• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15th Match - South Africa v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

SeamUp

International Coach
Markram please show your talent and ability today and score some big runs.
Hopefully this is the innings that kick starts his ODI cricket.

1 step at a time but there is no spin to concern him later on.

The CricViz Analyst
‏@cricvizanalyst
Aiden Markram is one of the most promising Test batsmen in the world, and he does have potential as an ODI player - but few batsmen have a more obvious achilles heel. Markram averages 41.38 against pace bowling, but just 18.25 against spin. That is unsustainable.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Though I agree with that feeling, it doesn't explain this particular chapter of the book of great umpiring blunders.
Some of the LBW decisions have just been terrible, but I wonder if they are not giving it out when clearly hitting middle of middle, knowing that the fielding team will go for it if they that confident.... and similarly I feel like some of the caught decisions are being given out knowing that if the batsmen did not hit it will immediately review.

You are right some confirmational bias but does feel like it sometimes.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully this is the innings that kick starts his ODI cricket.
I think he needs a big innings to get his confidence going. In ODI's at the moment he looks very uncertain, which is not like him. He is probably being overly tough on himself.

Dammit....

Spark

Global Moderator
Some of the LBW decisions have just been terrible, but I wonder if they are not giving it out when clearly hitting middle of middle, knowing that the fielding team will go for it if they that confident.... and similarly I feel like some of the caught decisions are being given out knowing that if the batsmen did not hit it will immediately review.

You are right some confirmational bias but does feel like it sometimes.
The not out decision against Smith yesterday was particularly wtf. I actually assumed that he'd hit it, because otherwise there's surely no way you can do anything other than give that out before the appeal even starts in earnest. And yet...

SeamUp

International Coach
The not out decision against Smith yesterday was particularly wtf. I actually assumed that he'd hit it, because otherwise there's surely no way you can do anything other than give that out before the appeal even starts in earnest. And yet...
Definitely was the shock of it. Smith doesn't get hit in front very often despite those pads looking so big in front of middle :laugh:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The only excuse I could think up yesterday (other than he had hit it) is Smith got into a bit of a tangle and got struck on the front pad in a weird position, so maybe the umpire thought going down.... but that is a proverbial clutching at straws on the umpires behalf.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
3 50s this tournament for SA is so poor but these are the two that got them + Rassie which is basically our batting.

SeamUp

International Coach
If the umpires go off for this then this game is over...... but I think it was losing our first three matches that has knocked us out!
It certainly was. A rain effected match is just the apt final nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
How was that given from an umpire position....

I am seriously starting to feel that umpires are giving some decisions on the basis that they know a review is available.
Unbelievably bad yet again. Embarrassing in our sports premier tournament. Definitely needs addressing.