• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

thundaboult

International Debutant
England are heavy favorites. But ;)

Contrary to the 15 final, this one on paper is a mismatch. New Zealand coming into this as underdogs.

Maybe its meant to be. Maybe its meant to go down that way.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
If NZ do win it will be kind of the reverse 1992. Start super strong then **** the bed in the last few matches and then win it against all odds against stronger sides on paper.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
The team overachieved to make the Final and am happy for that, but the thought of England winning a WC by beating us is troubling...

BSM

U19 Cricketer
It's actually quite ridiculous how alike Williamson and Root are as ODI batsmen. Right handed no.3s who generally go at a run a ball to hold the innings together. Both guide the ball a lot down to third man as well (though Kane probably does it a lot more). It's definitely a good matchup; there's not much between them in the format.

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
The result I was dreading and the worst possible result for me. I hope England can go all the way now. I will be in absolute ruins if NZ win this. England should play the same team. Hope Bairstow is alright. Just need to win the toss and put 250 on the board. Kiwis will choke.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
when we win i wonder if cricinfo will update the first paragraph in ross's bio for the first time in 11 years.

"Ross Taylor could be just what New Zealand need in the wake of the mass of departures from their batting line-up: an aggressive top-order batsman capable of taking up the challenge to world-class attacks."

i propose the following:

"ross the boss"

they've been more careful with the wording of kanes but i think it's been at least 3 years.
Noticed the other day that the first paragraph in Taylor's is a decade old and even the last paragraph only gets to him losing the captaincy. They update James Anderson's every six months.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
NZ will have to be unorthodox to counter this English batting. Open the bowling with Boult and have Santner on at the other end for at least a couple. Place some outrageously attacking fields during the opening salvos. Being somewhat limited in resources they will have to win on the tactical front. Not sure if KW has that nous though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As for the match, think England are quite a lot better and should win comfortably. Of course, it's sport so there's a decent chance they won't. But they should.

Frost

U19 Debutant
NZ will have to be unorthodox to counter this English batting. Open the bowling with Boult and have Santner on at the other end for at least a couple. Place some outrageously attacking fields during the opening salvos. Being somewhat limited in resources they will have to win on the tactical front. Not sure if KW has that nous though.
Kw is probably the best captain going around at the moment also the NZ resources are no more or less limited than England's

Days of Grace

International Captain
I’d say set some very attacking fields if England bat first. If the pitch is a road the only way to restrict them is to take wickets.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kw is probably the best captain going around at the moment also the NZ resources are no more or less limited than England's
Yeah, nah

agree with the sentiment from others that NZ will have to think out of the box. But if we get a bit in it for the bowlers and NZ are lucky enough (and good enough) to grab a few early poles England could capitulate. I think this game will be decided more or less by the first 10 overs of England's innings.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Was so impressed with our opening bowlers last night. With (hopefully) Rash looking better too I think Eng can hold there own if there is a bit in the wicket.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank **** New Zealand won one of the semis. Couldn't think of a worse possible final from my POV than England/India.

Hopefully NZ do a Pakistan 92 and roll the Poms.