• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So this has turned out quite nicely: it is going to be a New Zealand vs England final after all.

C'mon, you Kiwis! C'mon, King Kane! Just win the damn thing this time.
No self respecting Aussie or Pom props up opposition. Why should we?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I seem to be alone, but I'd definitely have preferred to play Australia. Mental block or not, we were on top of them in the group game and should have put them away. And they've just got weaker since then with injuries and coming in off a loss.

India on the other hand dispatched us at home a few months ago. I guess I can get some faith from the warm-up match.

Bowling them out for 92 again would be pretty cool lol.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who is going to be the first commentator to say that whoever wins will go to the “finals”, even though it is only one match. Grinds my cricketing gears so bad.

Seems to have started with the Asian commentators.
Obviously it'll be verbal diarrhea mouth, Sanju Manju

rythy

School Boy/Girl Captain
NZ would be roaring to bounce back after 3 consecutive losses. And that's the thing which worries me little bit. Hopefully Rohit/Rahul will play cautiously in first 10 overs without losing wickets. First 10 overs or 50 runs will be very crucial for India.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go with this XI against NZ:

Rohit
Rahul
Kohli
Jadhav
Pant
Pandya
Dhoni
Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Chahal

NZ is poor against spin and had tough time against Kuldeep in the ODI series this year. Back the duo once more. NZ batting can't smash them like England did. KulCha can completely run through their batting.

Bhuvi over Shami for death bowling.

Jadhav over others because we need someone at least capable of scoring 80s even if he fails in reality. Can't stuff entire middle overs with players capable of only 30s and 40s.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I really want us to do left-field and get De Grandhomme to open with Guptill. Give CDG licence to attack with the field up. He can't do worse than Munro and Nicholls as an opener.

Then Nicholls can bat 6 and sweep the Indian spinners to death before Neesham plays as a finisher.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ is poor against spin and had tough time against Kuldeep in the ODI series this year. Back the duo once more. .
That's true but Williamson, Latham and Nicholls are all quality test players of spin, and Taylor is a very good ODI player of spin. CDG and Guptill are poor players of spin.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm more worried about raw pace (see Starc, Mitchell) than spin.

PS Don't blame me if the spinners roll us for 150 now!

Jezroy

State Captain
I'm more worried about raw pace (see Starc, Mitchell) than spin.

PS Don't blame me if the spinners roll us for 150 now!
That's true but Williamson, Latham and Nicholls are all quality test players of spin, and Taylor is a very good ODI player of spin. CDG and Guptill are poor players of spin.
I agree with you. I think aggressive, fast bowling is more dangerous to us because they have a go at our weaker suit - opening batsmen. Our batting strength (mainly Kane - usually Ross but just not at World Cups) are usually pretty good at dealing with spin.

Jezroy

State Captain
I’ve said it before... I just hope this team really does turn up to play.

Aggressive field placings and bowling. Much more solid fielding than in the last couple of years. And everyone who’s not Williamson and Taylor needs hypnosis to get them into a positive mindset with the bat.

India are just too good at the moment to deal with the team that coasts through against teams like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (in home conditions). So we need to bring that extra level to our game. The one that we used to bring a lot more regularly but for the last couple of years (bar Ross Taylor 180* vs England) we’ve relied on this clinical, thoughtful game plan. But for the big teams we just don’t have the firepower for that to be enough.

So let’s just turn up with the attitude that we’re gonna kick their ass. We really have nothing to lose.