Page 22 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Good stuff Mr. P. I look forward to it.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Daily Blast

MØRK: SCORE RUNS OR GET OUT
    by Kwase Knight

In a candid interview following Yorkshire's loss to Middlesex at Headingley, veteran opening batsman and wicketkeeper Håkon Mørk spoke as to the Test match fortunes of the Cricket Web XI. This lead in turn comments about skipper Brendon Goff, amidst murmurs of uncertainty regarding his place in the Test side.

"It is dangerous for any team to carry a player who brings little in any of the three important departments of cricket - let alone a team who struggles to win Test series," stated the Norwegian right-hander.

The clear insinuation was that Goff was not quite worthy of his Test match place, as a player ahead of any captaincy considerations. This is quite understandable, however, considering Goff's average of 27.13 in Test matches as captain. Some would suggest this to have some correlation with his captaincy record of 2 wins, 7 losses and 3 draws. These losses include a humiliating 5-wicket defeat at the hands of Bangladesh, the minnow nation's maiden Test match victory.

Commenting also on the issue was leading Cricket Web batsman, Andrew Cloete. He stated to the Australian chapter of the Daily Blast, "Brendon is a top captain and I enjoy playing under him. However our test results are utterly disappointing. It seems that every new player coming through the CWXI ranks only performs in pyjama cricket. Blewy is a perfect example of this, he is, in my mind, far and away the best ODI batsman the world has ever seen. Unfortunately, he's a substandard Test batsman. We need experienced and quality Test players to lead from the front. Unfortunately Blewy seems to be helping to weigh down an already underperforming team."

To Goff's credit, the CW XI One Day International side has been a force under his leadership, winning 28 of 35 limited overs matches. His methods of leadership, demanding discipline and commitment, have been more effective in the bustle of 50 overs. Whether he will be able to make the switch to the longer form soon could make or break Goff's Test match career. A lot of pressure even for the strongest of men. Will he be able to cope with it and rise above? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 10-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Let your batting do the talking Blewy!

...and of course if that doesnt work - start killing people
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Let your batting do the talking Blewy!
    Errm...the article is here because his bat doesn't want to talk.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Nixonstown Inquirer

CWBCC BRING IN NEW FACE TO SUPPORT UNDER-FIRE GOFF
    Aaron Cullen, Twybridge

The increasing speculation over the future of the CricketWeb XI's Test match captain seems set to take another turn tomorrow, according to a report leaked to the Inquirer by an unnamed source.

Brendon Goff, whose tenure as skipper has led to ODI success but little return from the Test arena both for himself and his side - who have won just 6 of their 38 matches, is set to be joined at the top table of the national side by a non-playing coach in an attempt to breathe new life into the flagging fortunes of the team.

The brown envelope stuffed under my hotel room door this morning suggests the new appointment will have wide-ranging roles including input onto the selection panel and the right to determine tactics from aggression, batting and bowling orders to composition and approach of the side as well as producing regular reports on the XI's strengths and manifold weaknesses as well as individual work with players.

It's also rumoured that the new appointment will take a very hard line on some of the team members' "extra-curricular" activities. All-rounder Liam Camps' sponsorship deal with Rizla could be one of the first casualties of the new régime. Sources indicate the new man will come from the Ray Jennings school of 'hard knocks' thinking, with names such as ex-CWXI seamers Eddie Sanders and Corey Taylor in the mix alongside Richard Dickinson, Tom Cowans and Dale Brumby. Several local bookmakers are also marking recently retired Guy Kerridge down as a possibility, with others suggesting veteran CW campaigners Peter Young, Simon Fitzsimmons and Andrew Garven as outside shots.

The Board are likely to act shortly to avoid speculation getting out of hand, with the contract likely to run for the VB Series and following tour of South Africa.

Latest Odds from SportBet.cw
    3.50 Corey Taylor
    4.50 Eddie Sanders
    6.00 Richard Dickinson
    9.00 Guy Kerridge
    13.00 Peter Young
    19.00 Tom Cowans
    26.00 Simon Fitzsimmons
    41.00 Dale Brumby
    67.00 Andrew Garven

a.r.cullen@nti.cw
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Ouch. Those are stinging comments there by Cloete considering Goff is away for two weeks for his marraige and honeymoon. Would be interesting if Cloete would be so vocal if Goff was around.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Looks to me like it was a bit of self-promotion.

Surely he hasn't forgotten the way he lost the respect of the XI when he had his brief stint as VC?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    67.00 Andrew Garven

pretty stoked about those odds

having played fair bit with blewy this season for Green i have to say that hes a top bloke to have around when your captaining a side, always loud in the field, a fantastic sledger, and always there if you need advice. his batting might be down abit in test cricket but the leadership qualities make up for it.

i would suggest it more likley the side is losing is because cloete keeps trying to take over and do everything and distracts the other players.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Looks to me like it was a bit of self-promotion.

Surely he hasn't forgotten the way he lost the respect of the XI when he had his brief stint as VC?
    lol.. hakon said it as well marc. And you've said it to me a few times and neil has also said it. Goffy is the weakest batsman in a team that can never win. Don't act to be the innocent one here

I am not ineterested in captaincy one bit. I regret what I said, but I accept the punishment for it. If Bley was around I would have said it, but I was asked by Liam who was the one doing the article at this particular time to say something for or against.

If I was offered captaincy, by some slim chance, I woudl turn it down. Obviously the whole team NEEDS to be 100% behidn teh captain. Which wouldn't be the case with me, and is not the case with Blewy.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

the whole team should get behind whomever the chose captain is

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    the whole team should get behind whomever the chose captain is
    Yes... and I am. No, I was. It's just demorilising when you can never manage to win a game and teh captain isn't exactly doing alot to help the cause in terms of run scoring.

Kwase: Liam? Who eez zees Liam?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I guess it beats the captain saying "not my fault if you're all crap", though

*retreats to a safe distance*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I guess it beats the captain saying "not my fault if you're all crap", though

*retreats to a safe distance*
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    Yes... and I am. No, I was. It's just demorilising when you can never manage to win a game and teh captain isn't exactly doing alot to help the cause in terms of run scoring.
    1 player cant be bringing down a whole team.

Thread Information