night.

Earlier, we were hardly giving time for practises. Now we are practising as much as top international teams and nothing excessive. So I don't see the reason for an outburst.

The only way to get better at fielding is by giving more time to it. For making things interesting, drills of various kinds have been introduced. If some one has any thing else which can be done to make the practises interesting, I am open for them.

However, reduction in time is not the way to go.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
:huh: We don't practise till mid night.

Earlier, we were hardly giving time for practises. Now we are practising as much as top international teams and nothing excessive. So I don't see the reason for an outburst.

The only way to get better at fielding is by giving more time to it. For making things interesting, drills of various kinds have been introduced. If some one has any thing else which can be done to make the practises interesting, I am open for them.

However, reduction in time is not the way to go.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
CW XI star speaks openly about exclusion: "I feel shunned"
The CW XI's very own David Kearsley caught up with Claude Makelele and spoke about issues from his exclusion from the ODI squad to the CW XI's chances at the World Cup.

Claude Makelele: I'll now be joined by CW Black test batsman David Kearsley, who's just returned from the CW XI's successful tour of Australia. Welcome, David. How was the tour?

David Kearsley: For me personally it was a 50/50 tour; nothing spectacular but a few knocks that helped the team along the way. As for the team, it was great. We managed to tie the series with some spectacular knocks from the skipper and some great bowling all round.

CM: So, David, on a more personal front, after virtually owning a spot in the CW XI one day team, you've been dropped for the one day series against Australia. Do you feel a little unfairly treated to have been shunned for this big tour?

DK: Certainly do. With the World Cup just around the corner and the team travelling along fairly nicely I feel shunned for sure. Not only to not be in the squad but it seems I have not even been considered with no space in the 'A' team to prove myself either.

CM: It must be disappointing, but you can't really begrudge any players who've been picked their spot. After all, in all fairness, you've struggled in recent times in the shorter form of the game. You can understand the selector's reasoning, surely?

DK: Yes I can, but I was not informed, nor warned that my form was bad enough to be dropped. I have no grudge against the people who took my spot. Rob Dauth deserves his spot in the team with an average of around 40 and has shown in the Development League that he is ready for the big stage.

CM: Dauth's inclusion was a brave one by the selectors, given his track record. Now, getting on to my next point, which you touched on briefly before. Your exclusion from the squad was an untimely one, with the World Cup the next stop for the ODI team. Does knowing this make it even worse?

DK: Of course it does. In my mind, I thought I was still in the selector's eyes, but I guess not all things go to plan.

CM: Of course. The lofty heights and gut-wrenching lows that are all too familiar for most cricketers. Now, another up-and-comer who missed out is your CW Black teammate Michael Wilson, who, just one season ago, was in the ODI team. He also missed out on the CW 'A' one day squad. What are your thoughts on Michael?

DK: To be honest, the all-rounders spot in the team is probably the hardest one to claim. With Liam Camps absolutely dominating the Dev Leage and Sean Fuller waiting in the wings, both being good mates at Blue makes it easier aswell. But for Mike, I think at the time he was the best around and I believe he is still up there, but I'm not a selector, merely a biased team mate.

CM: He definitely is a star. Moving on, what do you think of the XI's chances not only in Australia, but looking further ahead to the World Cup?

DK: In Australia it could be tough, with a few new faces it will take a good team effort to outplay the Aussies. As for the World Cup, I believe we are as good a chance as any nation to win. We have a good squad with depth and should make at least the Semi Final stage.

CM: I've no doubt many share those sentiments. Thanks for your time, and good luck with getting your spot back.

DK: Cheers mate!

Claude Makelele is an investigative journalist notorious for his hard-hitting, no-holds barred approach to his work.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wonder if some media people can get exclusives from cricketers and board members on the too much cricket issue talked about so much in the cricket world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Robertinho said:
DK: Yes I can, but I was not informed, nor warned that my form was bad enough to be dropped.
142 runs in 12 innings (10 complete), an average of 14.20, a top score of 30*. You need to be informed?

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
142 runs in 12 innings (10 complete), an average of 14.20, a top score of 30*. You need to be informed?
Seeing as though some of those innings where against England when we had those great starts and i always came in at number 6 or 7 and had to try and slog i think that is a bit unfair. Also as a youngster i thought more leeway would be givin.

