• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15th Match - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Would be interesting to see if there are any examples of players who vastly outperformed their career averages/reputations in World Cups. Shaun Tait?
I'm sure it happens but not more often than the bounds of statistical uncertainty. Precisely why only world cups matter is moot. Good players do well, bad players to badly. Rarely would you see Venkaypathy Raju becoming world beater in world cup and Akram struggling because it's world cup.

I know you are not saying anything contrary to that. Just taking off from your question.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure it happens but not more often than the bounds of statistical uncertainty. Precisely why only world cups matter is moot. Good players do well, bad players to badly. Rarely would you see Venkaypathy Raju becoming world beater in world cup and Akram struggling because it's world cup.

I know you are not saying anything contrary to that. Just taking off from your question.
Yeah I meant weird cases like Bichel because of a small sample size. We have examples of the opposite like Inzamam (I think, I remember him having a really poor run in one of the World Cups).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Bichel was quality, one of the best bowlers in the best era of Sheffield Shield cricket. Him and Kasprowicz would have to be the greatest new ball partnership in Shield history

Statistically I'm pretty sure they are the most successful Shield new ball partnership

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I meant weird cases like Bichel because of a small sample size. We have examples of the opposite like Inzamam (I think, I remember him having a really poor run in one of the World Cups).
Hmm. On the other hand Inzamam played a big hand in Pakistan's 92 triumph.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be interesting to see if there are any examples of players who vastly outperformed their career averages/reputations in World Cups. Shaun Tait?
Geoff Allott was the leading wicket-taker in the 99 World Cup. Not sure on the rest of his career figures but it does seem like a well timed one-hit wonder.

EDIT: Overall record was 52 wickets @ 23.21, without the 99 WC it was 32 wickets @ 27.56 (though his ER was a concerning 5.28). So not a massive discrepency, but still somewhat significant.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
99 world cup:

8 matches, 367 runs at 52, 12 wickets at 19.91

Rest of career:

40 matches, 1312 runs at 33, 23 wickets at 42.35