• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

33rd Match - New Zealand v Pakistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Jezroy

State Captain
Worried that Munro plays and makes 30 off 13, and the selectors go "See! He's awesome!"

Then his next 3 scores will be 4, 2, and 1.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pakistan to cause an upset, they've had the wood on NZ since 1992 semi-final :)
Haha yeah I’m sure all those pre 2000s results really weigh heavily on the minds of these players. Though you could also say that we’ve won every World Cup match against them in the last 19 years.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Had WI managed to win against NZ, this would have been a virtual qualifier (not quite I know but close enough). Is there a realistic chance that NZ won't qualify if they lose this game and next 2?

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The Windies game was probably good preparation for NZ for a matchup like this, though Pakistan possess a smarter and more varied attack than the Windies. Would be great if Guptill, Latham or Neesham plays a substantial knock, can't depend on Williamson and Taylor to deliver the goods each and every time.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wait i swear you've bitched about modern day cricketers managing < 80 overs per day in Tests
Given the minimum is 90 overs a day, bowling less than 80 is pretty poor.

But yeah I've never really gotten the hang up over over rates. When people were bowling 110 overs a day the games sounded terrible to watch.

OverratedSanity

wait i swear you've bitched about modern day cricketers managing < 80 overs per day in Tests
Might have bitched about it years ago but I've always considered banning players for it complete horse**** and much more damaging to the game than a few overs being bowled slightly slower than required.

Over-rates are a red herring. It's something a lot of people point to as a big problem while the real issues get ignored. Apparently people think 7 overs of quick trash from a part timer to get a team to 90 overs a day would be better to watch than 80 high quality overs from the best available bowlers. It's so ****ing stupid.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Was anyone watching that game at the ground or at home bothered that it ran one over slow?!

Ridiculous that any player would ever be in danger of missing a knock-out World Cup match over such a non-issue.

We want to see the best vs the best in these matches.

cnerd123

likes this
The ICC is harsh on everything. They kind of have to be. The second they show leniency to any one team or individual, they get ripped apart. It's why players cop demerit points for simply showing frustration on the field. It sucks but such is the reality of modern day cricket. No tolerance for any crime, especially if it can be clearly proven.

Over-rates aren't really ruining cricket, they're probably just harsh on it because of broadcasters, who have other programming to turn to and need the cricket to end in a timely manner. I don't think ground bookings are such an issue at the elite level, and clearly the fans don't care. Must just be one of those things they have to be hard on because of TV. If the punishment is lenient, games run slower overall, and broadcasters push back.

I wonder how other sports deal with stuff like this. Is this even a problem in any other sport (games running longer than schedule because players are going slow)?

Bijed

International Regular
Apparently people think 7 overs of quick trash from a part timer to get a team to 90 overs a day would be better to watch than 80 high quality overs from the best available bowlers. It's so ****ing stupid.
You're right, but at matches I've been to where they've fallen behind the over rate, it's been in large part due to fielding teams just kinda faffing around (+ Shannon Gabriel walking back to his mark!) which doesn't exactly constitute a high-quality spectating experience either

morgieb

The ICC is harsh on everything. They kind of have to be. The second they show leniency to any one team or individual, they get ripped apart. It's why players cop demerit points for simply showing frustration on the field. It sucks but such is the reality of modern day cricket. No tolerance for any crime, especially if it can be clearly proven.

Over-rates aren't really ruining cricket, they're probably just harsh on it because of broadcasters, who have other programming to turn to and need the cricket to end in a timely manner. I don't think ground bookings are such an issue at the elite level, and clearly the fans don't care. Must just be one of those things they have to be hard on because of TV. If the punishment is lenient, games run slower overall, and broadcasters push back.

I wonder how other sports deal with stuff like this. Is this even a problem in any other sport (games running longer than schedule because players are going slow)?
Other sports typically use timers, I think the only real parallels are tennis and baseball. Tennis has time violations if people are taking too long between points.

Flem274*

123/5
given kane isn't exactly going to give two ****s about over rates in a close semi then this is actually a serious problem

Borges

International Regular
Just clobber the guys who do not bowl their quota, I say. The ICC requirement, with all the allowances added on, is overly generous as it is.