Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 44.83%
  • Absolutely

16 55.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Was the CWC Final 2019 the best ODI ever?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Stephen what would you expect from chimps?
    Probably more than what I'd expect from a channel 9 executive.
    sledger likes this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Indeed

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    I propose to celebrate this great world cup final and England's win we unban burgey
    Originally read that as unban blocky.

Admittedly that'd be amazing fun after today if we only give him a 48 hour pass
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

You know what, this poll just goes to show how much better ODI cricket is when scores are in the mid 200s than in the mid 300s. Other than the 434 game, the most memorable ODIs in the history of cricket have had scores in the mid 200s, with a delicate balance between bat and ball. Batsmen scoring in spite of good bowling, rather than because of poor bowling and flat decks.

Honestly this has been the best world cup and mostly because the balance between bat and ball has been the best it's been since the 90s. There hasn't been the dramatic escalation in scores that the 2015 world cup and the last 4 years of ODIs has seen.

It's been brilliant from a cricket purists point of view.

Now if only England could get a better timezone FFS.

This ODI is kinda of like ordering a beautiful cut of Steak from a international top quality, Michelin Star Steak house.

Everything is perfect but right at the very end they swap out the Steak for a slimy, wet piece of dog ****.
    :D :D New Zealand 2019 World Cup Champions :D :D

I'd still go for 1983 finals.

Real underdog story and more inspiring than Shaolin Soccer.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah it surpasses the 1999 semi final imo.

Sort of interesting in an unimportant coincidental way that both ended with clutch run outs.

State Captain
    Maybe just edges the 99 semi out. The main reason that game is so well thought of was was maximum drama on the big stage, but this game easily pips it in that regard. But waugh/warne/pollock added an extra touch-games with individual stand out performances always feel a bit better to me for some reason.

Tricky comparing it to the 438 game. It lacked the context, and has certainly lost some of its veneer with the bat domininated junk we have been seeing recently, but in isolation at the time it was probably a better game.

International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    For an English fan or a neutral, sure.

For a NZ fan, pretty much the worst ODI ever. I will turn away from any reference made to it in the future. How can I not?
    zorax likes this.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    For an English fan or a neutral, sure.

For a NZ fan, pretty much the worst ODI ever. I will turn away from any reference made to it in the future. How can I not?
    Still the greatest, even though we lost. It revealed so much about our character and ability.
    zorax likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    The ODI where Mathews and Malinga strung together a partnership in Australia to take down a chase...also Mahmudulllah-Shafiul partnership of 58 in the 2011 WC
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

State 12th Man
    I preferred the 434 game myself. This wasn't a high quality game as such even though it had the drama. No one has chased 400 since despite how much white ball cricket has changed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Not sure you could describe Mick Lewis' 10-0-113-0 as 'high quality'.
    zorax and NZTailender like this.

It's been a week and I have had time to reflect I think 99 semi was better as a game. This was like a gritty slow novel that build to a great edge of the seat climax.

But 99 SF was more like a great thriller with hair raising moments though the game. There were great performances throughout Pollack and Doanld sharing 9 wickets between them with some great new and old ball bowling. An all time great spell by Shane Warne, Kallis repair job and then the crazy finish with Klusner till the ultimate choke of the chokes just great stuff all through the game
    zorax and Bolo like this.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    It's been a week and I have had time to reflect I think 99 semi was better as a game. This was like a gritty slow novel that build to a great edge of the seat climax.

But 99 SF was more like a great thriller with hair raising moments though the game. There were great performances throughout Pollack and Doanld sharing 9 wickets between them with some great new and old ball bowling. An all time great spell by Shane Warne, Kallis repair job and then the crazy finish with Klusner till the ultimate choke of the chokes just great stuff all through the game
    This makes sense. 99 was so long ago that I think most of us mainly remember it because of how good the finish was. Felt like it would never be topped. This game has it beat comfortably though in that regard.

But it's not just about the finish. That game was pretty monumental all the way through. Not that this one was dull... just not quite as good, at least for the first innings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information