• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England fans celebration thread

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I can't quite shake off the feeling the win has a bit of a valedictory air about it.

Archer is the only first XI regular under 28, Bayliss is definitely off, Morgan will be 36 by the next tournament and, as the injury to Roy showed, there's a vertiginous drop in quality outside the playing team.

Happy we got over the line, but, maybe it's my ingrained pessimism, this feels more like a swansong than an inauguration. It was now or never.
We certainly had to win this one, doubt we are anywhere close to favourites next time around.
Little bit negative... 4 years ago the Eng LO team was treated as a laughing stock, now after some brave decisions and total overall of the game Eng have won a WC. No reason not to think that continues provided attitude is the same.

Flem274*

123/5
just popping in to say congratulations. england staked a lot emotionally on winning this and managed to get there. as the cliche goes, it doesn't matter how stylish you look doing it, just do it.

Jezroy

State Captain
I’m so glad England did it for Amirfan.

I’m also glad I wasn’t like that angry drunk uncle who comes to the nice party where everyone’s having a good time, and says how much they hate everyone. Then gets kicked out.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations England. You were definitely the best ODI team in last 4 years. Favourites. Champions.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
I finally got a few hours sleep after having to pull 2 all nighters in a row.

I just woke up. It wasn't a dream.

ENGLAND ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!
???

♥???♥

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I can't quite shake off the feeling the win has a bit of a valedictory air about it.

Archer is the only first XI regular under 28, Bayliss is definitely off, Morgan will be 36 by the next tournament and, as the injury to Roy showed, there's a vertiginous drop in quality outside the playing team.

Happy we got over the line, but, maybe it's my ingrained pessimism, this feels more like a swansong than an inauguration. It was now or never.
Personally I'm quite optimistic. Most of the batsman should still be around. Bairstow (age 33 in 2023), Buttler(32), Root(32), Roy(32), Stokes(31), Hales(34). Fielding will slightly drop off with the increased ages but they are pretty fit. Fitness and skill might drop in some but that's still a quality group of players to bank upon come 2023.

Guys like Joe Clarke, Tom Banton, Harry Brook, Ollie Pope, James Bracey have had promising starts to their careers and will hopefully be pushing for spots too.

There's a dropoff from the current crop of batsman but that's because they are world class. Let's face it Vince wouldn't have even been in the squad were it not for Hales drug ban, and Billings injury. Guys like Roy and Hales have benefited from having 4 years in the side and developing their game, Vince didn't really have that opportunity. After 13 ODIS Hales and Roy had plenty of question marks over their ability. Not saying Vince will ever be good or get back in the team - just that some of the criticism for his performances in the WC were over the top imo.

Bowling would be more up in the air and see more flux. Woakes and Wood unlikely to make it, Plunkett will be gone. Saying that they still have reasonable young guys in the Currans(ages 28 and 25 in 2023), Mahmood(26), Archer(27), Stone(29) who should be around their peak by the time that world cup comes around.

Spin bowling looks the weakest area with Rashid and Ali ageing and little coming through right now in county cricket and with 50 over cricket pushed to the sides in county cricket from next year.

With the tournament happening in India obviously spin will play a large part so that is the biggest area of concern, and England certainly won't be favourites, but imo they will be contendors in 2023.

2019 definitely was their best chance though. You only have to look down the age demographic of the squad to see that most of the squad are in their peak performance years.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
I went to bed at half time thinking NZ's score might just be enough on the pitch provided and, damn it, TJB might've been right after all about England being a batsman short. Waking up was to be confronted with a series of controversies, issues and an unbelievable finish which many described as the best game of LOI cricket ever played. Though i didn't see it you'd have to agree with that opinion and, fittingly, for the game that decided the championship. You'd have to wonder if any game to decide a world champion in any sport has been as good as this one. I doubt it. Congratulations on the show put up by both teams and the graceful way both reacted to the result. Hard luck Kiwis (you'll win the RWC) but most of all congratulations to England. They gambled pretty much all on winning this trophy and have got their reward.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Personally I'm quite optimistic. Most of the batsman should still be around. Bairstow (age 33 in 2023), Buttler(32), Root(32), Roy(32), Stokes(31), Hales(34). Fielding will slightly drop off with the increased ages but they are pretty fit. Fitness and skill might drop in some but that's still a quality group of players to bank upon come 2023.

Guys like Joe Clarke, Tom Banton, Harry Brook, Ollie Pope, James Bracey have had promising starts to their careers and will hopefully be pushing for spots too.

