• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the tournament?

Who is your pick for Man of the Tournament?

• David Warner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitchell Starc

• Jasprit Bumrah

• Lockie Ferguson

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
This thread just goes to show how subjective this stuff is, and there is no decision on the award that everyone will agree with. Personally, I think Shakib with his 3 x man of the match awards and outrageous stats is a no brainer, but the bookies disagree completely as they have Starc as a hot favourite.

Breaking down Australia's games is interesting:
1. Win v Afghanistan - Starc 1/31. Warner man of the match for his 89 runs.
2. Win v West Indies - Starc 5/46. Coulter Nile's 92 of 60 balls was judged as the man of the match performance. Only one of Starc's wickets was top/middle order...the rest came at the back end.
3. Lost v India - Starc 1/74.
4. Win v Pakistan - Starc 2/43. Warner man of the match for his 107.
5. Win v Sri Lanka - Starc 4/55. Finch man of the match for his 153.
6. Win v Bangladesh - Starc 2/55. Warner man of the match for his 166.
7. Win v England - Starc 4/43. Finch man of the match for his 100, and Behrendorff got 5/44, including the key wickets of the openers.
8. Win v NZ - Starc 5/26. Carey man of the match for his innings-saving 71 which gave Australia something to defend. Behrendorff once again got both the openers, and Starc cleaned up the tail when the match was effectively over (although admittedly, he did get the key wicket of Williamson).

You can't deny that 24 wickets from 8 games is extremely impressive, but McGrath's 26 wickets in 2007 are in a different league in my opinion. McGrath got rid of the top order time after time after time. Starc doesn't do that... he terrifies the tail.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's an old adage that batsmen win man of the match and bowlers win man of the series.

Starc has been most effective at destroying teams between overs 35 and 45, which is truncating their scores quite substantially.

If Australia win the cup he is a shoe in for MotS.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As you say Naarn, it's subjective. But as someone noted the other day when Aus was playing England (iirc) in about the 35th over "lol at anyone thinking this is still a game with five Starc overs left." Same sort of thing applies with Bumrah, in that you have to factor in the overs they have left in managing your chase. That has a pretty big impact imo (not saying it gets you MOTS points, but it does effect the approach of your opponents).

I don't think it's any coincidence that the sides with the two best pace attacks have stood out in the WC so far, and NZ aren't far behind either. England has Archer but their other pace options aren't that great - imo they're the exception to the rule in the top four. And, it has to be said it's fantastic to see pace bowling dominating a WC over rubbish finger spinners who turn up in the SC in JAMODI series and do well by doing no more than just landing it in craters.

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
As a captain I think I'd be wanting my opening bowlers to be dismissing top order batsmen, first and foremost. The 35 to 45 over threat is a nice ace up the sleeve but surely it's secondary to removing the most threatening batsmen early. McGrath was the best of all time at doing that - he was never one to feast on cheap wickets. Behrendorff has been more important to Australia than Starc in these last two games - he got both the openers on both occasions and had the opposition reeling.

I think it is Finch and Warner who have been setting up most of Australia's wins with massive opening stands. Same goes for England with Bairstow and Roy. And Rohit has been setting things up for India as well. So I don't think it's the pace attacks of those teams which is the reason they are in the top 3. The compressed nature of the run scorers list creates the impression that no one has stood out, but those three teams have had matchwinning opening stands time and time again. Bowling has been secondary in this tournament.

2015 was different. Starc's bowling was the difference.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's crazy to think his bowling has been secondary and that's only feasted on the tail when he got the vital wickets against England and Williamson against NZ. Not to mention that often the threat of Starc has made batsmen take undue risks at times IMO.

Gob

International Coach
As a captain I think I'd be wanting my opening bowlers to be dismissing top order batsmen, first and foremost. The 35 to 45 over threat is a nice ace up the sleeve but surely it's secondary to removing the most threatening batsmen early. McGrath was the best of all time at doing that - he was never one to feast on cheap wickets. Behrendorff has been more important to Australia than Starc in these last two games - he got both the openers on both occasions and had the opposition reeling.

I think it is Finch and Warner who have been setting up most of Australia's wins with massive opening stands. Same goes for England with Bairstow and Roy. And Rohit has been setting things up for India as well. So I don't think it's the pace attacks of those teams which is the reason they are in the top 3. The compressed nature of the run scorers list creates the impression that no one has stood out, but those three teams have had matchwinning opening stands time and time again. Bowling has been secondary in this tournament.

