• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2023

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
things change quickly. find me the post where someone predicted steve smith would be an atg batsman before his test debut. when mitchell starc bowled short wide filth to chris martin in 2011 i never picked him to star in two world cups. find me a post where someone predicted lockie ferguson to star in a world cup before his odi debut.

australia will always be there or thereabouts in a world cup.
More people thought Nasir Jamshed will be an ATG in 2011 than they did Starc.

Groundking

International Debutant
Plunkett won't be there at the next one, Woakes will be 34 and has a history of injuries and I'd be surprised if Wood's body hasn't fallen apart by then so we're probably going to have to find a whole new bowling attack. The only concerns with the batting is Morgan but 36 isn't too old in ODI's and it's not like he plays any of the long stuff anymore so could still be good.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
With the explosion of franchise T20 , I aint ruling nobody out from 2023 .:) We've already had potbellied old codgers running in on one leg so anything is possible .

I don't think they've got the ODI rules quite right yet . I would prefer a more sporting ball or going back to one ball, or adopting a pink ball for ODI . I genuinely think the a high-viz ball is the future for limited overs cricket .

I hope that ODI will still be considered important in 2023 , ECB are withdrawing from supporting the 50 over domestic game so perhaps the writing is on the wall ? Its all down to the Indian market tastes I guess .

I would like New Improved England to carry on in a similar manner . Win or lose don't matter so much , if you can always compete . I think their bold approach has had 'proof of concept' already in this tournament . I can't say I'm not concerned by the 'blip' in the group stages (and the final) but it took us pretty far . The truly great sides don't get blindsided often. They'll need to work on that if they want to stay at the top level of the sport .

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Pak team for the next WC:

Opener
Imam
Babar
Harris
Middle Order Batsman
Imad
WK
Shadab
Amir
Afridi
Naseem Shah

We need to find a good opener, a good middle order batsman and a wicket keeper.

But with Pak, anything is possible. Could even have Malik back.

Isura

U19 Captain
Pak team for the next WC:

Opener
Imam
Babar
Harris
Middle Order Batsman
Imad
WK
Shadab
Amir
Afridi
Naseem Shah

We need to find a good opener, a good middle order batsman and a wicket keeper.

But with Pak, anything is possible. Could even have Malik back.
Hoping that Opener and MOB make good on their potential.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
50 over cricket clearly dying out. Best way to go would be cancel all further tournaments and leave England as perpetual holders.

Burgey

FMD it's in India. Will be a complete shambles with nuffie finger spinners who wouldn't get a bowl in a Chinese restaurant deciding the outcome of games.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FMD it's in India. Will be a complete shambles with nuffie finger spinners who wouldn't get a bowl in a Chinese restaurant deciding the outcome of games.
Yeah we literally just had one in India.

Annoyingly this is the way of the future, given the money in the game in the subcontinent.

Burgey

It’ll be awesome if/ when Pakistan and Afghanistan can host a WC. Can barely remember cricket in Pakistan and Afghanistan would be an awesome tour

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just checked and Aus/NZ had 23 years between hosting WC (1992 and 2015) while England/Wales just had 20 years (1999 and 2019). India last hosted in 2011 with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh so it should have been South Africa (2003) or West Indies (2007) time again. I guess BCCI does what it wants ;)

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Just checked and Aus/NZ had 23 years between hosting WC (1992 and 2015) while England/Wales just had 20 years (1999 and 2019). India last hosted in 2011 with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh so it should have been South Africa (2003) or West Indies (2007) time again. I guess BCCI does what it wants ;)
Can't imagine West Indies hosting anything as big as a World Cup anytime soon. Didn't the '07 edition almost bankrupt them? I know they had problems with their Chinese contractors. SA is probably not too far behind them.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I’m not too fussed about the pitches in India. The best team should win on all pitch types. If you can’t handle it then go home. We have had pitches where the quicks have thrived in England, now it’s time to face the spin challenge. I’m sure there will also be pitches that suit quicks in India as well. Just a different sort of challenge.

However, India should be favourites. I will be surprised if they don’t win it.

wrongun

Banned
I'd love to see another WC in West Indies but with a more people friendly approach. India/ Aus/ NZ are good too. India always has a electric vibe to games. Aus/NZ are just beautiful.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Theoretically all the 07 infrastructure should be there in the Caribbean still. Set up some flood lights and it'll all be good.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given that 2007 was a fiasco, and that the WI timeslot is a poor one for the Indian audience, I doubt we'll be seeing another World Cup there anytime soon. South Africa most likely to be the host for 2027 I would presume, and then wouldn't be surprised if that were followed by an exclusively Australian hosted World Cup in 2031.

Burgey

Fair to say Australia will go in as overwhelming favourites for the next WC.