• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the tournament?

Who is your pick for Man of the Tournament?

• David Warner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitchell Starc

• Jasprit Bumrah

• Lockie Ferguson

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Another top score for Shakib under pressure with his team mates crumbling around him. I honestly don’t know what more this guy can do.

His 41 against Australia means he was 9 runs short of 50+ in every game. And I can’t recall an innings where he wasn’t batting under pressure.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another top score for Shakib under pressure with his team mates crumbling around him. I honestly don’t know what more this guy can do.

His 41 against Australia means he was 9 runs short of 50+ in every game. And I can’t recall an innings where he wasn’t batting under pressure.
He's had a super tournament hasn't he?

Tom Flint

International Regular
So if KW scores a ton in the final to win it. Would you give it to him even though he finished behind shakib and rohit in the runs

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's Shakib so far. I don't care that his team didn't qualify - put any other single player in his place and they still wouldn't have.

That doesn't mean someone who has already had a good tournament doing something really memorable in the semi or final (or better yet, both) couldn't leapfrog him in my mind, but it's Shakib for now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So if KW scores a ton in the final to win it. Would you give it to him even though he finished behind shakib and rohit in the runs
Yes i would, though I think they decide it before the final, hence Chokedulkar winning it in 03

stephen

Starc's bowling tonight is pushing Shakib further ahead. Looks like another 1-70 type job.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Realistically I think only Rohit and Starc have a shot at taking this from Shakib.

Warner has at least 2 innings and potentially 3, but I doubt he'll widen the gap for it to be enough. He may not even catch up to Rohit.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Realistically I think only Rohit and Starc have a shot at taking this from Shakib.

Warner has at least 2 innings and potentially 3, but I doubt he'll widen the gap for it to be enough. He may not even catch up to Rohit.
Bumrah with two top tier performances in the KOs should have a shot.

Last edited:

mr_mister

If Root, Bairstow or Stokes got back to back MOM performances in the SF or F could easily be them

Lots of possibilities

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Some interesting points made above. Firstly, I think it's true that it is decided before the final - well it certainly used to be. The fact that they presented Klusener with the award on the Lords balcony in 99 means they must have asked him to be there to receive it, meaning Warne's MOTM in the final meant nothing. Similarly, Tendulkar's failure in the 2003 final probably meant very little. They probably had it picked already. Which makes me wonder... if Shakib is indeed the recipient (or anyone who isn't in the final), do they need to be present at Lords on the day of the final to receive it?

Again Starc failed to make an impression early in the game last night. I thought Bumrah was outstanding. In fact, I would say that Bumrah's 17 wickets have been more impressive than Starc's 26. Bumrah has bowled some incredible opening spells. As an Australian fan, I would love to see Starc do some damage in his first spell. We have the same problem in tests - he just doesn't get the top order batsmen often enough, and I think that will hurt us in the Ashes.

I have Warner ahead of Starc personally, but the media do seem to be obsessed with Starc's yorkers, even if they come in the 49th over with 320 on the board.

Rohit has seriously closed the gap on Shakib now. I'd love to see Shakib get it, but with Starc and Rohit breaking records and being part of successful teams, I think they will choose one of those guys.

stephen

Starc took quite a few early poles earlier in the tournament. He just seems to have lost the knack of the early wicket in the last half of the group stage.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The amazing thing about Bumrah is his economy rate in this tournament, I mean 4.48 runs per over across 8 games! The best was his 5 overs at the death giving only 27 runs during the England game, was absolutely unplayable at the death.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
The amazing thing about Bumrah is his economy rate in this tournament, I mean 4.48 runs per over across 8 games! The best was his 5 overs at the death giving only 27 runs during the England game, was absolutely unplayable at the death.
FB_IMG_1562482867926.jpg

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Neesham to get a 20-ball 50 in the semi and then a 4-wicket bag in the final before dedicating the win to Cricketweb.

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Shakib did not go home to Bangladesh with the team, and stayed in England "for personal reasons". I wonder if that reason is because he has been asked to be present at Lords on the 14th to receive the award?

Cricinfo also named him MVP of the league stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xySpPfP73ZI . Although, that could just be a pity award knowing that he won't win the big one.