• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Media Release
Richard Dickinson, CW XI Coach, February 1st, 2005
In response to this recent comment in The CW Weekly Times
From an interview with Neil Pickup
We have a coach? Sorry, I hadn't noticed. Whilst the CWBCC must be applauded for taking the initiative, questions must be asked about the fact that the coach's net contribution has been getting us to fill out an essay and nowt else. I'm yet to see any results from Dickinson's coaching on the field and as such I'm concerned that such absences will have a damaging effect on the direction of the side.
I would like to make this simple statement:
Yes, it is true I have not been around as much as would be ideal in the last week, due principally to a condition which may at first appear quite comical yet having received medical guidance I have been assured holds genuine long-term health-risks.
I am as disappointed as anyone at the games to date in The VB Series, and I have the utmost faith in the players' ability to turn it around.
I am disappointed in the criticism levelled at me by Mr. Pickup; I do not deny that he has a valid point, however, and I can assure anyone who may doubt my commitment to the role that their concerns are entirely unfounded.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We seemed to do OK before we even had a coach, reaching the World Cup final and all.

Now we don't seem to be able to win a game...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be interested to hear what you believe may have been the link between the presence of a coach and the downturn in performances.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd be interested as to what use a coach has?

Because considering it's a sim with the stats already set it looks like a complete waste of time to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is Liam's choice - he is the one who feels the neccessity for the role.
I am not one to turn down a role that is offered me.
If Liam feels the neccesity for the role, he is the one you need to take it out with.
I still see no reason a coach can possibly have a negative effect. No positive effect - you've made your point, as I say, Liam is the one you need to speak to. Negative effect? I'd like to see the evidence for that.
Incidentally, it seemed to make a difference when I suggested no-balls should be cut-down on - something Liam made a point of indicating.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I'd be interested as to what use a coach has?

Because considering it's a sim with the stats already set it looks like a complete waste of time to me.
Perhaps because we want this sim to be as realistic as possible, and having a coach all adds to that experience.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I still don't see what difference it makes?

There's no improvement in stats from this coach is there?

And AFAIK there's no change in the selection panel (seeing as I believe that would be going against that which has been previously agreed), so what exactly does he do?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But at least contracts give an idea of those close to the International side.

Appointing a coach that adds nothing to the side (except giving people a stupidly long questionnaire) then the coach goes AWOL for weeks is nothing short of a farce IMO.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
are these people under threat of being suspended like I was???

And I'll join up with Marc and Neil to really question the validity and point of employing a coach. It's just a waste of expense!!! Richard should play before he get's the honour of coaching a side.... then he'd have all the respect of the players.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
he's one example... the majority have had some cricket playing experience... even if it's at grade cricket level... It's a prestigious job... possibly the most craved in CW by some, and some guy got to walk in there... I'm all for a coach don't get me wrong... but i'd like to see richard put the pads on and come through the system like all of us...