• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

23th Match - West Indies v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ could lose to England and Australia and suddenly be in trouble should of these two teams not drop another game
If that happened NZ would need to win 2 of 3 against SA, Windies & Pakistan.

Mind, it would never transpire that way given England is NZ's last game of the qualifiers.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
4 out of 10 teams advancing is pretty rough yeah when the top 4 are light years ahead of the chasing pack

8 out of 12/14 was too many though, the group stages were only existing to eliminate minnows

Honestly I think 12/14 teams then Super sixes, like in '99, was actually a good format. I know it had flaws but they weren't an issue in '99 like they were in '03 when the location of the cup was the bigger problem
I sort of agree that 4 out of 10 is kinda harsh, but I'm not sold about a group stage after another. Ultimately we have to move towards quarter-finals but only when there are enough quality teams to make the 14-team group stages more interesting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really don’t want to cause offence to anyone by asking what was once a harmless question but which is now trolling or piling on or something, but as I’m in a cab on the way home from a long weekend, dare I ask what the weather is like?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I sort of agree that 4 out of 10 is kinda harsh, but I'm not sold about a group stage after another. Ultimately we have to move towards quarter-finals but only when there are enough quality teams to make the 14-team group stages more interesting.
Five's probably the perfect number to progress if you're going to do this format - half the teams seems right, even on top of the fact that the battle for fifth would make it a lot more interesting at the moment. Then you could have a top five finals series as used in various club leagues in other sports around the world, also ensuring the finishing higher still gave you a proper advantage.

In principle I object to this ten team round robin format though so thinking about how to improve it hasn't really been part of my brain orbit.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Both the teams are evenly balanced on paper, and we should be ready for intriguing contest, mouth watering!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
NZ could lose to England and Australia and suddenly be in trouble should of these two teams not drop another game
Same can happen to Australia to be honest, if they lose to NZ and Eng and SA keep winning their games then effectively the last game between SA and Aus may become a quarter-final.

Also if Afghanistan can pull off something stunning tomorrow on a spinning pitch that'd open up things likely (but that looks highly unlikely tbh as they have to face Archer and Wood).

Flem274*

123/5
if this tournament had a couple more minnows to go with afghanistan, england and indian/australian dick waving then it would be perfect. this tourney is copping it extra hard because of the rain.

i love having a theoretically competitive cricket game on every night, i see no need to rush.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
... Then you could have a top five finals series as used in various club leagues in other sports around the world, also ensuring the finishing higher still gave you a proper advantage.
I don't follow other sports so have no clue

cnerd123

likes this
why oh why do they insist on bowling first

their only win so far was batting first

they nearly beat NZ batting first

bowling first backfired massively vs. England, and now they're trying it again against another lineup stacked with allrounders and big-hitters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Both the teams are evenly balanced on paper, and we should be ready for intriguing contest, mouth watering!
Still not sure why Mortaza elected to bowl first. Is there anything on the wicket for him and Saifuddin in the first few overs? Otherwise this could get ugly. I'd rather have a 300+ total being defended through Miraz-Shakib spin-choke. That would be difficult for WI in a must-win game in spite of the small ground.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
why oh why do they insist on bowling first

their only win so far was batting first

they nearly beat NZ batting first

bowling first backfired massively vs. England, and now they're trying it again against another lineup stacked with allrounders and big-hitters
Exactly. I haven't seen the pitch so hoping there's something special to get 2+ wickets in first 10. Otherwise this is a stupid decision.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really don’t want to cause offence to anyone by asking what was once a harmless question but which is now trolling or piling on or something, but as I’m in a cab on the way home from a long weekend, dare I ask what the weather is like?
Cloudy but theyre meant to get a full game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't follow other sports so have no clue
Round 1
Qualification Final: 2nd vs 3rd
Elimination Final: 4th vs 5th
Bye: 1st

Round Two
Major Semi Final: 1st vs Winners of Qualification Final

Minor Semi Final: Losers of Qualification Final vs Winners of Elimination Final

Round Three