There's a dropoff from the current crop of batsman but that's because they are world class. Let's face it Vince wouldn't have even been in the squad were it not for Hales drug ban, and Billings injury. Guys like Roy and Hales have benefited from having 4 years in the side and developing their game, Vince didn't really have that opportunity. After 13 ODIS Hales and Roy had plenty of question marks over their ability. Not saying Vince will ever be good or get back in the team - just that some of the criticism for his performances in the WC were over the top imo.

Bowling would be more up in the air and see more flux. Woakes and Wood unlikely to make it, Plunkett will be gone. Saying that they still have reasonable young guys in the Currans(ages 28 and 25 in 2023), Mahmood(26), Archer(27), Stone(29) who should be around their peak by the time that world cup comes around.

Spin bowling looks the weakest area with Rashid and Ali ageing and little coming through right now in county cricket and with 50 over cricket pushed to the sides in county cricket from next year.

With the tournament happening in India obviously spin will play a large part so that is the biggest area of concern, and England certainly won't be favourites, but imo they will be contendors in 2023.

2019 definitely was their best chance though. You only have to look down the age demographic of the squad to see that most of the squad are in their peak performance years.
Reckon Matt Parkinson might be a good bet to be in the 2023 (though it's obviously far away) Can't really think of any other up and coming spinner for England though

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Has anyone else spent most of the day watching highlights of the game and fan reactions from homes, pubs and outdoor fan zones? ?????

cnerd123

likes this
Has anyone else spent most of the day watching highlights of the game and fan reactions from homes, pubs and outdoor fan zones? ����������
I've spent most of today trying to catch up on this match thread

wrongun

Banned
I can't even look at cricket for a while. Next stop, first ball of Ashes.
This is how I feel too but then there is the Canadian T20's that start right before that with KW, Boult, etc. Definitely going to be catching a couple of games.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
I watched some highlights , I'm intending to revisit the final commentary later . I hope they release a match DVD ...but that's a long shot these days .

Today I just watched a bit of Durham v Worcestershire ...because I was feeling a bit disloyal ...barely looked at the County game beyond the scores for weeks.

I took a bit of a break from the game anyway earlier this year .

I want to see that Trophy on the balcony at Edgbaston when the Test starts . I have a feeling it might go on a victory tour to all the grounds . They had load of kids touching the Trophy today (prolly a replica ;) ) with the England Team at the Oval . I can see an opentop golfcart parade becoming an ECB thing for the Ashes :D .

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Couple of cracking reactions to the cricket.

https://twitter.com/aldavies23/status/1150475927715045378 Lancs players with bonus Glenn Maxwell reaction to the otherthrows. All the English urging the ball to reach the rope, Maxwell in disbelief.
https://twitter.com/lancscricket/status/1150507065032544256 Lancs players again celebrating the victory with Maxwell leaving.

https://youtu.be/QVncf8q9Hlo?t=1793 excellent youtube channel from Sanderstead CC. Lots of great content covering a wide range of amateur cricket. All gathered around a car listening to the final few deliveries, because the ground they are playing at doesn't have a tv. Starts around the 30 minute mark.

Last edited:

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Couple of cracking reactions to the cricket.

https://twitter.com/aldavies23/status/1150475927715045378 Lancs players with bonus Glenn Maxwell reaction to the otherthrows. All the English urging the ball to reach the rope, Maxwell in disbelief.
https://twitter.com/lancscricket/status/1150507065032544256 Lancs players again celebrating the victory with Maxwell leaving.

https://youtu.be/QVncf8q9Hlo?t=1793 excellent youtube channel from Sanderstead CC. Lots of great content covering a wide range of amateur cricket. All gathered around a car listening to the final few deliveries, because the ground they are playing at doesn't have a tv. Starts around the 30 minute mark.
Can't see the first one. But the 2nd link is class.
I hope No Show is gonna get that disappointment out of his system in time for the T20 Blast (assuming he doesn't get called up for The Ashes).

cnerd123

likes this
I watched some highlights , I'm intending to revisit the final commentary later . I hope they release a match DVD ...but that's a long shot these days .

Today I just watched a bit of Durham v Worcestershire ...because I was feeling a bit disloyal ...barely looked at the County game beyond the scores for weeks.

I took a bit of a break from the game anyway earlier this year .

I want to see that Trophy on the balcony at Edgbaston when the Test starts . I have a feeling it might go on a victory tour to all the grounds . They had load of kids touching the Trophy today (prolly a replica ;) ) with the England Team at the Oval . I can see an opentop golfcart parade becoming an ECB thing for the Ashes :D .
You can hear how Howe_zat and I reacted over here :)

https://youtu.be/O0Khj7RWeTU

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
So today marks the 1 week anniversary of England's amazing and historic World Cup Final win.

What will you be doing to mark the occasion? ?