• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
You have to give credit to the selectors for sticking with him as well. Just like there's always a tendency to seek out the relative comfort of your ex, even though it's well confirmed shes let herself go and is slightly mad, it would have been easy to go back to Southee too.
I think they did go back to Southee, didn't they? Against England. But Ferguson was injured so Henry got a stay of execution, and unsurprisingly out bowled Southee. They would have picked Southee in the first match as well but he was injured. For me, the selectors deserve no credit here. It's all Henry not giving the opportunity they were so desperate to take.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they did go back to Southee, didn't they? Against England. But Ferguson was injured so Henry got a stay of execution, and unsurprisingly out bowled Southee. They would have picked Southee in the first match as well but he was injured. For me, the selectors deserve no credit here. It's all Henry not giving the opportunity they were so desperate to take.
Oh yeah, my memory hasn't served me well. Howsie will be devastated I deviated from the disdain for our management

Woodster

International Captain
Roy should have been banned for just being a knob.

Why put your final in jeopardy when England are cruising to victory chasing a low total? Bat**** crazy stuff.
Taking emotion completely out of the situation at the time, I fully agree it was an unnecessary outburst, however, when you batted like he did during a World Cup semi-final against Australia and you’re own the way to leading the team home and bagging a three figure score into the equation, you must be able to understand his huge frustration to be given out. Also, the manner in which Dharmasena gave him out suggested a sense of him guessing and not being convinced Roy had actually got anything on it.

I was blowing my top sat on the couch at home despite it looking like we were almost home by that point.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only twice has the leading run scorer in s world cup been from the winning team. I think this stat illustrates the fact that batsmen win you games and bowlers win you tournaments. The final at Lord's is rightfully a match between the best batting lineup and the best bowling attack in the world. New Zealand's game to lose, barring an absolute road.

Jezroy

State Captain
Only twice has the leading run scorer in s world cup been from the winning team. I think this stat illustrates the fact that batsmen win you games and bowlers win you tournaments. The final at Lord's is rightfully a match between the best batting lineup and the best bowling attack in the world. New Zealand's game to lose, barring an absolute road.
Thing is yes England has a great batting line up, and New Zealand have a great bowling attack.

But when you look at their “weaker” suit, England’s bowing has improved while our batting... yeah.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
24 hours to go. I'm tempted to pull an all-nighter and sleep all day tomorrow so the body clock's in tip top shape come kick off.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
This is my dream final. Welly born and bred and live in England with an English wife, and a couple of cross breed bairns. 6yo daughter supports NZ, 8yo son; Eng. I hope NZ win but I actually win either way. Too good.

trundler

You guys are really underselling Dharmasena's ability to readjust the stumps after a runout.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kane is only 100 behind Rohit. Is it too greedy to expect a World Cup win AND leading run scorer?

Then Lockie just needs to get the first ever 10-fer in ODI history to go past Starc and we get the trifecta.

morgieb

I don't understand how Dharmasena hasn't been dumped from the Elite List yet. His overturn rate must be insane.

BeeGee

International Captain
Kane is only 100 behind Rohit. Is it too greedy to expect a World Cup win AND leading run scorer?

Then Lockie just needs to get the first ever 10-fer in ODI history to go past Starc and we get the trifecta.
Most runs/wickets is such a crap statistic though. Heavily affected by the number games a team plays and whether you bat or bowl first. Average and strike rate are far more meaningful stats.

Last edited:

trundler

Most runs/wickets is such a crap statistic though. Heavily affected by the number games a team plays and whether you bat or bowl first. Average and strike rate are the only meaningful stats.
Dhoni has a higher strike rate than Williamson at an average of 45.5 in this WC though.

OverratedSanity

The fact that Dhoni has escaped this world cup with such great statistics is complete vindicated cation for Spark for all his "odi stats are useless" posts.

BeeGee

International Captain
Dhoni has a higher strike rate than Williamson at an average of 45.5 in this WC though.
It's hard to tell if you're being obtuse or just generally dim. Williamson averages 91, a stat you deliberately omitted. A low strike rate is fine if your average is high enough. Dhoni's stats are good, but not great.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Just can't see England being beaten. They have weaknesses but they managed to overcome them in the nick of time and their last three matches have been exceptional - all against the three other best sides in the comp.

NZ played extremely smart in their semi in not trying to overextend themselves when batting and using their strengths and nous to defend it, but would be a check of an effort to pull this off.

trundler

The fact that Dhoni has escaped this world cup with such great statistics is complete vindicated cation for Spark for all his "odi stats are useless" posts.
That's the point I was making. Dhoni is completely flattered by his stats. SR and average can be misleading too.