• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Offical** Commentary complaints thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's still better than Tendulkar. Tendulkar was garbage. All he did was come in and talk about UNICEF and some generic bull**** and dipped. He sounds like my 70 year old maid.
haha tbf he was there in the capacity of a UNICEF ambassador. He's not very good with words though.

andmark

International Captain
If I'm cheddar, Dan Norcross is a cheese grater. He just really makes me cringe horrendously when he's on for some reason. He's so awful. Urgh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Can't possibly agree with that.

Will suggest that if you can avoid Vaughan - which is not easy to do - TMS has generally been the best quality commentary this summer, especially when you include some of the gests they've had from ABC.

andmark

International Captain
Can't possibly agree with that.

Will suggest that if you can avoid Vaughan - which is not easy to do - TMS has generally been the best quality commentary this summer, especially when you include some of the gests they've had from ABC.
Oh yeah, I do love TMS. I think the thing with Vaughan is that he can be okay for reasonably long periods, but then he'll say something really stupid whilst Norcross will just do a persistent thing of small level nonsense. It's like waiting for a while to be punched and then a while for the next whereas Norcross is constantly poking you.

Bahseph

State Captain
Jadeja calling Sanjay Manjrekar out on being called a bits and pieces player is so over due. Anyone calling him out is over due. Probably the only commentator I actually mute.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jadeja calling Sanjay Manjrekar out on being called a bits and pieces player is so over due. Anyone calling him out is over due. Probably the only commentator I actually mute.
Professional commentator: *gives opinion on cricket player*
Cricket player: LOL BUT YOU WERE A CRAP PLAYER HAHAHAHA

I don't like Manjrekar either but it's a juvenile call out. This idea that commentators aren't allowed to criticise players better than they were is bull****. He wasn't just throwing shade; he was doing his job by providing his thoughts. His thoughts are usually pretty dire but attack him for that rather than coming up with some nonsense about respecting achievements.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess something like that happens precisely because he is bad at his job. Jadeja probably wouldn't reply to Mark Nicholas in the same situation.

OverratedSanity

Professional commentator: *gives opinion on cricket player*
Cricket player: LOL BUT YOU WERE A CRAP PLAYER HAHAHAHA

I don't like Manjrekar either but it's a juvenile call out. This idea that commentators aren't allowed to criticise players better than they were is bull****. He wasn't just throwing shade; he was doing his job by providing his thoughts. His thoughts are usually pretty dire but attack him for that rather than coming up with some nonsense about respecting achievements.
You're right but Manjrekar does not deserve your defense. Manjrekar's commentary is usually dripping with sarcasm and he comes off a total douche ,so "*gives opinion on cricket player*" is a kind description of his commentary

Plus, Jadeja made it hilarious because he tweeted it, deleted it and then apparently reposted it after correcting a typo. WAFG

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I generally agree with Cribb here - basing our assessment of commentators on how good they were as players is how we ended up with Botham and Warne on Sky - but sometimes an ex-player could do with being reminded of the players they were and the decisions they would have made at the time.

Like when the ex-captains who would never have declared when they were on the field suddenly get a boutof getonwithititis in the box. Or Rameez Raja claims not to understand why a batsman is playing defensively. Sometimes you know they're talking bollocks because of their cricketing career.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Chanderpaul was even worse on this measure. Even taking into consideration that he as probably only about 80% as good as Tendulkar as a batsman, he was about about 40% as good as a captain, and that's saying something because Tendulkar really sucked as a captain. Chanderpaul was an ATG in terms of bad captaincy; it was truly a sight to behold.
legit looked like he'd never played or seen a game of cricket in his life.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What a dumb tweet. Hopefully guys like pews realize that "juvenile callouts" are what morons like him deserve.
Nah I think some of the other replies that said much more interesting things than "LoL yOu WeRe CrAp At CrIcKeT" were much better. I even said in my post that I didn't like the guy; doesn't mean it's not a **** retort. Just makes him look better in the job he's doing which is the last thing we want if we want him out of it (and I do).

OverratedSanity

Nah I think some of the other replies that said much more interesting things than "LoL yOu WeRe CrAp At CrIcKeT" were much better. I even said in my post that I didn't like the guy; doesn't mean it's not a **** retort. Just makes him look better in the job he's doing which is the last thing we want if we want him out of it (and I do).
You still don't get it tho. The "LoL yOu WeRe CrAp At CrIcKeT" argument against manjrekar arguably is a valid point because a lot of people (Jadeja included) think that much of what Sanjay says on commentary comes from a place of bitterness and jealousy. It's not "you can't criticize me because you were bad at cricket", but more like "your criticism is invalid because you were bad at cricket and your resentment is what fuels you, not any sense of wanting to be constructive or insightful"

Now, I don't know if it's actually true because I'm not a mind reader but that's what a lot of Indian cricketers seem to believe and why a lot of people don't like him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Possibly true in general , but if the India team actually wants a (Indian) commentator out, they probably can be complete cry-babies about it and still get their wish easy enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You still don't get it tho. The "LoL yOu WeRe CrAp At CrIcKeT" argument against manjrekar arguably is a valid point because a lot of people (Jadeja included) think that much of what Sanjay says on commentary comes from a place of bitterness and jealousy. It's not "you can't criticize me because you were bad at cricket", but more like "your criticism is invalid because you were bad at cricket and your resentment is what fuels you, not any sense of wanting to be constructive or insightful"

Now, I don't know if it's actually true because I'm not a mind reader but that's what a lot of Indian cricketers seem to believe and why a lot of people don't like him.
This would be fair if it were true. I just think "LoL yOu WeRe CrAp At CrIcKeT" conforms way too much to what I think of Jadeja for it to be more nuanced than that without actual evidence tbh.

vcs

Possibly true in general , but if the India team actually wants a (Indian) commentator out, they probably can be complete cry-babies about it and still get their wish easy enough.
True, LOL. Didn't they get Harsha Bhogle kicked out for some random reason?