• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adil Rashid

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Here's the thing . England don't produce a lot of good spinners these days . Now pitches are well cared for the role of the spin bowler has lessened over here . We made changes to our County structure a while back to try to bring spinners into the game more , but not seen much fruit out of it yet .
I remember some of them. Whatever happened to that Kerrigan guy that played against Australia? I don't think he even plays county cricket now.

Crane, Leech, Dawson are the others that come to mind. Then there was the bringing back of David Batty 3 centuries after his England debut.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I remember some of them. Whatever happened to that Kerrigan guy that played against Australia? I don't think he even plays county cricket now.

Crane, Leech, Dawson are the others that come to mind. Then there was the bringing back of David Batty 3 centuries after his England debut.
Yeah, I'm thinking you mean Gareth.

Bijed

International Regular

Kerrigan's career just kinda died after his torrid test debut IIRC - played in the CC for a while afterwards but never seemed to do much. Crane's domestic stats don't demand a recall whatsoever, not sure he really deserved his first call-up for that matter. Leach is presumably our go-to 2nd spinner in tests now, but his lack of batting means Moeen will always be preferred as first spinner if bowling well, so for a few years at least he's probsbly only going to get a look in in certain circumstances. In another lifetime, Dawson could well have had a solid enough LO career for England, but I guess doesn't quite fit with our 'brand' nowadays.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Leach is probably our best spinner, and I could cope with him batting at 10 for us behind Woakes and Broad.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could definitely see Leach replacing Moeen at some point but Moeen has bowled really well since he came back into the side.

Archer can bat as well of course. Got a very decent first class record.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Moeen not getting dropped though so think we can forget that one. Will Woakes play in the test side ahead of Archer?
The other variable is whether Anderson's fit. If not, maybe we're looking at Woakes, Broad, Leach and Archer from 8 to 11. Thinking about it, Archer would bat above Leach of course.

cpr

International Coach
Kerrigan's career just kinda died after his torrid test debut IIRC - played in the CC for a while afterwards but never seemed to do much.
In truth Kerrigans career stats were massively inflated by a year playing at the North Wests finest out grounds whilst Old Trafford was redeveloped, we won the title on spin that year.

The test fiasco shot the hell out of his confidence too.