• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Summer of 2019

Teja.

Global Moderator
Man, I was being completely facetious in that post and thought the last sentence would make the ridiculousness clear. Clearly a fail on my part lol.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Man, I was being completely facetious in that post and thought the last sentence would make the ridiculousness clear. Clearly a fail on my part lol.
I genuinely thought the capitalism line was sincere lol

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
A friend of mine who lived in London for more than a decade says it's silly to keep world cup in England in June. No kidding. He said June. Not this time of the year or summer or something ambiguous like that. I wanted to correct him but I let him live with his ignorance :ph34r:

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
England is the best place to host cricket; the best choice for the World Cup. It is just unfortunate that in this edition quite a few games have been washed out.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What IS the cost of replay days for when it's rain affected? Do they only pay for days used, or have to pay for them even if unused? Granted, spate days won't have helped much here with the continuous bout of rain, but just curious if scheduling make up days is really a big cost factor.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What IS the cost of replay days for when it's rain affected? Do they only pay for days used, or have to pay for them even if unused? Granted, spate days won't have helped much here with the continuous bout of rain, but just curious if scheduling make up days is really a big cost factor.
I’d think that you’d effectively have to double staffing costs for security/catering etc. at each ground plus you’d need extra people on the broadcast side of things as you’d need more cover.

That’s before you even think of accommodation costs for fans / teams etc.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I’d think that you’d effectively have to double staffing costs for security/catering etc. at each ground plus you’d need extra people on the broadcast side of things as you’d need more cover.

That’s before you even think of accommodation costs for fans / teams etc.
Accommodation wouldn't increase, because a team is sleeping here or there anyway. It's the staffing that might be an issue, but surely the spare days would be a casual thing... Only paid if required. On the broadcast side of things, that tab would be picked up by the broadcasters and I feel as though it's in their interests to get an extra days broadcast compered to lost viewers from the previous day. Maybe not. Maybe advertising revenues are already based on lost days. If not, and broadcasters need to compensate for all the lost viewers to their adds then they would be all for picking up spare days. Anyways, let's just hope this weather passes.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking ahead I'm not seeing many of these so called sunny days next week, a lot of games have rain predicted to fall on them. I'm guessing across the entire cup wel end up with 10 no results, which is unacceptable

Victor Ian

International Coach
I didn't see it that drastic. I was seeing low teen precipitation, which will most likely result in games with maybe a few being shortened. It's some weather patch though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
looking ahead i'm not seeing many of these so called sunny days next week, a lot of games have rain predicted to fall on them. I'm guessing across the entire cup wel end up with 10 no results, which is unavoidable and not predictable based on average rainfall historical information
fyp

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
There is rain forecast in Cardiff (shock horror) but supposed to clear up late afternoon, yeah.

James

Cricket Web Owner
With England hosting a lot of World Cups and the Ashes of course, I'm a tad surprised Lord's hasn't had a massive capacity upgrade so games like today's between India/Pakistan can have a huge crowd.

With Wembley hosting 90,000 for the football and Twickenham hosting 82,000 for rugby, I wonder when Lord's or The Oval are going to get big upgrades so there's at least one ground with a high capacity.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it’s because Lords is in one of the wealthiest areas of London tbh. To turn it into a real ground with a real actual capacity and also have a > under 10 size outfield would require millions to acquire the surrounding territory. Best keep it bespoke with a crowd of 1,390. Wouldn’t want the game to become too popular over there after all.