• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

33rd Match - New Zealand v Pakistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Actually I can understand the ICC's strictness even if the broadcasters were not pressuring them tbh. Once you let people get away with it, it'll just be a slippery slope/snow ball effect and get worse and worse. Got to nip it in the bud. Teams have plenty of time to complete their overs and umpires do give them allowances for good cause anyways.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's always been a farce that a match ban is a penalty for a captain though. Sure fine the captain, fine the whole team, fine the cricket board. But to actually ban a player is ridiculous.

cnerd123

likes this
It's always been a farce that a match ban is a penalty for a captain though. Sure fine the captain, fine the whole team, fine the cricket board. But to actually ban a player is ridiculous.
If not a ban for a captain then what else would be a sufficient enough deterrent? Keeping in mind it is ultimately the captain who is responsible - it's written into the laws.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It doesn’t matter if it’s written into the laws, it’s daft. Just being a law doesn’t make something not daft. At a certain point when a cricketer actually loses money playing cricket, they’re probably going to comply eh? Or else why would they bother fining at all?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah couldn't agree more. Ultimately I don't think it's a big enough issue for people to get suspended over, but even if I did I'd just support 500% match fee fines instead. Suspensions rob the fans much more than the slow overrates they're designed to deter.

Borges

International Regular
What if he plays it smart? King Kane pretends to be mildly injured, goes off the field for off and on for a a few sedate overs in the middle and lets someone else take over the captaincy for those periods.
The timer crowd would probably not have accounted for such shenanigans. Would the ICC chicken out in the end, and refrain from imposing any penalty?

cnerd123

likes this
They used to just fine players didn't they, but that didn't work, so they made it a code of conduct offence and brought in suspensions.

I doubt the ICC can fine more than 100% match fee. That will disproportionately hurt less popular cricketers from poorer nations, plus now you are potentially taking away money that a player earnt from outside of cricket. I mean, I think they can do it in the literal sense of the word, but given the ICC is made up of member nation bosses it's not a decision that is likely to go through easily. Plus I'm not sure of the legality of that - does the ICC even have the jurisdiction to fine someone more than 100% match fee? A flat fine would fail for the same reason - you can keep poorer players in check but not the richer ones, unless you want to financially ruin poorer cricketers for one offence.

Even a 100% match fee fine would not work for higher profile cricketers who earn bulk of their income from sponsorships and contracts anyways. For sure players would sacrifice their match fee every game, they'll be compensated with a heavier contract and the opportunities that come with being captain.

It's definitely worse for the fans to see guys like Kane miss a game, but what else can the ICC do? If you don't have a deterrent to overrate penalties that works then why even have an overrate to begin with? Just let teams bowl their over at whatever speed they want.

It's daft but cricket is just daft sometimes.

Maybe NZ could just get around this by making Munro captain on paper. Dunnow if or how that would work

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If NZ win their next game and are guaranteed a semi final spot then strategically it'd be best for KW to go slow so he cops a ban for the final group match. Get it out of the way before the finals and simultaneously show the absurdity of the rule.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, look at ***** coming to the aid of 'professionals' due to a misguided sense of fraternity. It's daft, doesn't matter how long your word salad is.

BeeGee

International Captain
If NZ win their next game and are guaranteed a semi final spot then strategically it'd be best for KW to go slow so he cops a ban for the final group match. Get it out of the way before the finals and simultaneously show the absurdity of the rule.
It's completely absurd. What if they rest Williamson in the dead rubber to give the bench some game time, Latham captains and they go slow again. Who gets suspended? Williamson who didn't even play or Latham who is only responsible for one game of slow bowling? Or do they just fine Latham for a first offence, in which case what's stopping a habitually slow overs team from just naming a different captain each game?

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
While it maybe daft, silly, all of those things, you've got to agree that it's a strong deterrent. Disagree that fines are as strong. I don't agree with it but I do acknowledge that.

Flem274*

123/5
if kane gets banned you just know even the nz commentators will be cheering, because slow over rates are currently the greatest problem with world cricket

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's honestly stupid. You know what would fix it? If the ****ing match referee (and umpires) actually timed the gap between overs (and how long an over takes). If penalty runs (or losing your wicket due to time wasting) impacted the live game, thats actually going to see people getting a move on. What other sport deals with problems this way?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Had WI managed to win against NZ, this would have been a virtual qualifier (not quite I know but close enough). Is there a realistic chance that NZ won't qualify if they lose this game and next 2?
Theoretically it's possible, but Pakistan would have to hammer all three of their remaining opponents to get their net run rate up.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Theoretically it's possible, but Pakistan would have to hammer all three of their remaining opponents to get their net run rate up.
And as a reminder West Indies still has a positive nrr despite having only the one win against Pakistan. They thrashed them sooooo hard. Pakistan NRR is pretty much doomed unless they can chase down a total in like 10 overs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Sri Lanka could get above us if they win all three of their remaining games. But given that involves them beating India I'd say that's even less likely than Pakistan getting ahead of us on nrr.

vandem

International 12th Man
SL can still jump the NZ (currently on 11 points), on 6 points and playing Eng + SA + Ind, 3 wins = 12 points.

For Pak or Ban it is harder to knock out the NZ, they have to win all their remaining games (they play each other in the final game) to reach 11 points, hope NZ lose the next 3 by large margins, and might sneak ahead on run rate.

So really NZ are in the semis. Best chance of SL / Bang / Pak making the semis is having one of the big three teams explode. I'd be worried if I was an English supporter, only 8 points, and playing Aus + Ind + NZ. Need to win 2 from 3 to be sure. Could make it with 1 win from 3 and hope SL / Bang / Pak don't have a golden streak.

The Eng loss to SL has opened up some interesting scenraios.

BeeGee

International Captain
SL can still jump the NZ (currently on 11 points), on 6 points and playing Eng + SA + Ind, 3 wins = 12 points.

For Pak or Ban it is harder to knock out the NZ, they have to win all their remaining games (they play each other in the final game) to reach 11 points, hope NZ lose the next 3 by large margins, and might sneak ahead on run rate.

So really NZ are in the semis. Best chance of SL / Bang / Pak making the semis is having one of the big three teams explode. I'd be worried if I was an English supporter, only 8 points, and playing Aus + Ind + NZ. Need to win 2 from 3 to be sure. Could make it with 1 win from 3 and hope SL / Bang / Pak don't have a golden streak.

The Eng loss to SL has opened up some interesting scenraios.
Indeed. And that doesn't even factor in the fickle English weather. Two losses and a washout would be nearly as bad for England as three losses.

I think the English fans should be rooting for NZ in this game, Pakistan has a real shot at that fourth spot if they win.