• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Summer of 2019

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
As it is raining right now in Nottingham, I've had a thought. I know that cheap labour for covering the whole ground is probably not so much of a thing in England comapred to Sri Lanka, but surely they could use a tractor or even the roller to drag larger covers on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As it is raining right now in Nottingham, I've had a thought. I know that cheap labour for covering the whole ground is probably not so much of a thing in England comapred to Sri Lanka, but surely they could use a tractor or even the roller to drag larger covers on.
I’m sure there was a ground in England a few years ago which had whole field covers? In fact I though it was at the ****hole (Birmingham). There was also one which had those covers on wheels which covered the pitch or who square (can’t recall which).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Do they still use it? Seems odd if they don't.
They’ve redeveloped that part of the ground and from what I remember of it, it was such a massive bit of kit that it required too large a gap to get through onto the playing surface so it’s presumably been scrapped.

Burgey

Has it been gone that long? Bloody hell. CN understand it took ages to get it deployed, when you think about it.

They also had/ have those covers that go over the pitch and are on wheels so the deck doesn’t sweat. I don’t know why we don’t adopt them over here as well.

andmark

International Captain
Ok, so now there's a heatwave going across the UK. It's set to be a sweltering 31 degrees here, ironically meaning the England players may feel like they're playing away. In any case summer has arrived at last.

trundler

Ok, so now there's a heatwave going across the UK. It's set to be a sweltering 31 degrees here, ironically meaning the England players may feel like they're playing away. In any case summer has arrived at last.
*Nelson voice*

Ha-ha!

andmark

International Captain
Nah, us Englishmen wear thick fur coats and live in insulated houses because winter is coming apparently. People genuinely insulate their attics with these things which look like sheep fur to prevent heat escaping in winter. Of course, no one thought about summer when they had that idea.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah 31 degrees in England is like 40 degrees in Australia because all their houses are designed to trap heat. They're not designed to allow breezes properly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sleeping in summer (when it actually delivers, as it has these past few days) is a horrible experience.

But y’know. It’s cool or cold probably two thirds of the year so it’s a fair sacrifice

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What if you go outside
Then it bloody rains.

Actually when I was in London it was a 30 degree heatwave and it was beautiful weather (this is a few years back). Felt like a nice dry autumn day.

I went to Scotland and they were having a heat wave. The temperature was getting up too 24. The owner of the place I was staying was complaining about the heat. But he was wearing a singlet, shirt and vest.

Folks in the UK don't really know how to dress for good weather.