• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****NZ condolences thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
Absolutely gutted about the result of the World Cup cricket final. Don’t know if I’ll ever get over it. Everything that could go against us did and we still didn’t lose the match. Not as if we are a cricketing powerhouse that can continually churn out great teams like the All Blacks.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Only four years until you find yourselves in yet another semi-final. For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind India losing to you guys once again, at whichever pivotal stage of the tournament.

I won't be watching highlights or any video footage of this match in the foreseeable future despite not being personally invested in it. It's funny because as a neutral I've replayed the '99 semi-final endlessly but something about this game feels too tragic and precious to be subjected to repeat viewings.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My comisserations to the NZ team.

Played so well, so close ,yet so far. I can feel the pain even being neutral, must be awful for the team and the fans. Good luck for next time.

smash84

The Tiger King
Curious to know but is cricket the second most popular sport in NZ after rugby? Or much lower down the order?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Especially amongst younger people, cricket is probably 4th behind rugby, basketball and soccer.
Agree with this on a viewership basis, though I'd also mention league, still roughly on par with soccer IIRC.

Cricket probably does get more interest around World Cups than the others though (besides football).

By participation at secondary school:

Netball - 27,139
Basketball - 26,481
Rugby Union - 25,317
Football - 23,513
Volleyball - 17,466
Hockey - 14,145
Touch Rugby - 12,187
Athletics - 11,301
Badminton - 10,793
Cricket - 9,500

Cricket is the 4th most popular boys sport though (Rugby > Basketball > Football > Cricket)

Days of Grace

International Captain
I was pleased to read that Guptill and co had a mini party afterwards for being part of a great game. Much better human beings than I am.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I was on nz websites and it seems cricket is quite mainstream possibly just below rugby maybe it was because of world cup but from what I read it seemed people would take more pride in a cricket world cup win then say netball

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Agree with this on a viewership basis, though I'd also mention league, still roughly on par with soccer IIRC.

Cricket probably does get more interest around World Cups than the others though (besides football).

By participation at secondary school:

Netball - 27,139
Basketball - 26,481
Rugby Union - 25,317
Football - 23,513
Volleyball - 17,466
Hockey - 14,145
Touch Rugby - 12,187
Athletics - 11,301
Badminton - 10,793
Cricket - 9,500

Cricket is the 4th most popular boys sport though (Rugby > Basketball > Football > Cricket)
Big game today.

England v New Zealand in the Netball World Cup semi-final.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was on nz websites and it seems cricket is quite mainstream possibly just below rugby maybe it was because of world cup but from what I read it seemed people would take more pride in a cricket world cup win then say netball
Yeah it's still easily the summer sport and second after rugby.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apart from at America's Cup time, when everyone suddenly and inexplicably loves sailing.