• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Past Tournaments

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
how much will Starc have to do to get in this for the next one? Not that much imo
Will be a good shout if he has a a good World Cup, but considering he is coming back off injury and was in somewhat patchy form before that I am not that optimistic. But if Starc is near his best he is a truly brilliant ODI bowler, Australia need him to fire

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starc is terrible 2015 just happened to be in the middle of a fluke bit of form
I disagree. Starc is a fantastic ODI bowler. It's turning him into a test player that's hurt his ODI bowling the most. He keeps missing our ODI season.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Saeed Anwar gets in the top 5 twice and still managed to score a ton in the 2003 when he was past his best. One of my favourite batsmen from that era, felt like he could've achieved more than he did.

Surprised how well Botham did with the ball in the 1992 tournament; thought he basically took the odd wicket only apart from the 3 in 4 deliveries v Australia. When you factor in some handy quick runs at the top of the order if he'd had a better final it would've been one of the best all-round WC performances.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So who had the best all round world cup ever? Jayasuriya, Klusener and Yuvraj have a shot, all 3 having bagged a player of tournament award at world cups. I'm sure Kallis or Pollock in between would have had a great world cup too.

stephen

So who had the best all round world cup ever? Jayasuriya, Klusener and Yuvraj have a shot, all 3 having bagged a player of tournament award at world cups. I'm sure Kallis or Pollock in between would have had a great world cup too.
Klusener easily.

The guy was a beast in 1999. Was almost impossible to dismiss. Made ridiculous runs at lightning pace and was one of the top wicket takers of the tournament.

mr_mister

Yeah Klusener by a ridiculous margin. Was he the only player to win player of the tournament without his team making the final? Says a bit

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
A rather short list of players with >200 runs and >10 wickets in same world cup:

PlayerMatRunsHSBat Av100WktsBBIBowl Av5CtAve Diff ↓Year
L Klusener (SA)928152*140.50175/2120.5811119.911999
Yuvraj Singh (INDIA)936211390.51155/3125.131365.362011
N Kapil Dev (INDIA)8303175*60.61125/4320.411740.181983
NC Johnson (ZIM)8367132*52.421124/4219.410133.011999
JM Davison (CAN)622611137.661103/1518.70118.962003
CJ Anderson (NZ)923175330143/1816.710316.282015
ST Jayasuriya (SL)1032112040.121103/3031.5058.622003

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...ate=results;trophy=12;type=allround;view=year

Last edited:

mr_mister

Gavin Hamilton topped scored for Scotland in 4 of 5 games at the '99 WC

Has anyone matched or bettered this at a WC?

stephen

Watching the 1999 world cup highlights, I'd forgotten that McGrath nabbed Tendulkar for a duck. Tendulkar obviously was McGrath's WC bunny.

Also, Bevan is completely underrated.

It's nice to watch the ball move off the seam and stay low occasionally as well. Forgot how good ODI cricket was back then.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's nice to watch the ball move off the seam and stay low occasionally as well. Forgot how good ODI cricket was back then.
I`m hoping that overhead conditions may actually make this an interesting WC (expecting nothing from the pitches) and not just a stupid slog fest. Even if the rain knocks SA out again....

While SA's best team probably was the '99 WC team, without Klusener SA did not play that great. He single-handedly won us a few games from dire positions after middle order collapsed. In-particular the Pakistan match.

stephen

Geez I just finished watching the WC semi.

Bevan was such a clutch player. Made a massive 65 and got a direct hit run out for the second time in the tournament.

Reiffel dropped two important catches.

The whole semi couldn't have been scripted better. Right from ball one the game ebbed and flowed, momentum shifting from one team to another, back forth like a pendulumpendulum a grandfather clock. Tick, SA is on top, tock Australia are cruising.

Warne was such a clutch player. Just totally mentally dominated South Africa. Just a totally brutal competitor.

I still feel my gut twist and turn on every ball of that match.

What a final. What a cup. Probably the best there ever was or will be.

mr_mister

Yeah I can only imagine how crazy Warnes reputation was after that match. His 3 wickets in no time at all to make SA 0-50 to 3-55 was fairytale stuff. Like he just decided it was time to turn it on at the most critical time. Epic ****e

stephen

Yeah I can only imagine how crazy Warnes reputation was after that match. His 3 wickets in no time at all to make SA 0-50 to 3-55 was fairytale stuff. Like he just decided it was time to turn it on at the most critical time. Epic ****e
I remember it like it was yesterday. SA were well and truly on top and Warne came on and the whole complexion of the match changed. You felt that while he was bowling, anything could happen. Every ball could be a wicket.

Which is bizarre because he bowled absolute puss in the tournament too that point. But it was like someone flicked a switch. He just bossed it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah,it was an epic game. I still remember my sister crying in the end because she was supporting the saffers in that world cup (after Pakistan ofc).