• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
The only thing I know about Birmingham is that there are lots of breweries, or at least there were in the 1800s. Thanks Brass: Birmingham.
Birmingham is now full of Pakistanis, hence why the huge support for Pakistan at Edgbaston. Pretty much a home game for them. ???

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question to Aussie fans : if you could choose between winning this match and the Ashes, which one would you go for?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I mean they have about ten World Cups but haven't won the real stuff here for a generation.

Probably a tougher question for England fans. Would still go Ashes.

Burgey

Yeah I mean they have about ten World Cups but haven't won the real stuff here for a generation.

Answer would be the same if the question had been asked in 2003 tbh.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

England need to win this WC........any other time I'd agree with the Ashes but this time around I'm leaning towards the WC.

Our WC record is embarrassing and given the focus on our ODI side the last 4 years (at the expense of the test team I might add) to not walk away with the silverware in a home tournament would be the ultimate humiliation for English cricket imo.

Burgey

Oh mate, I get where you're coming from but can't agree, sorry.

English cricket has had a lot worse humiliations than that.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
England need to win this WC........any other time I'd agree with the Ashes but this time around I'm leaning towards the WC.

Our WC record is embarrassing and given the focus on our ODI side the last 4 years (at the expense of the test team I might add) to not walk away with the silverware in a home tournament would be the ultimate humiliation for English cricket imo.
I don't think you could really call it humiliating if we played our best game, but just got beaten by a random ATG innings/spell of bowling. Things can happen in a tournament.

Losing a home Ashes would suck a fat one. Never seen it and I never want to.

cnerd123

likes this

I thought the ultimate humiliation of English cricket is what lead to the creation of the Ashes to begin with

the big bambino

International Captain
Question to Aussie fans : if you could choose between winning this match and the Ashes, which one would you go for?
Ashes but would be amped if Aus won the CWC.

Funny how things have changed though. Australia were gliding towards the semis and England sinking after taking a few hits. Now we are the side suffering a loss and injuries while England have come into the finals on two strong wins. So on current form I'd say England are faves and now that Usman is injured you can see how valuable he's been in solidifying our top 4 batting, where we have been scoring our runs. However his injury will force Smith up to three which might work out even better than having Usman in the side. But it comes at the expense of batting depth. Seeing Wade or Handscomb at 4 would encourage Eng with the belief they can get through our side. Michael Clarke seems to think Handscomb will be selected because he was called up first and the selectors have shown they don't like picking Wade anyway. Wade being a lefty in place of Usman being his main selection credential it seems. Though you'd think his runs scored should be at least considered? I'm coming around to the idea of M Marsh being a plus for our side at the expense of Stoinis who really should be moved on in light of his underwhelming CWC.

TheJediBrah

I find these injuries for Aus very suspicious. If you had to ask for 2 players to get rid of out of the side that's done well this World Cup, it would be Stoinis & Khawaja. Bringing in Wade & M. Marsh easily makes the team stronger IMO.

Is there such a thing as investigating "injury fixing" or the like

TheJediBrah

Even Handscomb would be an improvement IMO. He was gunning it in ODIs prior to being left out of the WC squad (controversially). I'd rather see Mitch Marsh in the top 4 tbh, with 2 of Maxwell/Wade/Handscomb at 5 & 6.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Khawaja? The guy hasn't been finch or Warner, but I thought he has done his job well this world cup.

TheJediBrah

Sure maybe the 88 he made against NZ was a bit of a save but other than that he seemed to just get in the way more than anything. He's been making runs here and there but I really don't see it as a big loss because Aus can replace him pretty easily.

Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell, Carey would all be bigger losses than Khawaja & Stoinis.

Burgey

On current form, Maxwell wouldn't. He's been terrible for the most part. hasn't done his role at all well and has been consistently shown up by half trackers.

TheJediBrah

More for his fielding/bowling and x-factor he provides the batting. Aus can't replace what he brings to the table as easy as they can Khawaja. With our top 3 firing a 40 (20) from Maxwell is more likely to be match-winning than a laboured 50 (65) from Uzzy.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that Behrendorff is doing decently (at least when there's something on offer for the bowlers), Stoinis was the only weak link left in the side. Wade/Handscomb for Khawaja is a small downgrade, but Marsh for Stoinis is a batting upgrade at least.

Wade will probably miss out regardless. Whoever gets a game, it's going to be hard to adjust from rubbish domestic attacks to international standard bowling so we can't expect much. The final is going to rest upon the shoulders of Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell and Carey's batting. And whether Starc and Cummins can lift their game from the last match.

Cummins has been poor for the second half of the group stage. Went from 11 wickets after about 3 matches to 12 or 13 after the entire group stage.