• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

25th Match - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, NZ were a tad fortunate that the game was played in Bangladesh. They also really benefitted from touring Bangladesh in late 2010 and getting hammered. The batsmen learnt a lot about how Bangladeshi conditions play, and the selectors learnt a lot about just how effective bits n' pieces straight break allrounders become on Bangladeshi pitches.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That was probably my 2nd favourite WC game after the 2015 Semi. The scale of NZ's comeback was incredible - I think SAF went from 105/2 to 138/7 in the space of about 10 overs. Oram was absolutely immense that night, it was probably his best ever bowling performance for NZ. I also remember the exquisite joy of Pat Symcox being rendered practically speechless after sounding off throughout the first innings about how great SA were and how NZ had no chance.

On particular gem from that game I found in the match thread:

Simon Doull "You could almost go as far as to say these two teams are the best fielding sides in the tournament."

Symcox "Well South Africa certainly is."

Simon Doull "Ok."

***** clearly stealing ideas from Doull.
Ah classic thread and Symcox's commentary even got a mention. Main question for tonight's match is whether Bahnz will drink as much this time round - I've never seen so many emoticons!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, NZ were a tad fortunate that the game was played in Bangladesh. They also really benefitted from touring Bangladesh in late 2010 and getting hammered. The batsmen learnt a lot about how Bangladeshi conditions play, and the selectors learnt a lot about just how effective bits n' pieces straight break allrounders become on Bangladeshi pitches.
Ha, I never clicked it was played in Bangers.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Great memories no doubt. Even the 2003 game though less of a spectacle deserves to be well remembered, Fleming played an ATG innings against South Africa on their own turf (at the Bullring no less, totally eclipsed Gibbs who had played a gem).

Will be interesting to see South Africa this time with their backs to the wall. They'll obviously be playing with a little extra desperation which could go either way really.

The Hutt Rec

Never saw Fleming hit the ball as well as he did in that 2003 knock ... that was another fantastic one, after their big score in the first innings my hopes weren't high, but we cruised home. Astle was good too.

Amazing we've got such a great World Cup record against them when they routinely flog us in normal ODI series.

Howsie

International Captain
Haha I remember that Symcox comment re Doull. He was such an ass during that game, made the win that much better.

Prediction from me today. Munro will score **** all

Moss

Haha I remember that Symcox comment re Doull. He was such an ass during that game, made the win that much better.

If NZ do play Munro today (as opener, anyway) he's a lock-in for a single figure score against South Africa's attack. (Cue a quickfire 60 from him then).

Zinzan

The like was reminding me what an absolute **** Symcox was in the com-box that day, not your Munro prediction.

Munro to get a handy 29 off 21 balls

Zinzan

Delayed start, wet outfield.

NZ fans can't catch a break in terms of late night viewing for a couple of hours.

Zinzan

Groundsman and Umps looking at the rain forecast, just get the **** on with it if it's not raining now unless the outfield is unsafe.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame, was genuinely looking forward to this one. Still may have a shortened game, but knowing the English climate I am not optimistic