• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

25th Match - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it's been less top to bottom power than we've seen in recent times. I'm not by any means saying they don't have the best (or one of) batting lineup at the moment, but the gulf seems a bit narrower than it did earlier in the year.

cnerd123

likes this
I think too many teams have won the toss and bowled this tournament but I still think it's a good strategy against England, because they sometimes look like they might bite off more than they can chew trying to set 360 when they bat first. If England know they only have to score 310 they'll do it in a canter most times but if you dangle 360 it could be 260ao slightly more often.
I think the risk with bowling first is that, more often than not, NZ will find themselves chasing something in the range of 300-320. If they back themselves to chase that, then bowl first. If not, then bat first and look to defend.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
From NZ's POV hopefully it doesn't come down to those last 2 games, though those could be very effective indicators of how NZ will go if they make it to the knockouts.

South Africa is a very tricky one to call. They've been far from their best and they're the one big team NZ generally saves their best for in World Cups. In recent bilateral series though NZ haven't done particularly well against Rabada and Tahir. QdK also has made something of a habit of dining our on kiwi bowling. This is one game I'd definitely like to see Nicholls in for Munro.

On current form NZ probably favourites, though the supporting cast needs to step up and help KW and Taylor out.

Jezroy

State Captain
I still half expect NZ to fall apart at some point. I know it’s a strange attitude, but the build up for the last year has been unconvincing, and the three wins so far have been against teams we really should beat.

Obviously if we get a pitch like the one we got in Hamilton and beat India on earlier this year, we’ll challenge anyone. But there is still a lot of frailty about this team. Kane and Ross aside, the batting looks pretty shaky against the good attacks. Even Guptill recently. And South Africa (if they play well) have a good attack. The way we nearly carked it against Bangladesh was really unnerving.

And hopefully the “rest” has done New Zealand good. I’m just a bit nervous. It’s an important game.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah we could easily lose our remaining games, but equally i remain unconvinced by englands batting against truly world class bowling. there's just something slightly jammy, t20 hackfraud about them and imo they'll come unstuck in the final against india where there are no neeshams or coulter-niles to feast on.

i don't rate us against aus for obvious reasons. no matter how much they're struggling, we will always play down to australias level and if they're good then we'll make a game of it but lose. after 2015 wc and test series im convinced this lot have a mental block with the way they melt to australia compared to the tenacity shown in other games.

Borges

International Regular
This has the makings of a good contest if the pitch is a bit spicy. On a flat pitch, I think New Zealand would have enough batting fire power to see them through.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As NZ fans we are conditioned to worry about our chances in any given match.

In this one, I'm worried about scoring enough runs. We've been starved of a hell of a lot of match practice v good bowling outfits, and Rabada/Ngidi (if he plays) and especially Tahir will trouble us. Obviously with Ross/Kane being the hopes upon which we base any decent effort on, SA will know if they get those guys early they're in with a massive, massive sniff.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only one that's not too fussed about Ngidi? I know he's got talent, but he's had a few injury problems in the last 6 months and has looked down on pace and wayward in his 2 WC games so far.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Come on Amla. Come on Markram.

Come on SA, win toss bat first put up big total and then Tahir will do the rest in 2nd innings

330+

BeeGee

International Captain
Bring it on!

The forecast looks a little better, should be able to get a game in.

NZ to win comfortably. :pokey:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That 2011 South African team had such an atrocious tail I always thought we had a decent chance in that game.

Their 7-11 was Botha, Petersen, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir. When you've got Kallis and Duminy as bowling options and AB as your keeper all in the top 6, there is no reason to have such poor batsmen at 7 and 8.

In contrast our 7-11 was pretty decent - N McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Woodcock, Southee. There was an important innings from a young Kane Williamson at 6 in that game too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That was probably my 2nd favourite WC game after the 2015 Semi. The scale of NZ's comeback was incredible - I think SAF went from 105/2 to 138/7 in the space of about 10 overs. Oram was absolutely immense that night, it was probably his best ever bowling performance for NZ. I also remember the exquisite joy of Pat Symcox being rendered practically speechless after sounding off throughout the first innings about how great SA were and how NZ had no chance.

On particular gem from that game I found in the match thread:

Simon Doull "You could almost go as far as to say these two teams are the best fielding sides in the tournament."

Symcox "Well South Africa certainly is."

Simon Doull "Ok."

***** clearly stealing ideas from Doull.

Last edited: