Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mullet Goes West

International Debutant AUST_HiTMaN's Avatar
    Monday 15th November 2004
    5th Entry

First 1D game of the season happened to be a Day Nighter @ the WACA verse Tasmania. This gives me a chance to face Kyle Wright, my fellow Reds bowler again. Chosing the XI Was a tough call, after the unfortunate injury to Luke Ronchi, meant Ryan Campbell had to take the gloves. David Edgar the team physio says the injury should only be a minor one at this stage, lasting 1-2 weeks, but nothing is confirmed 100%. Ervine came in for his first game of the season, and I decided to go with Brad Hogg and Sudeep Popat on the WACA pitch, to battle it out for who gets top spot.

Tassie won the toss and decided to have a bowl, Scotty Meuleman and Marcus Noth headed out to face Kyle Wright and Luke butterworth (insert laughter here). Both failed dismally, we were 2/6 with young bloke Adam Voges and the vice captain Mike Hussey at the crease, the 2 put on 101 for the 3rd wicket, before Hussey tryed tonking away at one and played on for 41. Murray Goodwin came to the crease to join Adam Voges, but just after Voges reached his half century he was caught by DiVenuto and out for 54. Enter the CricketWeb Head of Sudeep Popat. To Popat's credit he did put on 44 with Murray Goodwin, but he never looked settled, he ended up getting hit on the pads trying to leg glance one from middle. Pretty pathetic shot if you ask me. From there a few wickets fell and Ervine came to finish some business with the Tasmanian bowlers, hitting 24* from 21.

6/213 from 50 overs, not good enough im afraid. 213 will never be a competitive total on this pitch. However we got an early breakthrough, with myslef taking out Michael Dighton and Michael DiVenuto for 10 and 2. Ervine was bowling well, keeping it nice and tight, and picked up the wicket of dangerman David Dawson for Tassie, however all the hard work early on was shattered when a man called Michael Bevan strode to the crease, he scored an unbeaten 97 leading his team to a 3 wicket victory, with 3 and a bit overs remaining. Pretty dissapointing loss really.

In the much anticipated battle between Hoggy and Popat, Hogg was judged the winner with his 1/44, compared to Popat's 0/28. Popat was shattered, and told me after the game he wanted to have a big game for Ronchi, but he just didn't have it in him, and was too worried about how Ronchi was doing in Royal Perth Hospital.

I was extremely happy with my 3/45, my game is coming on nicely I feel.

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Tasmania - 1D)
    5 Points - AC Voges
    4 Points - MEK Hussey
    3 Points - DJ Watt
    2 Points - SM Ervine
    1 Point - KM Harvey

Overall Standings
    8 Points - Dave Watt, Michael Hussey
    5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges
    4 Points - Peter Worthington
    3 Points - Brad Hogg, Shaun Marsh
    2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat, Sean Ervine
    1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates, Kade Harvey
    Last edited by AUST_HiTMaN; 15-11-2004 at 12:22 AM.
    eep.

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    A very nice Diary Dave, keep it up (especially the rivalry between you and Sudeep )
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Wednesday 17th November 2004
    6th Entry

Our second ING Cup match was one of the longest and hardest trips in Australian domestic cricket. Facing Queensland, at the Gabba. The trek over there was pretty much uneventful, apart from a few drunken louts at the front of the plane. Sudeep read another PG Wodehouse book, I had a bit of a snooze, as did many of our team mates. All in all it was a boring trip across the boring patch of sand between Perth and Brissie.

Onto the game. I lost the toss on a beautiful wicket, and naturally Queensland decided to have a bat. Jimmy Maher fell for 1, and was bowled by a fantastic ball from Sean Ervine. Love and fellow CW player Andy Cloete put on 50 odd before Love fell for 31 from a peach of a delivery by myself. Cloete hung around, putting on 43 with Clint Perren before Perren was caught behing from the bowling of Kade Harvey. Dangerman Andy Symonds was dismissed without troubling the scorers, run out from a lovely underarm flick from Scotty Meuleman. Cloete fell just short of his 50, Caught and bowled by Popat for 49. This was Popat's first ING Cup wicket, and he celebrated accordingly. Hopes and Bichel didnt stay for very long, both being dismissed for 2 and 15. A last ditch stand between new bulls recruit Shane Watson and the keeper Wade Seccombe saw them to 8/218. The tail had a bit of a slog moving them to 9/242 from their 50 overs. A pretty dissapointing effort given the pitch conditions. Noteable bowling figures: Myself 3/48, Ervine 2/57, Popat 1/50.

