• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

23th Match - West Indies v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to have 14 teams in 2 pools of 7 like 2011 and 2015. However, instead of 4 teams in each pool going through I'd like to only have the top 3 so games mean more. The winners of each pool should go straight to the semi-finals as a reward for topping their pool, while there could be 2 quarters of 2 v 3, before 2 semis and a final.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But for who? Miraz is their best bowler, Shakib is their best player - so those two can't be dropped. Mosaddek provides much needed batting cushion.
If their plan was to win the toss and bowl because it'd do a bit in the air then he should've been in for one of these opening bowlers (who have done good jobs tbf, and one is captain so probably off the table) or Mosaddek, because he's lengths away their best swing bowler. I think their plan was just to chase because they like chasing which is blekh. Got lucky IMO.

cnerd123

likes this
I like quarter-finals. 4 groups of 5, top 2 into quarter-finals. Thins 20 into 8, but with 40 group-stage games to keep broadcasters happy. Put each of India, England and Australia into separate groups for $$$ purposes. Pakistan can either be in it's own group, or grouped with India, depending on how comfortable you are with a Pak vs India game happening in the KO stages. 8 Associate teams now get involved and get plenty of games time as well.

You still have the issue with dead-rubber and meaningless games, which IMO can be sorted by having all the Associate games take place early in the event, so that you build towards all the 'important' group stage games towards the back-end, after which it's right into KO stages.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd like to have 14 teams in 2 pools of 7 like 2011 and 2015. However, instead of 4 teams in each pool going through I'd like to only have the top 3 so games mean more. The winners of each pool should go straight to the semi-finals as a reward for topping their pool, while there could be 2 quarters of 2 v 3, before 2 semis and a final.
Yeah I love this. My preferred options have long been this, and 4 groups of 4. I don't really mind which but I remember spruiking for exactly this back in 2015.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Take me off ignore ****.

But yeah I love it. I reckon we'd still have it in rugby league but for concern about fans of perennially mediocre teams like the ones we both follow losing hope mid-season and checking out, plus all the extra dead rubbers it'd create that don't sell/rate. The fact that it's not actually a proper home and away draw justifies making it more than five to some degree I suppose.
How about having 14 teams in the WC, then the top 8 advance to a McIntyre system final series

mr_mister

I like quarter-finals. 4 groups of 5, top 2 into quarter-finals. Thins 20 into 8, but with 40 group-stage games to keep broadcasters happy. Put each of India, England and Australia into separate groups for $$$ purposes. Pakistan can either be in it's own group, or grouped with India, depending on how comfortable you are with a Pak vs India game happening in the KO stages. 8 Associate teams now get involved and get plenty of games time as well.

You still have the issue with dead-rubber and meaningless games, which IMO can be sorted by having all the Associate games take place early in the event, so that you build towards all the 'important' group stage games towards the back-end, after which it's right into KO stages.
This would be perfect, it was my dream as a kid because the rugby world cup used this exact system. Pity that there'd be 10 minnows.. Maybe when cricket is stronger globally. Slowly but surely getting there

It's a pity some teams like Kenya and Netherlands are competitive for a generation then fall off the face of the earth

cnerd123

likes this
It's a pity some teams like Kenya and Netherlands are competitive for a generation then fall off the face of the earth
This is partly because their pathway to the WC changes every cycle, and it never becomes easier for them and other sides to qualify. They keep thinning the WC and making it harder and hard, so that once a team has gained some momentum they find it impossible to sustain.

Ofc in Kenya's case corruption played quite a role too, but for most Associates it's just the lack of stability and support really. Which is a tough one to solve. On the one hand, you want Associates to develop the game to the point where they're self sufficient and not relying on the ICC to make them competitive, but on the other hand, if you don't give them enough opportunities to play then how are they going to be self sustaining...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Take me off ignore ****.

But yeah I love it. I reckon we'd still have it in rugby league but for concern about fans of perennially mediocre teams like the ones we both follow losing hope mid-season and checking out, plus all the extra dead rubbers it'd create that don't sell/rate. The fact that it's not actually a proper home and away draw justifies making it more than five to some degree I suppose.
Precisely. Still think it’s the best finals system going around tbh. But yeah, expansion and lack of two full rounds makes a top six or eight inevitable

mr_mister

You'd think Shai Hope would be more successful in tests with these strike rates he keeps churning out. Has the technique... Seemingly possesses the mindset

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'd think Shai Hope would be more successful in tests with these strike rates he keeps churning out. Has the technique... Seemingly possesses the mindset
He's played a couple of awesome Test innings as well. I think it's just a matter of time but he's been really **** since what I thought was going to be his breakout series in England.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Dot balls! Shocking, I thought we were past this nonsense. One bad performance and they are batting as if they're afraid to get out.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Lewis will launch anytime soon now. With 27 overs left, this could get ugly for BD if they don't get 2 quick wickets. I'm still fuming about the decision to take Saifuddin off after 3 overs tbh. At least bring him back now.