View Poll Results: Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 44.83%
  • Absolutely

16 55.17%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

State Captain
    This final lacked the individual brilliance from the 99 semi. Memorable performances from Pollock, Donald, Warne, Kallis, Waugh, Bevan, Rhodes, Klusener etc.

I don't think it was the greatest ODI ever. It of course was full of thrills but (1) skills at display were not at the level of Aus vs. SA 99 semi final, (2) overthrow, super over and most boundaries were a let down.

I think even the 434 v 438 was a greater game than this one.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

It suffered from not having Australia in it, basically.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    I don't think it was the greatest ODI ever. It of course was full of thrills but (1) skills at display were not at the level of Aus vs. SA 99 semi final, (2) overthrow, super over and most boundaries were a let down.

I think even the 434 v 438 was a greater game than this one.
    No! This is terrible. The 438 game was a JAMODI. This was a WC final. I'd rate it over the semi final in 99 (just). Probably not quite the same level of ATG players involved, but still it was the biggest game of all, and then you had not only the match tied, but the super over as well! It was set up for the ultimate finish, but of course the ICC had to go and **** us all over by not thinking there might be a need for more than one super over ffs.
    _Ed_ likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    you're all on drugs if you don't think this game was better than 99

you're all wanking on about quality play. how about that tight collar from the south africans gifting the game?

this odi was the epitome of the two best teams in the world going hammer and tongs at each other at almost full tilt. guptills form and englands opening spell being a tad short aside, i don't think anyone let their team down in this game.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricketer Of The Year
    It was a poor wicket and that put different skills on display. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    you're all on drugs if you don't think this game was better than 99

you're all wanking on about quality play. how about that tight collar from the south africans gifting the game?

this odi was the epitome of the two best teams in the world going hammer and tongs at each other at almost full tilt. guptills form and englands opening spell being a tad short aside, i don't think anyone let their team down in this game.
    haha...no.

I just re watched the extended highlights of 99 game and as a neutral it pips the last week Final for me.The NZ innings was quite boring to be honest and especially for last 10 overs the cricket was diabolical at times guys getting bowled of full tosses batsman ducking last ball of the innings some of the cricket was really terrible and you really wondered maybe this a sub standard wicket

On the other hand 99 SF first innings is really compelling viewing with some quality bowling (Pollock & Donald) and great recovery partnership Bevan-Waugh. And the ten over period when Warne turned the game on its head is far away better then what the final served in the first 95 overs off the game.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    yea look i cbf to go to war against nostalgia. this is no different to the **** posted about the 80s and 90s elsewhere.

This final was better IMO. Both sides were unrelenting and unwilling to give an inch. It was a lit fuse that you could see slowly moving towards the explosive.

The 99 final had the greater moments of individual brilliance and sea sawed more dramatically. It was a boxing match where both sides were landing heavy punches but refusing to get knocked out. Blood pouring from both players, jaws broken, the judges ultimately couldn't split the teams.

But this was a final and that was a semi final. This was more of a team effort and that was more of a gladiatorial effort. They were different games that both highlight what the ODI game can be, at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    yea look i cbf to go to war against nostalgia. this is no different to the **** posted about the 80s and 90s elsewhere.
    The man has a point, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    This final was better IMO. Both sides were unrelenting and unwilling to give an inch. It was a lit fuse that you could see slowly moving towards the explosive.

The 99 final had the greater moments of individual brilliance and sea sawed more dramatically. It was a boxing match where both sides were landing heavy punches but refusing to get knocked out. Blood pouring from both players, jaws broken, the judges ultimately couldn't split the teams.

But this was a final and that was a semi final. This was more of a team effort and that was more of a gladiatorial effort. They were different games that both highlight what the ODI game can be, at its best.
    Mate, I like a sporting cliche as much as anyone, but this is next level stuff.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    I mean, when I think back on notable ODIs, the ones that come to mind are this, the 2015 semi vs SA, and the one where Bevan hit a 4 off the last ball.

ODIs, when excellent, still get easily lost because there's so many that don't mean anything.\

Edit: and the 400 game vs SA
    Last edited by NZTailender; 24-07-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

New podcast up discussing the final. Enjoy!

https://insidetheboxcricket.podbean....-ii-the-final/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information