• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Are there any promising younger players who played in the U19s who could make the step up?

Whatever happened to Finn Allen?

Also, will the likes of Boult, Fergusan, Henry etc. be good enough next world cup? They'll be in their 30s and most fast bowlers don't seem to last at this level as long as batsmen (correct me if I'm wrong).
Nah, the current bunch will still be at the tailend of their prime. Ferguson will be the same age that Bond was in 2007. Boult as a swing bowler will age pretty well and he’s a fitness freak anyway.

slippy888

International Captain
Problem with using a tie breaker who scored most boundaries to win final if tie

New Zealand could argue they had less dot balls in innings than England and where look to play with attacking intent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has anyone actually confirmed this is the case?

Seems like a mathematical flaw to me to assume less boundaries + same score = more dots.

They might have had more 2s and 3s.

(I mean from memory they probably didn't but I wanted to get this off my chest).

cnerd123

likes this
Same score + less boundaries = more runs scored in non-boundaries. Singles are the most popular scoring shot usually, so you can assume more singles = less dots.

However, keep this in mind - NZ got 30 runs in extras. So they scored 210 runs in 300 legal balls.

I assume that someone has actually sat down and counted this tho.

cpr

International Coach
Same score + less boundaries = more runs scored in non-boundaries. Singles are the most popular scoring shot usually, so you can assume more singles = less dots.

However, keep this in mind - NZ got 30 runs in extras. So they scored 210 runs in 300 legal balls.

I assume that someone has actually sat down and counted this tho.
Yeah, because I'm "working"

NZ had 107 singles, 15 2s and 2 3s, 124 scoring shots (140 with Boundaries)
England 86 Singles, 16 2s and a flying 6 - 103 (127)

Of course that could mean NZ were great and finding a single, and brilliant at limiting Englands batsmen. Or England were more restrictive with the ball, keeping NZ to singles not boundaries, and better at hitting the ropes rather than taking risky runs (especially when 4 down).

I mean, neithers a good method of deciding a game. However I'd argue (and be called biased) that if I had to choose, i'd go for the one that rewards high scoring shots. After all the aim of the game is to score as many runs as possible, so putting in a tie break that rewards the shots that score as many runs as possible makes more sense. Its the shiniest turd in the pack.

Athlai

Not Terrible
CPR thats easily one of the worst posts I've ever seen.

"More restrictive with the ball"?

They scored the same amount of runs.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Ferguson the NZ bowler with the moustache? I thought he seemed pretty good. Made his debut half way through the tournament didn't he?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is Ferguson the NZ bowler with the moustache? I thought he seemed pretty good. Made his debut half way through the tournament didn't he?
Nah, he's been around for a couple of years. Was in and out of the side in the first 18 months, as he couldn't maintain his pace for more than a handful of overs, but really came good around 6 months ago. Hoping he gets a test debut sometime this summer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah 2018 Ferguson bowled a good over or two and then was gassed for the rest of the game. 2019 Ferguson is just another class entirely.