I had been talking to Scotty Meuleman on the flight across and he was expressing his feelings about playing poorly in his recent few games, he put it down to Popat and co calling him Fuelman, with his history of Arson he really was getting down. I let Popat know the way Scott was feeling, and the Fuelman nickname was dumped. Consequently Scotty had his head up and a bit of confidence behind him as he went on to score 95 from 83 balls. Him and the vice captain Hussey, had an amazing partnership of 134 from 126 balls, which, by the time Meuleman fell, took us to 2/189. Late entry Shaun Marsh joined Hussey at the crease and scored a solid 15. While Hussey ended up edging one behind for 91. That brought Popat to the crease, who hit a lovely 2* from 3 balls, and combined with Goodwin, finished off the match for us with 11 overs to spare. Great performance from our lads going at a RR of 6.23.

After the match we recieved some mixed news. Luke Ronchi and Adam Voges have both recovered from their injuries, and should be back in the side for the next match against Victoria. Peter Worthington has showed no signs of improvement from his Ankle injury and will most likely miss the match at this stage. Also on other news Chris Rogers and Ben Edmondson are slowly making progress and should be back in the starting XI within a couple of weeks.

The news about Ronchi delighted Sudeep and the team, Things are looking up for us. (But not for Sudeep's game!)

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Queensland - 1D)
    5 Points - SW Meuleman
    4 Points - MEK Hussey
    3 Points - DJ Watt
    2 Points - SM Ervine
    1 Point - MJ North

Overall Standings
    12 Points - Michael Hussey
    11 Points - Dave Watt
    5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges, Scott Meuleman
    4 Points - Peter Worthington, Sean Ervine
    3 Points - Brad Hogg, Shaun Marsh
    2 Points - Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
    1 Point - Luke Ronchi, Darren Wates, Kade Harvey, Marcus North

With Popat yet to haul a vote in that game, things arn't looking good for him at this stage, However he was aided by his rival, Brad Hogg, not scoring a vote in that match aswell. Interesting next couple of games ahead for Popat and his future at the WACA.
    Last edited by AUST_HiTMaN; 17-11-2004 at 05:33 AM.

Where art thou?

Don't tell me you've been picked up by the constabulary again!
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Sunday 21st November 2004
    7th Entry

Well long time no see. I have been extremely focussed on my cricket recently and had to do some behind the scenes work with the cricket authorities in T&T. With the sacking of DJellett, the whole saga about me leaving was fired up again. They just can't let go it seems.

Couple of recent games, mixed performances from the boys. Recent loss against QLD in the 1 dayer was a bit hard to take for us. Our bowling really let us down, letting them score 337 from 50 overs. Pick of the bowlers was myself, with 2/56 and Popat with 1/34 - The CW stars begin to find some form! With the bat Scotty Meuleman started to hit some form, hitting a run-a-ball 95 including 10 fours and 2 sixes. Hussey was another one to shine, he got another century, hitting 102 from 104. However other then these 2, there was little support to be offered. North, Voges and Goodwin only got starts. Leaving Popat and Worthington at the end with 14* and 1*. Still despite the 2 big knocks we fell 47 runs short @ 5/290. Still a respectable total on any other day.

Next up we head to Melbourne for a FC game against Victoria. I hear Popat will be eager to take on his fellow CW mate, Sangers, who has been contracted out to Victoria. Here's to hope Popat finds some form with the ball!

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Queensland - 1D)
    5 Points - MEK Hussey
    4 Points - SW Meuleman
    3 Points - DJ Watt
    2 Points - SC Popat
    1 Point - MW Goodwin

Retravision Player Points (Game vs QLD - 4D)
    5 Points - MJ North
    4 Points - DJ Watt
    3 Points - MEK Hussey
    2 Points - SE Marsh
    1 Point - DJ Wates

Retravision Player Points (Game vs Vic - 1D)
    5 Points - KM Harvey
    4 Points - DJ Watt
    3 Points - MW Goodwin
    2 Points - SC Popat
    1 Point - GB Hogg

Overall Standings
    22 Points - Dave Watt
    20 Points - Michael Hussey
    9 Points - Scott Meuleman
    6 Points - Marcus North, Kade Harvey, Murray Goodwin, Sudeep Popat
    5 Points - Adam Gilchrist, Adam Voges, Shaun Marsh
    4 Points - Peter Worthington, Sean Ervine, Brad Hogg
    2 Points - Darren Wates
    1 Point - Luke Ronchi

After a little catching up to do on the Points Tally, it is now up to date. Popat has now moved above his spin rival in Brad Hogg and has pretty much secured a place in the starting XI for all games at the WACA as the sole spinner. The race at the top is getting close, time shall tell who cracks first, the captain, or the vice captain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information