• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be happy if we're always one of the contenders at World Cups. I don't expect to win it as often as Australia did in the past, but 1996 was the last time I went into the tournament believing we had the remotest chance - and even 96 was pretty remote.
I thought we had a chance in 1999. Home conditions and we'd beaten Aus and SA in the previous two years' home series.
OK, so that didn't turn out as planned, and obviously I learnt a lesson about being remotely optimistic about our chances in the future.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
So. Where to from here? Is this the culmination of a fine effort to build for the cup, and then we see a whitewash for England next cup, or is the first step on the way to an era of dominance in ODI cricket?
Don't think our batting should change much, though it will have aged by 2023. Bairstow, Roy, Butler, Stokes and Root will all be 32/33. None of them will be retired (or shouldn't be) but will probably be moving towards the end of their careers. Morgan could well still be there but might have retired (probably would have from the captaincy already)

The bowling could be the main concern. Going to need at least two spinners in India and can't see both Ali and Rashid making it who will be mid to late thirties by then. Not a lot of young spinners impressing in the limited overs stuff at the moment. Parkinson, Crane, Virdi etc I guess could all be in contention

Extremely early WC 2023 England XI prediction:

Jason Roy
Johnny Bairstow
Joe Root
Sam Hain/Tom Banton
Ben Stokes
Jos Butler
Woakes/Craig Overton
Joffra Archer
Matt Parkinson
Saqib Mahmood
Mason Crane

Already, bowling stocks look like a problem. Banton and Hain as of right now seem like the most promising up and coming batsmen for the one day stuff. Crane's FC career is pretty abysmal so far, but seems to be doing okay in the limited overs cricket.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeah has looked horrible in the highlights of the championship I've seen this year, but I understand that he is still doing decent in the one-day stuff.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's only fair that we let Triple H have the final word.

nr7x5fxs89b31.jpg

Yes, this is real.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting. I wonder if he only watched the final, starting watching near the KO stage or didn't watch at all and is just trying to brand build with Commonwealth nations

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Can I make a special request to James to close this sub-forum then accidentally press "delete" rather than "archive" on the whole goddamn thing?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So sad that this thread got less posts than the Indian semi final thread. I'm pretty sure it's about time to archive this forum though.