Owell. Good Luck to Dauth and DeSilva.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nnanden said:
The Solution?
by Abhinav Shankar

The future. It can hold good, it can hold bad. For a side that is struggling, it can hold a key to success. The CWXI Test-side will certainly be hoping that the next-generation of pace bowlers can thrive upon the pressure of the international scene. So who are the members of this ‘next-generation’?

NA Borcich
44 wickets @ 24.02
Inexperienced paceman of just one season. Holds an immaculate line and length, but can tend to stray in pressure situations. A bright prospect indeed.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Funny man, fellow Croat. Good luck to him.”

AAA Collins
148 wickets @ 27.23
Extremely accurate left-arm medium pacer, with an economy of around two runs-per-over. Medium pacers never seem to get a chance in the big-time. Perhaps it`s time things start to change.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “I bowled alongside Adam when playing for the Blues. He won`t let you down.”

BC Cunningham
100 wickets @ 22.64
This man is most likely to soon break into the International side. Perhaps a question about his dedication to the game, but apart from that, looks the goods. Should grab many a wicket during the next few seasons.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “I see Bryce as the most promising of these players. Self-confidence is the key.”

TJ Demeza
74 wickets @ 28.08
The key thing about this man is his strike-rate. A stand-out figure of 47.4. Unmatched in this statistic, and more importantly, his pace, “...wickets will come while the body be able”.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Amazing young sensation. Another player I was glad to play with, a positive bloke.”

NS Hoy
192 wickets @ 21.92
The stand-out bowler from last season. Nagging length and teasing slower ball, Hoy has a fantastic domestic record. After a rough start for the CWXI, one hopes he will develop into a match-winner for his country.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Should settle into the playing XI nicely.”

MW Wilson
88 wickets @ 25.25
Dubbed ‘The Chosen One’. A potential game-breaker with the ball and more than handy with the bat, he will always be around the game`s best.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Might be injury-prone with his bowling action. Should look to senior players to reach his potential.”

Look out for these players – coming to a ground near you!
Smart guy that Abhinav Shankar. Smart guy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Under 19 Selector Stands Ground

By Henry Hentschell

Recent criticism of Jack McNamara, the latest appointment to the CricketWeb Land Under 19 Selection Committee, has been rather scathing after there were accusations of him not doing enough to promote the Under 19 cricketers from the domestic side in which he was involved in.

After the CW U/19s were victorious against the touring England "A" side, many pointed to the leadership of Steven Burke as a primary reason for the success. However, come the next match where the CW Colts were to take on the tourists, and Burke found himself being marshalled by Arunava Das. Eyebrows were raised. Insults thrown. Yet McNamara still stands by his decision.

"Unfortunately, at the time, my fellow selectors were absent - Wright had to attend the birth of his younger brother, Towns was speaking at a Goffmouth Poetry convention, while Hancock, for all I know, was busy doing as his name suggests. As such, the selection of the side was entrusted to me for this touring game, and I believe Das was the best candidate."

"If you look at the bare facts, Burkey has only managed to create a regular position for himself in either form in the last third of the season. Das has been arguably our best OD player throughout our club's existence. Das has a wise head - and while we'll be helping to ensure that Burke's leadership abilities are further developed, you can count on one hand the number of domestic sides world wide that are captained by an U/19 player."

McNamara also came under fire for not selecting James Maltus-Howell, despite him being 12th man for the U/19 match. Arguments about a conflict of interest have since been thrown at McNamara - his prior involvement as a player in the U/19s, coupled with his selection duties with the Colts and U/19s has seen him tagged as "Juxtaposition Jack". Despite arguing that the name doesn't make sense, it still seems to follow him like a bad smell.

"Look, to be honest, James had a great debut season, he set himself up well to really kick on in Season X. However, he ended up averaging no higher than 22 in either form of the game, and with the size of the Colts' squad this year, if you didn't grasp your opportunity, then there were others that we had to try to give a chance."

Surely, though, this is the sort of game that you experiment with the side and give opportunities to those who may not usually get one? "As a club, we performed very poorly in the OD competition this season, and as such we came out to find the right combination for next season - our batting was reasonable last season, it was our bowling that was the problem. So we kept the nucleus of our batting order for this game against England 'A'."

"And, look, anyone who has had anything to do with the Colts will tell you that I'm nothing short of honest when it comes to selection and assessment of the performance of our players."

A very defensive McNamara then cut the interview short, as he went into his office to scour the stats as the U/19 Europe Tour approaches.