2015 was different. Starc's bowling was the difference.
Pretty sure he got lot of top order wickets as well. Like Root and Morgan in the England game for an example

OverratedSanity

Yeah it's crazy to think his bowling has been secondary and that's only feasted on the tail when he got the vital wickets against England and Williamson against NZ. Not to mention that often the threat of Starc has made batsmen take undue risks at times IMO.
I think he's made a fair enough point that the opening partnership has been arguably more important to Australia's success. Considering how badly they've ended some of their innings, and the general trend of innings petering out to disappointing finishes, they've needed every run Finch and Warner have contributed. Batting first and putting up good totals has been the key all throughout the tournament. Not that this makes Starc not worthy of the MotS award of course.

Last edited:

vcs

This thread just goes to show how subjective this stuff is, and there is no decision on the award that everyone will agree with. Personally, I think Shakib with his 3 x man of the match awards and outrageous stats is a no brainer, but the bookies disagree completely as they have Starc as a hot favourite.

Breaking down Australia's games is interesting:
1. Win v Afghanistan - Starc 1/31. Warner man of the match for his 89 runs.
2. Win v West Indies - Starc 5/46. Coulter Nile's 92 of 60 balls was judged as the man of the match performance. Only one of Starc's wickets was top/middle order...the rest came at the back end.
3. Lost v India - Starc 1/74.
4. Win v Pakistan - Starc 2/43. Warner man of the match for his 107.
5. Win v Sri Lanka - Starc 4/55. Finch man of the match for his 153.
6. Win v Bangladesh - Starc 2/55. Warner man of the match for his 166.
7. Win v England - Starc 4/43. Finch man of the match for his 100, and Behrendorff got 5/44, including the key wickets of the openers.
8. Win v NZ - Starc 5/26. Carey man of the match for his innings-saving 71 which gave Australia something to defend. Behrendorff once again got both the openers, and Starc cleaned up the tail when the match was effectively over (although admittedly, he did get the key wicket of Williamson).

You can't deny that 24 wickets from 8 games is extremely impressive, but McGrath's 26 wickets in 2007 are in a different league in my opinion. McGrath got rid of the top order time after time after time. Starc doesn't do that... he terrifies the tail.
Coming in and getting set batsmen just when the chasing team looks to be in control is also invaluable. He hasn't just been mopping up lower order wickets.

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
I’m not anti-Starc by any means. I’m just saying this:
1. Starc was undeniably player of the tournament in 2015. This time around, I don’t think he is.
2. Finch and Warner’s partnership has been more pivotal to Australia winning games, in my opinion.
3. Shakib deserves to win it more than any of the above.

Spark

Global Moderator
Coming in and getting set batsmen just when the chasing team looks to be in control is also invaluable. He hasn't just been mopping up lower order wickets.
This is particularly case when you look at Australian ODI cricket in the last few years, when we've had real trouble doing this and as a result have struggled to defend even big totals.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure I wholly agree with Naarn on this either, but quality poster thus far.....hope he sticks around.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm not sure I wholly agree with Naarn on this either, but quality poster thus far.....hope he sticks around.
I'd agree, but I am wary about complimenting new posters now, because the last guy I praised was trundler and he's just gone and become another awful ****poster like the rest of us

trundler

They opening batsmen have set up the games for Australia exceptionally well. Starc has done a lot to swing things back Australia's way tho. That over vs WI sealed the deal. Was his last over I think and Finch made a huge gamble to bowl his best 2 bowlers instead of holding them back for the last 2-4. Starc comes in and takes the wickets when everything depended on him. Those KW and Stokes wickets were similarly important.

trundler

I'd agree, but I am wary about complimenting new posters now, because the last guy I praised was trundler and he's just gone and become another awful ****poster like the rest of us
Your face is awful.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair call, trundler had a great deboo year no doubt, but certainly got a bit of the Adam Voges about him.

trundler

Fair call, trundler had a great deboo year no doubt, but certainly got a bit of the Adam Voges about him.
Heh, maybe more like Ajantha Mendis. But I ain't going anywhere soon. Got my eyes set on the 10k. :ph34r: