• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Injuries thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never a nice topic, more so during the biggest tourney we have.

Just a thread to document any injuries picked up by players in the lead up to/ during the WC.

Will kick off with Warner's leg injury which kept him out of the SL warm up and has him in some doubt for Australia's first game. Conflicting stories have him out of game one, others say just a precaution.

Hopefully the shortest and least patronized thread of the tournament.

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was looking forward to seeing that lunatic running in . One of the World's greats in this generation of bowlers :( . I suppose there might be an outside chance he'll make the next World Cup . Plenty of older players have come into this CWC'19 tournament , some on one leg and carrying a bit of weight :D .

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was looking forward to seeing that lunatic running in . One of the World's greats in this generation of bowlers :( . I suppose there might be an outside chance he'll make the next World Cup . Plenty of older players have have come into this CWC'19 tournament , some on one leg and carrying a bit of weight :D .
Haha I reckon there's much more chance that he'll never play cricket again. A reasonably close second would be another 18 months of Tests interrupted by the same injury first. If he's still playing at the next WC I'll donate $1000 to a charity of your choice (as long as it's not the Cancer Council of Australia).

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly it has been a reccuring theme for a few years for Steyn. Since that Perth test where he did his shoulder, we haven't really seen the consistently brilliant Steyn of old, there's been glimpses of his best but usually closely followed by a spell on the sidelines.

If this is the end, it's a sad day for all fans of fast bowling

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Sad news about Steyn but his selection for this WC reminded me of when SA selected Donald for the 2003 WC.

Selecting a paceman in his mid-30s, past his best and recently damned by injuries based on his past glories just seemed a major misstep to me and asking for trouble.

I know there are examples like Glenn McGrath at the 2007 WC but those are pacemen who were more reliant on other factors than pace (or a Hadlee or Walsh) who could be viable in their mid-30s. Just couldn't see that happening with Steyn.

the big bambino

International Captain
Sad news about Steyn but his selection for this WC reminded me of when SA selected Donald for the 2003 WC.

Selecting a paceman in his mid-30s, past his best and recently damned by injuries based on his past glories just seemed a major misstep to me and asking for trouble.

I know there are examples like Glenn McGrath at the 2007 WC but those are pacemen who were more reliant on other factors than pace (or a Hadlee or Walsh) who could be viable in their mid-30s. Just couldn't see that happening with Steyn.
I'm not sure if its reliant on any specific skill a bowler has. It could be more a factor of ambition and physical capacity. Steyn still seems to have the ambition, at least his comments outwardly suggest he does. So I could imagine him still bowling those mid 140 outties except his body is telling him to retire because it can't endure the effort any more.

Flem274*

123/5
steyn often operates in the 130s, especially at home, so i can see him settling into an elder statesman chaminda vaas or richard hadlee mode. it's whether he would want to do that is the question.

biggest loss to the tournament for me. he's not the best odi bowler in the world, but he's the definitive bowler of our generation and it's not close.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jo Angel said upon his own retirement that his mind was still willing but his body was not able to cope anymore. I think that quote sums up Steyn's current predicament quite well